Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'm not the only person here who is like this, but when I'm with a girl, one on one, I can never think of anything to say.
    Literally. Nothing. My mind goes blank.

And if I do think of anything, I feel it's too stupid/immature to say and then don't say anything for fear of putting said girl off or her suddenly disliking me.
    Speaking around girl friends I'm fine, because they know me, I know them, so I can say whatever I want without them really caring about it, but if I'm trying to impress a girl then my mind goes blank and I can't speak. I can text them fine but it's just face to face is where the problem is.

This really puts me off asking girls out for fear of them thinking "well that was a crap date, he's so boring" when really I can be a pretty fun/interesting guy, I just freeze up and can't think of anything to say. Or if they speak and I can't think of anything to reply with, being labelled a "good listener" and nothing else. Alcohol or having friends I know around makes this go away of course, but I don't want to be drunk all the time, or have friends with me all the time either.

Anyone else like this and have any tips about what to do about it? There's a girl I like right now and I can't ask her out because of above problems, and it's really getting me down.
    Ta.

Edit: Sorry if this makes little sense, I'm in a bit of a rush right now.

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to know what to say in person to someone you dont know very well. Can you text the girl and find out a little more about her before you meet up again so you have something to talk about?

Alternatively, just keep asking her about herself on the date, girls love to talk about themselves lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    Alternatively, just keep asking her about herself on the date, girls love to talk about themselves lol.
    Yup :yep:

Girls love to talk...about themselves...just don't interrupt them :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Practice makes perfect. After a while you'll probably find you open up a bit you can't be awkward forever.

ReputationRep:
    As Smile88egc said, just keep asking about them - their family, hobbies etc, then talk about your own back if she asks you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski91)
    Hopefully I'm not the only person here who is like this, but when I'm with a girl, one on one, I can never think of anything to say.
    Literally. Nothing. My mind goes blank.

And if I do think of anything, I feel it's too stupid/immature to say and then don't say anything for fear of putting said girl off or her suddenly disliking me.
    Speaking around girl friends I'm fine, because they know me, I know them, so I can say whatever I want without them really caring about it, but if I'm trying to impress a girl then my mind goes blank and I can't speak. I can text them fine but it's just face to face is where the problem is.

This really puts me off asking girls out for fear of them thinking "well that was a crap date, he's so boring" when really I can be a pretty fun/interesting guy, I just freeze up and can't think of anything to say. Or if they speak and I can't think of anything to reply with, being labelled a "good listener" and nothing else. Alcohol or having friends I know around makes this go away of course, but I don't want to be drunk all the time, or have friends with me all the time either.

Anyone else like this and have any tips about what to do about it? There's a girl I like right now and I can't ask her out because of above problems, and it's really getting me down.
    Ta.

Edit: Sorry if this makes little sense, I'm in a bit of a rush right now.
    You need to make her want to impress you, make her feel that YOUR the target. Your gonna have to act confident and don't have a fear of talking to a girl you like, try and tease her and have a bit of banter with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    You need to make her want to impress you, make her feel that YOUR the target. Your gonna have to act confident and don't have a fear of talking to a girl you like, try and tease her and have a bit of banter with her.

I love brunettes too Nice sig.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember, they don't know you and obviously want to get to know you. Just tell them everything, or any random little anecdote from recently or whatever. They want to get to know you, and this is how they'll do it. Additionally ask them about everything, makes you seem interested in them, even if you don't give a **** about what their dad does for a living.

ReputationRep:
    Eh I always thought constantly asking questions about someone's life would get boring for some reason. Maybe that's just me.
    I'll try that if I get around to actually asking her out, she goes away in a few days and has stuff to do between now and then, not to mention the weather is ***** anyway.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Adamski91)
    Eh I always thought constantly asking questions about someone's life would get boring for some reason. Maybe that's just me.
    I'll try that if I get around to actually asking her out, she goes away in a few days and has stuff to do between now and then, not to mention the weather is ***** anyway.
    I would just take a leap of faith and do it, you dont really have much to loose..

and btw is this cod2 NM Adamaski?

ReputationRep:
    I was like that on my date where I couldn't think of anything to say, but that was only because her mate and her boyfriend were with us and we didn't have much time to ourselves accept at the back of her mates boyfriends car.

I would of been ok if it was just me and her. That's probably why she didn't want to see me again because I didn't talk much but that's not my fault I had just met the girl face to face, and was just a little nervous but she couldn't understand that!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.