Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by AP_89)
    They have a better quality of life, a very rich and impressive history (like the UK) and many amazing sights.

Who cares about military? Tell it to the poor sods waiting for operations or in comp schools.
    No they do not have a better quality of life. Economically the people of Britain are more affluent and better off, and we don't have racist immigration policy, our leader doesn't hire young slutty politicians, we have better health care and education. Ok so Italy has better weather, which they can't even control - well done Italy, good for you, have a cookie.

I do like the history there I have to say - but I like ours too, I find Rome overrated anyways, I prefer more eastern and southern ancient cultures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    I'm half italian, Italy, is shocking in places. I stay about 45 minutes south of Rome, near Cassino in the mountains with my family every year.

The lifestyle of italian farmers is so simple its unbelivable, but they are happy, and they enjoy it. What shocked me, was that in a town like Cassino, which is pretty damn big.

There is no hot water at the hospital after 8pm.

How can any country say they are better then England in any way, when the hospitals are in a state like that, in another case, in the same hospital, a baby died after being strangled by it's umbilical cord, now many babies are born, and have the cord round their neck, but it's a simple procedure to cut it if you are an experienced doctor. However at the time, there was no skilled doctor around that could cut the cord, and as a result the baby died.

I love Italy, but the difference in the quality of life deteriorates the further south you go in many cases, untill they fix up their hospitals, England is better in my eyes, unless you talk weather...
    England is better. (Anyway I live near cities like Venice/Padua/Treviso and the lifestyle is much better than down there:p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I wish Gordon Brown hired politicans based on looks and their willingness to sleep with him - that's how to run a country.
    hahah! hit the nail on the head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    No they do not have a better quality of life. Economically the people of Britain are more affluent and better off, and we don't have racist immigration policy, our leader doesn't hire young slutty politicians, we have better health care and education. Ok so Italy has better weather, which they can't even control - well done Italy, good for you, have a cookie.

I do like the history there I have to say - but I like ours too, I find Rome overrated anyways, I prefer more eastern and southern ancient cultures.
    Look up the definition of quality of life. I'm not talking about the standard of life here.

ReputationRep:
    Italy is 8th in the quality of life index. UK is 29th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malak7)
    England is better. (Anyway I live near cities like Venice/Padua/Treviso and the lifestyle is much better than down there:p: )
    I have no evidence to back anything up, but I imagine the lifestyle in Milan etc would be on a par if not better than England, but apparantly there is so much crime in Milan, not that there isn't in England.

Rome on the other hand, I love it there, I would choose living there, right in the centre of the city than in England, just because it's amazing, but then again, I was in a really nice hotel doing no work or anything!

ReputationRep:
    italy is a joke country, burlesconi. Forget the current economic crisis, they've been in four recessions in the past seven years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I'm sorry, but no. Italy hasn't been better than Britain since the fall of the Romans. As patriotic as I am, I can recoginse that there are arguments for Germany - and even France - being better than Britain, but Italy? No way, that's just taking the piss.

Higher GDP, better universities, fairer legal system, we don't have dicks like Berlusconi for politicians (yes, he's worse than Brown), better music, London, Aston Martin, better literature, Somerset, we are just better.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Italy is 8th in the quality of life index. UK is 29th.
    That's because it's British culture to complain. Ofc they're not going to rank highly on surveys that ask How happy are you?

ReputationRep:
    Italy is a corrupt mess. Crime actually IS bad and muggings are frequent. The universities are crap too. We beat them in literature, music, tennis tournaments, media, hell even cities and beaches. Their beaches are all bought up and commercial. We have less racism and less religious interference too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    They have a better quality of life, a very rich and impressive history (like the UK) and many amazing sights.

Who cares about military? Tell it to the poor sods waiting for operations or in comp schools.
    Historically, yes, the Romans were extremely important (despite the fact that they appeared to have left no influence on us at all, 5 minutes after they left we were back to making houses out of mud and washing our clothes in cess pits for the next 1000 years ..) but after that the was a huge void where they did nothing - except get pushed around by France - until Mussolini came along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    I have no evidence to back anything up, but I imagine the lifestyle in Milan etc would be on a par if not better than England, but apparantly there is so much crime in Milan, not that there isn't in England.

Rome on the other hand, I love it there, I would choose living there, right in the centre of the city than in England, just because it's amazing, but then again, I was in a really nice hotel doing no work or anything!
    Rome is a really nice city as a tourist
    Milan is okay but as you wrote there is a lot of criminality and apart from the centre the city just sucks (in my opinion). Italy is nice as a tourist but it's true, criminality, corruption, racism are a problem. I wouldn't say England is perfect but at least it doesn't have politicians with crime records as we do:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to compare the 2.
    When I was in Italy last week, I saw so many differences. They don't neccessarily make it a better or worse country, but it makes them individual.

I love the charm of small towns with small, narrow, windy streets etc. which make them look like houses have been put anywhere, but at the same time I really like our small towns and villages and their [sometimes] uniformity.

Bias is going to play a massive part in this. In my opinion though, however much I like the country, I couldn't live there on a long term basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    Berlusconi is a ****, I agree. I'm sorry to say I actually voted for him :o: , but to be honest, considering the other candidates, he was the best choice.

noo :p: you should have not voted then

ReputationRep:
    They can be so annoying (the ones in London).
    They're obsessed with Italy; they have to have a massive Italian flag hanging in every room of their houses.
    Everyone HAS to know they're Italian. Every single sentence involves "yeah well I'm Italian).
    Everything they do is Italian... everything they say is about how much better it would be if they were in Italy.
    Every single FB status is "FORZA ITALIA!!!!" and they never shut the hell up about winning the football.
    And they all bunch together in little groups of Italianess, because God forbid they should hang out with someone who's not Italian!
    They would never go to an Indian restaurant; hellll no. Every restaurant they go to has to be a derivative of Little Italy. Because they can never get enough of their spaghetti.
    *Sigh*

ReputationRep:
    ITALY IS BETTER THAN ENGLAND. FACT. U can mention all the things that dont affect your life directly ( red buses, tennis, and what not....) but at the end of the day italy is a safer country, and life is better/longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    Only down south in the tiny villages, most of which are slowly dying out as the younger generation moves north. The village where my mother was born is like that. The closest hospital is half an hour away.

Tuscany is absolutely beautiful and if I found a decent job there I would move there in a heartbeat. The social life there is so different, everyone is friendly, happy and chatty. Also fell in love with Venice ... absolutely beautiful.

The food in Italy is amazing and the lifestyle is healthy. Whenever I go there I look and feel better. Weather is amazing too and always puts me in a good mood. :yep:

I also prefer the family values ... and the men :p: . Many Italian men are old-fashioned romantics. I find british men to be rather emotionally stunted in comparison.

Berlusconi is a ****, I agree. I'm sorry to say I actually voted for him :o: , but to be honest, considering the other candidates, he was the best choice.
    The food, the women, the weather, all great, but just for how backwards it feels living in southern Italy for a few weeks, just really annoys me, the population in the south is ageing so much as you said because of the youth moving north, but you cant just abandon half a country! Still, I do love Italy, but England edges it for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    ITALY IS BETTER THAN ENGLAND. FACT. U can mention all the things that dont affect your life directly ( red buses, tennis, and what not....) but at the end of the day italy is a safer country, and life is better/longer.

Yeah, I hear it's amazing in the Mezzogiorno..

Oh, no, wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easywellyes)
    That's because it's British culture to complain. Ofc they're not going to rank highly on surveys that ask How happy are you?
    I agree, we love to moan. And queuing, a good queue is always fun. Maybe the two should be combined.

But yes, Britons complain even when we have nothing to complain about - but we keep a stiff upper lip and never actually show the unhappiness or let it get to us (because it's just superficial, mostly). Therefore I think a better way to measure happiness - or rather, unhappiness - is to look at suicide rates. Italy, proportionately 63rd in the world; Britain, 66th in the world. So, they may be "happier" ... yet they are still more likely to kill themselves? Can't be that happy then.

ReputationRep:
    In some ways yes, in other ways definitely not.

At least Italians are proud of their country though, something we seem to have lost over here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.