Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting really depressed about my tiny weight and nothing seems to work :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marktitan)
    Yes I realised that.

What you've got to realise is that I can't start lifting heavy heavy weights just yet! Think about it- I'm 6ft2 and weigh 9 stones- I'm very scrawny and would probably find it very difficult to lift much at the moment.
    I need to build on it. Telling me to man up and start lifting heavy isn't helpful.
    Yes it is, it is helpful. Do you realise I have been in the exact same position as you? I weighed 8st10 @ 5'10" and started lifting heavy and eating alot. I no longer look anorexic. It works. Lifting heavy means heavy for you. My first deadlift was 40kg for 5 or so reps and I was absolutely whacked afterwards. Just do it. Of course you dont want to walk into the gym for your first ever time and start maxing out, If youve never lifted, I would :

Go to the gym 3x for a week, just doing stuff like squat 2x10, Deadlift 2x10, bench 2x10. Just get used to every lift, do it with an empty bar if you have to. Consider it a break-in week. After youve lowered yourself in and youve had that initial week or so to get used to the lifts and how they feel, just jump in with SS and the 3x5's and the linear progression, and away you go. The book tells you how to do all lifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Yes it is, it is helpful. Do you realise I have been in the exact same position as you? I weighed 8st10 @ 5'10" and started lifting heavy and eating alot. I no longer look anorexic. It works. Lifting heavy means heavy for you. My first deadlift was 40kg for 5 or so reps and I was absolutely whacked afterwards. Just do it. Of course you dont want to walk into the gym for your first ever time and start maxing out, If youve never lifted, I would :

Go to the gym 3x for a week, just doing stuff like squat 2x10, Deadlift 2x10, bench 2x10. Just get used to every lift, do it with an empty bar if you have to. Consider it a break-in week. After youve lowered yourself in and youve had that initial week or so to get used to the lifts and how they feel, just jump in with SS and the 3x5's and the linear progression, and away you go. The book tells you how to do all lifts.
    Ahh right sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to say

How much did you put on /over how long?
    Also, how many calories did you eat a day approx? Lots of milk?:p:

ReputationRep:
    I put on just over a stone (making me 10 stone) from basically ******* about for a year and not eating properly at all, and never training legs, yadda yadda. Then it just stopped gaining (obviously).

I then upped my diet and it's been around 3500kcal for about the last 10 months, I think. Tbh i dont really count calories, I might eat less than that, or maybe more. I'm now just under 11 and a half stone. My current short term goal is 12 stone BW, which shouldn't take too long.

I tried the lots of milk thing and it does put weight on well, but I just realised after a while I was using milk as an excuse to not get more food down myself, so now I try to keep it to food as much as possible, rather than downing a pint of milk and calling it a snack/meal, I'll go actually cook a meal. Meals are better, but milk still works.

Keep at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    I put on just over a stone (making me 10 stone) from basically ******* about for a year and not eating properly at all, and never training legs, yadda yadda. Then it just stopped gaining (obviously).

I then upped my diet and it's been around 3500kcal for about the last 10 months. Some days I get easily 4000+ though, just depends if I'm eating crap or not. I'm now just under 11 and a half stone. My current short term goal is 12 stone BW, which shouldn't take too long.

I tried the lots of milk thing and it does put weight on well, but I just realised after a while I was using milk as an excuse to not get more food down myself, so now I try to keep it to food as much as possible, rather than downing a pint of milk and calling it a snack/meal, I'll go actually cook a meal. Meals are better, but milk still works.

Keep at it.
    From 8st10 to 11 and half stone?
    Wow that's impressive! :yep:

Can I ask how old you are?

I'm aiming to become around 10 and half stone which give me a healthy look (not look like a stick insect!)
    So I need to put on around 1 and half stones.

ReputationRep:
    Well no it's not impressive, not really. But of course at the time it is, and at the time one is just aiming to put on anything, so at 9 you aim for 10, then you aim for 11, then you aim for 12, ad infinitum. There's people on here who started lower than I did and are now heavier than me, but what everyone has in common is that they keep at it. I'm 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Put on 45lb by eating ridiculous amounts of food (5 meals a day) and drinking 2.5L whole milk.

The milk and overly excess cals will make you fat even as an ecto.

I'm lean as hell right now but still gaining weight by just eating slightly over BMR, nowhere near how much I used to eat and I struggled to put on weight then.

I think maybe if you stuff your face with crap loads of food it increases your metabolism causing you to eat even more. I mean I used to poop thrice a day!
    How did you cut btw? You must have lost a lot of fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Really expensive ones are good and I treat myself to them every couple of weeks.

Whole milk doesn't really have much, 2g per 100g vs Sausage which has around 11g Saturated per 100g (and trans fat too) and beef burgers which have around 7g sat fat, both are also high in salt content
    That's nice.

This is an actual picture I took of my collection:

I don't lie when I say I like burgers.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I don't lie when I say I like burgers.
    You are American, as such i very much do belive you.

I like meatier ones though, these are my weapon of choice

With blue cheese on them nom nom!

ReputationRep:
    You are American, as such i very much do belive you.

I like meatier ones though, these are my weapon of choice

With blue cheese on them nom nom!
    I do like meaty ones too, but I gotz to be cost effective.

I really should be a big ******* fat-ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I do like meaty ones too, but I gotz to be cost effective.

I really should be a big ******* fat-ass.
    Food is one thing I spend alot on (aside ******* bills) the rest is just, meh not fussed. As long as i have good food, clean sheets, a roof over my head and my gym money it's all good.

Depressed today, non training days are super homo!

ReputationRep:
    Food is one thing I spend alot on (aside ******* bills) the rest is just, meh not fussed. As long as i have good food, clean sheets, a roof over my head and my gym money it's all good.

Depressed today, non training days are super homo!

5:22 exactly.

(the rest is funny too )

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just an update and a few queries!

Food is going quite well- I'm managing to eat the solid meals a day and drinking plenty of milk (at least 4-5 pints) and seem to have actually put something on :p:
    Feeling bloated and stuff!

Been down the gym and familiarised myself with the equipment. It's all very strange and everyone around seemed to be giving me wierd looks when I was attempting the squat (which was very very difficult first time!!).
    One guy told me I should leave the barbell and just do isolation excersies on the resistance machines to build muscle-will this help? Going by starting strength I don't think this is the best option.

ReputationRep:

Food is going quite well- I'm managing to eat the solid meals a day and drinking plenty of milk (at least 4-5 pints) and seem to have actually put something on :p:

Been down the gym and familiarised myself with the equipment. It's all very strange and everyone around seemed to be giving me wierd looks when I was attempting the squat (which was very very difficult first time!!).
    One guy told me I should leave the barbell and just do isolation excersies on the resistance machines to build muscle-will this help? Going by starting strength I don't think this is the best option.
    What do YOU think?

ReputationRep:

Good, good, least your diet is going well, from what i can see. Just get the carbs and protein in, some good fats too. Fish, chicken, pasta, brown rice, oats, etc. Obviously milk is great. Get the pints in. Do you take protein shakes or creatine? Might be a good idea once you start really getting into your workout regime.

I agree, the squat is quite difficult to master, but once you've got it sorted you'll be sweet, like anything new really. You can use the machines yes, but i think it would be more beneficial for you to use the weights to gain, the heaviest you can do, as few as possible, to gain mass.

Have you got a split workout? Like chest mon, bis and maybe back tues, tris and legs weds etc? Rest and recovery is important too, if you overwork your muscles you will see very little progress, but all in all you seem to be doing well, and the guys on this forum and at your gym seem more then happy to help you out. Just keep determined and consistent and you'l do well Sir!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knoxuk)
    Have you got a split workout? Like chest mon, bis and maybe back tues, tris and legs weds etc? Rest and recovery is important too, if you overwork your muscles you will see very little progress, but all in all you seem to be doing well, and the guys on this forum and at your gym seem more then happy to help you out. Just keep determined and consistent and you'l do well Sir!
    We're all trying to keep this young squire AWAY from silly-ass weak bodybuilder bull**** and you're trying to undo all our hardwork!! What the hell is wrong with you?!?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck mate. I was 8 stone 5'8 at 21 ... am 23 now and weigh 9 1/2 stones by eating anything at any time.. Would like to see myself 11-12 stone in a couple of years time, but need to hit the gym but am self conscious of what people think... ARGH!!! You know, skinny guy with chicken arms what does he want at the gym.. look at him , he has no chance in life etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temptationsu)
    Good luck mate. I was 8 stone 5'8 at 21 ... am 23 now and weigh 9 1/2 stones by eating anything at any time.. Would like to see myself 11-12 stone in a couple of years time, but need to hit the gym but am self conscious of what people think... ARGH!!! You know, skinny guy with chicken arms what does he want at the gym.. look at him , he has no chance in life etc etc
    To get bigger?

Lose the ego. People are more interested in their own workouts than what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just an update:

I've put on 5lbs
    Seems the diet is working and the milk seems to be helping a lot. My body seems to adapting quite well although there are some minor annoying things :p:

Had an introduction to the gym but I might put on a bit of weight first before commencing starting strength. Is this perhaps advisable?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just an update:

I've put on 5lbs
    Seems the diet is working and the milk seems to be helping a lot. My body seems to adapting quite well although there are some minor annoying things :p:

Had an introduction to the gym but I might put on a bit of weight first before commencing starting strength. Is this perhaps advisable?
    No. You should start training yesterday. If you're just eating for the sake of gaining weight, you'll just add more fat than muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    I lifted what I could (so yes, very light weights). Nobody in the gym cares what you're lifting - they know that everyone has to start somewhere. Provided you're lifting with proper form, and not doing anything dangerous/annoying they won't care if another skinny guy joins the gym.
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    To get bigger?

Lose the ego. People are more interested in their own workouts than what you're doing.
    (Original post by SMed)
    No. You should start training yesterday. If you're just eating for the sake of gaining weight, you'll just add more fat than muscle.
    Hey!

I have a few queries I was just looking for a bit of advice from you

The diet is going reallly well, I'm putting on by the day but how much did you gain in one week/one month and what should I perhaps be aiming for?
    Is it necessary to have any protein/whey shakes pre/post workout?

Thanks! You've all reallly helped me get along with this and I hope to seee visible results soon!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.