Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    They can be so annoying (the ones in London).
    They're obsessed with Italy; they have to have a massive Italian flag hanging in every room of their houses.
    Everyone HAS to know they're Italian. Every single sentence involves "yeah well I'm Italian).
    Everything they do is Italian... everything they say is about how much better it would be if they were in Italy.
    Every single FB status is "FORZA ITALIA!!!!" and they never shut the hell up about winning the football.
    And they all bunch together in little groups of Italianess, because God forbid they should hang out with someone who's not Italian!
    They would never go to an Indian restaurant; hellll no. Every restaurant they go to has to be a derivative of Little Italy. Because they can never get enough of their spaghetti.
    *Sigh*
    Same as most ethnic people.

ReputationRep:
    Italy doesn't have chavs

ReputationRep:
    The UK has a manchester...Rome and even the Vatican city does not compare.
    Italy is a backward provincial country...Pasta is nowt, it is all about the chippy.

ReputationRep:
    They're obsessed with Italy; they have to have a massive Italian flag hanging in every room of their houses.
    Everyone HAS to know they're Italian. Every single sentence involves "yeah well I'm Italian).
    Everything they do is Italian... everything they say is about how much better it would be if they were in Italy.
    Every single FB status is "FORZA ITALIA!!!!" and they never shut the hell up about winning the football.
    And they all bunch together in little groups of Italianess, because God forbid they should hang out with someone who's not Italian!
    They would never go to an Indian restaurant; hellll no. Every restaurant they go to has to be a derivative of Little Italy. Because they can never get enough of their spaghetti.
    *Sigh*
    Some people are like this, but most Italians aren't.

Indeed, the same of kind of patriotism and group identity you mention could be said for a whole host of ethnic groups - the Italian community (in the UK at least) really isn't as large by comparison.

ReputationRep:
    *Sigh*
    but the REALLY most annoying ones are the british!!!
    - obsessed with england! u see a flag every where!! they even wear the flag on clothes!!
    All they say is CMON ENGLAND! and they never shut up about winning the world cup in 1966, cmon how many years ago was that!!
    and they dont mix that much you know! they complain about everyone that comes into their country!
    They go crazy about fish and chips!!! I think its the nations trademark dish...

ReputationRep:
    He's just angry that British newspapers like The Economist critisize him.

ReputationRep:
    It is a sad day when Italy, an ex-fascist country that has only just about hauled itself out of the third world in the last century, is seriously being posited as being better than Britain, and Britons are agreeing. That's a problem in itself.

Italy certainly has its problems, and I believe they are probably more serious than Britain's. But in reality, we're falling behind on general quality of life. If I lived in one of those terrible inner city slums which we seemed to construct in abundance back in the 1960s, I'd probably have a fairly negative view of this country to.

It's not for want of money or indeed want of a decent country: Britain is a beautiful place with incredible architecture and world-class infrastructure. The problem seems to be, frankly, with the people.

For some reason which I simply don't understand, British people seem to choose terrible life styles. Poor diets, little interaction with their community, excessive drinking, a rejection of tradition and culture, not giving a toss about the elderly, working excessively long hours, sitting in front of the television getting fed a world of trashy celebrity and ill-mannered vulgarity. Why?

With a bit of optimism, and a little effort, we really could make this country great in itself, rather than just great in terms of its achievements. Demolish the ugly council estates, rebuild our parks and communal spaces, arrest the drunkards, imprison the hooligans, turn off the telly, go to a parish council meeting, wander down to your local church occasionally and stop working so damn hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    - obsessed with england! u see a flag every where!! they even wear the flag on clothes!!
    All they say is CMON ENGLAND! and they never shut up about winning the world cup in 1966, cmon how many years ago was that!!
    and they dont mix that much you know! they complain about everyone that comes into their country!
    They go crazy about fish and chips!!! I think its the nations trademark dish...
    I have yet to see a flag of England everywhere...
    We won the world cup in 1966...what is wrong with stating that?
    I do mix, I am all for equal opportunities, in fact I tell you a lil sommat, I stuck an apple along with sweet in my pix n mix
    Fish and Chips is the best! Pasta, a funny shaped dough thing, pizza, it is just bread with cheese, not much excitement there lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Historically, yes, the Romans were extremely important (despite the fact that they appeared to have left no influence on us at all, 5 minutes after they left we were back to making houses out of mud and washing our clothes in cess pits for the next 1000 years ..) but after that the was a huge void where they did nothing - except get pushed around by France - until Mussolini came along.
    Renaissance? Enlightenment?

ReputationRep:
    That'll presumably be the British flag you mean. Quite right too - it's an excellent design. Unlike, if I may be so bold to say, the Italian flag - which is a bit, well, boring.

I'd say the vast, vast majority of British people have accepted immigrants and made them welcome. It's only a lunatic fringe who complain.

(Original post by L i b)
    I'd say the vast, vast majority of British people have accepted immigrants and made them welcome. It's only a lunatic fringe who complain.
    Compared to the Italian policy on immigration at the moment, which I linked earlier in this thread ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    I have yet to see a flag of England everywhere...
    We won the world cup in 1966...what is wrong with stating that?
    I do mix, I am all for equal opportunities, in fact I tell you a lil sommat, I stuck an apple along with sweet in my pix n mix
    Fish and Chips is the best! Pasta, a funny shaped dough thing, pizza, it is just bread with cheese, not much excitement there lad.

i dont understand when I asked the question to you specifically....
    My reply was to a quote, trying to show that everyone is equal.
    And i believe you are not british or moved to england after the 23 of april, if you have not seen a flag yet......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That'll presumably be the British flag you mean. Quite right too - it's an excellent design. Unlike, if I may be so bold to say, the Italian flag - which is a bit, well, boring.

yeh the flag is very original too. I believe it took time to mix all those flags together and come up with the union jack.
    At least the italian flag has got a meaning!

ReputationRep:
    I'm italian and I live in Italy and I think it's quite reductive saying "Italy is better then Britain" or vice versa. I really think that the problem with Italy is represented by its government, and I'm not just saying that Berlusconi is a bad prime minister (actually, he is),the thing is that left and right wings are pretty much the same.

Mafia and corruption are widespread in italian politics, but it's not the same everywhere. I live in Sardinia and here,despite the fact it's not the richest region of italy, life quality it's quite high. Low crime, virtually no air pollution and it's one of the few regions of italy without mafia or organized crime.

And as regards the health care, it's not true that everywhere it's not good,and the same applies to universities. Health care here in Sardinia (but I think this is case of most of italy) is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Well I love Italian men, I love italian food and I love hot weather so yeah Italy is better

ReputationRep:
    Italy's amazing. Positano. :love:

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand when I asked the question to you specifically....
    My reply was to a quote, trying to show that everyone is equal.
    And i believe you are not british or moved to england after the 23 of april, if you have not seen a flag yet......
    My birth certificate says I am British. Throughout my educations life, I have been to a British school. I am currently in Britain. Yes St Georges Day there are flags of England, but today as go I out, I yet to see an England flag everywhere...Kiss my ass!

ReputationRep:
    British Empire, the largest empire in history (larger than the Roman Empire). Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Accepted, but not wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    My birth certificate says I am British. Throughout my educations life, I have been to a British school. I am currently in Britain. Yes St Georges Day there are flags of England, but today as go I out, I yet to see an England flag everywhere...Kiss my ass!
    As you go out?? Mate your in front of a screen. That is not going out!! British..... Its arse by the way

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.