The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I've had pretty good success with temp agencies tbh, never been out of work for more then a couple weeks.

One in particular which are very good and I intend to use during summers back from Uni etc.

All I can advise is to make sure YOU are doing the chasing up, they have 1000's of people on record and its easy for them to 'forget' you, ring them up every so often to remind them you are still looking for work etc.

Reply 2
I found Adecco to be crap, even when I did chasing up...

Try a local one, I have a favourite agency where I live for whom I temped during 6th form/ gap year, and they have now helped me get a full time job-only took a week.
Reply 3
Could anyone suggest any temping agencies?
I used Reed and they found me work within a few days of going in.
Reply 5
RachelBabyfrog
I used Reed and they found me work within a few days of going in.

So you do not have to sign up online?
pina.Love

I just went into a branch and made an appointment to sign up, did a typing speed and accuracy test, and a Microsoft Office test and had a job lined up within three days!
I joined an agency and worked throughout 2 summer holidays, christmas break and also evenings in the week during sixth form at the same place so soon enough the factory in which I worked was requesting me even when I hadn't been in for a while.

I think it's because I rang about every other day to see what had come up, told them I'd do anything, was willing to work flexible hours etc. Also make sure they know you're not going anywhere real soon, like leaving to go away for uni. It makes you a better candidtae :p:
pina.Love

Go into an agencies office :smile: It's nice when you can show enthusiasm etc
Reply 9
Last Summer I didn't have any luck with temp agencies. I was looking to work for about 1.5 - 2 months during the Summer, but I left it a bit late and apparently they all had loads of students on their books already, so they didn't want me!
However, this year I was more successful. I only managed to register in person with two agencies but one of them is pretty good. It's called Pertemps, and as I live in Edinburgh they provide most of the temps for places in the Scottish Government, and there are loads of them. On quite a lot of the websites for national temp agencies you just seem to register online, but I'd definitely suggest that you phone them up, e-mail them your CV and phone them back again a few days after you've sent your CV. You definitely have to be the one to make an effort. I doubt Pertemps would have got back to me after I e-mailed them my CV, but when I phoned them back checking that someone had had a chance to look over my CV I was immediately offered a slot to register with them at their office.
So yeah, phone as many as you can, e-mail in your CV and follow it up with a phone call. You could try just going into their offices without an appointment but I was never brave enough to do this...
Reed
Anne Jagger
Premier People

Are the ones i've found to be good. Signed up with premier people on monday and had a job on the tuesday.
Helps if you have typing skills and experience definately.
reed!!! Just apply for the jobs online reed.co.uk.
Anne Jagger as well.

On your CV...emphasise your work experience. And make sure the covering letter is tailored to the job.
I registered with a few agencies but found unless you really do ring them up every other day they will assume you arn't that motivated to get a job and other people are. I also went in at least once a week to show my face :smile:
Reply 13
questionmark
reed!!! Just apply for the jobs online reed.co.uk.
Anne Jagger as well.

On your CV...emphasise your work experience. And make sure the covering letter is tailored to the job.

Hmm...I dont have that much work exp:frown:
How long did it take you to get a job at reed
pina.Love
Hmm...I dont have that much work exp:frown:
How long did it take you to get a job at reed

Reed...it took me 4 weeks.
I've only just got a job after 4-5 weeks of straight job hunting and about 170-200 job applications.

Well embellish what you have. For example when I looked at my CV I realised I wasn't making the most of it. At my last job I remembered I did photocopying,sending e-mails etc...so I added on my CV I have experience with 'general administration duties'. You've got to exagerrate a lil bit...esp in these times.
Reply 15
questionmark
Reed...it took me 4 weeks.
I've only just got a job after 4-5 weeks of straight job hunting and about 170-200 job applications.

Well embellish what you have. For example when I looked at my CV I realised I wasn't making the most of it. At my last job I remembered I did photocopying,sending e-mails etc...so I added on my CV I have experience with 'general administration duties'. You've got to exagerrate a lil bit...esp in these times.

True..thanks
Is it worth looking smart to go in and sign up with a temping agency or does it not matter?
Reply 17
Abhead
Is it worth looking smart to go in and sign up with a temping agency or does it not matter?

Yeah I'd go smart casual, you don't need to go in a full suit but obviously don't turn up looking like you've been dragged out the gutter. You need to make yourself look a good candidate.

And with regards to CVs mentioned above- embellish but DON'T LIE. You will be found out when you get to your job and you don't have the skills you claimed to have.
Reply 18
I'd recommend Reed and Brook Street. I had a 4 day temp job with Brook Street recently as a Receptionist, and because they received really good feedback about me after the 4 days they called me up telling me what jobs they had lined up almost every day, and said i would be one of the first candidates they'd ring if anything came up. So i'd also say that you should always try your best with every temp job you do because it's more likely that they'll consider you for any other jobs that come around!
Reply 19
Jozeesh
I'd recommend Reed and Brook Street. I had a 4 day temp job with Brook Street recently as a Receptionist, and because they received really good feedback about me after the 4 days they called me up telling me what jobs they had lined up almost every day, and said i would be one of the first candidates they'd ring if anything came up. So i'd also say that you should always try your best with every temp job you do because it's more likely that they'll consider you for any other jobs that come around!

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending