Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.comrades.com

So I'd written myself of as not fit enough for this in 2010, but a quick perusal of their training guides, and it would appear that there are plans starting now, for people of my ability and lower. Not sure quite whether to go for it, as it is a big commitment, and I don't even know if I can afford it yet...

Does anybody have any experience with it, know somebody who has run it, etc? I have a few questions, fairly wide ranging - costs, physical capacity, etc. Would be nice to know if this is an achievable dream, or just a dream. :erm:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well you've got a year to get into shape! I've managed to go from no running at all to managing about 5/6 miles per day in about 3 months or so...

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah. The training programs they show seem to start with way less running than I am currently doing, so delaying the "official" training shouldn't be a problem for me. I'm more nervous about the fact it would be my first ultra, and the financial side of it - in that respect I guess anyone who travels to SA might know...

Costs of getting out there in May? Best ways to do these things... If they did it, did they find anybody willing to sponsor them? etc...

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to eventually run that, it looks amazing. We'll see how the marathon goes in October before I think about anything longer though!

Gypsy King - an ultra that's a little closer to home that you might be interested in is the Connemara ultra, 39.3 miles (1.5x marathon distance). It's on in April.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocalypte)
    I'd love to eventually run that, it looks amazing. We'll see how the marathon goes in October before I think about anything longer though!

Gypsy King - an ultra that's a little closer to home that you might be interested in is the Connemara ultra, 39.3 miles (1.5x marathon distance). It's on in April.
    Thanks for the heads-up. My boss is a pretty established ultra runner, so there's plenty of events I get wind of if you're interested. Comrades does look something else though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.