Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Russians snub Obama, refuse to shake his hand Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    1) It was not punishable by death.

2) That was over 30 years ago. Society has progressed rapidly since then, apart from a few backwater dictatorships.
    True. Jail in Victorian times though... Oscar Wilde went to the local Reading one for it... Nowadays, plenty of gays, esp at college (not a big deal I guess)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    That's why Iranians like yourself are needed to correct people like that, especially when they constantly refer to the Iranian people as 'we', thus encapsulating them within their repugnant, bigoted mentality.

I do fear that there are a hefty proportion of Iranians which follow Batefail's repulsive mentality. It's comforting to know that not all of them are like this, however.
    What was the name of your previous TSR account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Neville '*******' Bartos.

ReputationRep:
    ^
    How hilarious....

ReputationRep:
    Whhhoooooooooo caaaaaaaarrrrreeeeeeeeeessssssss ssssssssssssssssssss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by over 9000!)
    are you a complete retard?
    I seriously doubt it. You on the other hand... :rolleyes:

the uk does not buy oil or gas from russia.
    Not directly, much of our natural gas is set to come from the likes of Malaysia, or indeed Russia as our North Sea gas is running out faster than the oil is (IIRC). We certainly started using more than we extract five or ten years ago (can't be arsed to Google), and as it happens my wife was involved in arranging the finance for the construction of a new liquid gas terminal.

and as for military hardware you seem to be unaware that britains very own BAE systems is the worlds second largest miltary supplier.
    And our largest customer happens to be The Pentagon. Anyway, what relevance has this got? I was merely listing just about the only things that Russia exports in any significant quantity, just because we don't by AK94's and Migs, it doesn't mean that other countries don't. IIRC volume-wise Russia is one of the biggest arms export countries, if not the top one. Its just that what they sell is by and large cheap tat, or ammo for all the AK's floating around Sub-Saharan Africa

we will do fine without those vodka swilling thugs
    Well all the ones that have fallen out with Putin and his mob are certainly helping to push up the property prices in Chelsea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Mate, I like you and all, I think you're :awesome:

But come on, you know that's a lie. Bahais, women, homosexuals and so on are treated outrageously.

Read this:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL34021.pdf

I agree that the treatment of Jews by the Iranian regime is better than the Arabs, but it is not ideal.
    Jews aren't treated that badly, yes it is not ideal but it isn't horrible either...Israeli Jews are hated but generally the Jews in Iran are respected...

In the midst of tensions between the lU.S and Iran and between Iran and Israel, Iranian-Jewish Americans and Israelis offered money to the remaining Jews in Iran in order to help them relocate to California and/or Israel. In August 2007, the Iranian Jews in Iran, responded by saying they "resent such transparent political enticements."

Iran's Jewish community is officially recognized as a religious minority group by the government, and, like the Zoroastrians, they are allocated one seat in the Iranian Parliament. Ciamak Moresadegh is the current Jewish member of the parliament, replacing Maurice Motamed in the 2008 election. In 2000, former Jewish MP Manuchehr Eliasi estimated that at that time there were still 30,000–35,000 Jews in Iran, other sources put the figure as low as 20,000–25,000.

Today Tehran has 11 functioning synagogues, many of them with Hebrew schools. It has two kosher restaurants, an old-age home and a cemetery. There is a Jewish library with 20,000 titles. Iranian Jews have their own newspaper (called "Ofogh-e-Bina") with Jewish scholars performing Judaic research at Tehran's "Central Library of Jewish Association". The "Dr. Sapir Jewish Hospital" is Iran's largest charity hospital of any religious minority community in the country; however, most of its patients and staff are Muslim.

Homosexuals are treated badly, cant argue with that! I guess you could say women aren't treated well either...they don't have much in the way of rights but that does seem to be slowly improving....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Dupes are allowed as long as the dupe isn't being used to break rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Listen to this guy, i thought first that he was being snubbed then watched it again and hes introducing people.
    This, but it looked quite obvious to me :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.