Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Italy doesn't have Yorkshire. :yep:
    Yeah, 'cause Yorkshire is awesome...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I'm sorry, but no. Italy hasn't been better than Britain since the fall of the Romans. As patriotic as I am, I can recoginse that there are arguments for Germany - and even France - being better than Britain, but Italy? No way, that's just taking the piss.

Higher GDP, better universities, fairer legal system, we don't have dicks like Berlusconi for politicians (yes, he's worse than Brown), better music, London, Aston Martin, better literature, Somerset, we are just better.
    Which of course is far better than having all of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati, Pagani...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    You cant dislike a whole genre of relatively bland food. It doesnt have strange textures, it's not too spicy, it's not eaten with bits of tree. If you dont like Italian food you dont like any Mediterranean or Western European cuisine. Do you not like meat? Vegetables? Flavour?
    Why is it so impossible for you to accept that I don't like Italian food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterMcPete)
    Mate, I could not give two ***** whether this has been discussed already or not, and if it has it just shows that other people can see what a bullsh*tter you are.

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive.../fullrankings/

The best italian uni according to this site is 192nd place. I'm not even going to count the number of british unis in front of it, but i can tell you its loads, loads more than just oxbridge, imperial and ucl. And what have french, german or spanish unis got to do with this, im ****ging off the third world country you live in.

I suggest you have a little read before replying, you wouldnt want to look like more of an idiot
    You assume World University Rankings have meaning. No they dont.

Admittedly I agree UCL is better than any Italian uni, but it is ridiculous to say the best Italian uni is 192nd in the world. Take a step back from the debate and ask yourself whether that is coherent with a country that produces some of the best and most successful politicians and businesses in the world today.

Italy has the oldest university in the world and continues to produce some of the world's brightest graduates. That the UK and US do so well in these rankings are a joke given that the undergrad standard in both countries is so low compared to Germany, France and Italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vander Beth)
    Why is it so impossible for you to accept that I don't like Italian food?
    It's pretty inconceivable that someone who likes food in Europe doesnt like an essentially similar style of cooking. Italian cooking goes beyond pizza and spaghetti bolognese, ja?

Maybe I can help you discover Italian food you do like and so enrich your life! Think of the fun we could have!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    *handinyourfaceemoticon*, you mean :hand:

You know what Paulie, you think about Jews FAR too much, why not just convert or something? I found a leaflet the other day from "Jews for Jesus", called "The crisis of Existentialism". Pretty Lulzy, esp. when they quoted Nietzsche.
    You should look into it. :yep:

And Italians>All? I guess that ***** you over then too Arab boy, ai?

Oy vey! :'(
    haha how appropriate!

You "found" a leaflet... uhuh... keep talking girl... Under a giant crab made of glitter? Jesus was a Jew anyway.

Anyway I dont need to be a jew cos Im half French Algerian and half English and we're superheroes. Second only to Italians.
    And this shouldnt detract from the fact that you should show more respect to the country that has brought us:
    1) Ice Cream.
    2) Fashion houses.
    3) Facism.
    4) Inter Milan.
    5) Fckin hilarious accents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easywellyes)
    Italy is basically a glorified third world country.
    Nah, but they aren't a shining beacon of democracy or prosperity either.

And wow, look at the mob rule and rubbish crisis. What a terrible state it's in.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, I could not give two ***** whether this has been discussed already or not, and if it has it just shows that other people can see what a bullsh*tter you are.

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive.../fullrankings/

The best italian uni according to this site is 192nd place. I'm not even going to count the number of british unis in front of it, but i can tell you its loads, loads more than just oxbridge, imperial and ucl. And what have french, german or spanish unis got to do with this, im ****ging off the third world country you live in.

I suggest you have a little read before replying, you wouldnt want to look like more of an idiot
    LOL mate get a life, I think your the only one that cares, other tsrians wouldnt give two sheets. But your the only one that did since you have got nothing better to do haha. Move on.
    Lol "according to....." I dont give a sheet about whatever website you quote boy. Understand?

I suggest you have a little think before replying, you wouldnt want me not to give a **** about you and dampen your mood again

ReputationRep:
    Better literature? Machiavelli, Dante, Petrarch. Boccaccio and I think it's fair to include Roman greats who have never been surpassed: poets like Catullus, Horace, Ovid and Virgil; writers of prose like Julius Ceasar, Pliny, Livy, Seneca and Tacitus.
    Then we have philosophers such as Thomas Aquinas (the most influential Christian philosopher ever ?!), Machiavelli, and Eco.
    Artists such as Boticelli, Da Vinci and Michaelangelo just to start...

Tbh Italy has a far richer cultural heritage. Religiously more significant, architecturally more significant, it's food history is rivalled only by France....

Having said all this the UK does very well economically and is less insular so it has had a far greater impact in influencing the outside world (so we are one of the permanent members on the UN security council).
    And we have our language.

Edit: And Somerset? please... haha Sicily? Tuscany?

I suppose most of this is dependent on personal views, and religious opinion, rather than fact; however, names like Shakespeare, Chaucer, Austin, Dickens, etc, cannot be ignored - for just literature alone. Personally, I think these writers are more important today than any Latin Poetry. Virgil or Catullus have barely any significance at all today - perhaps you disagree, but look at the cultural significance of Shakespeare and Dickens even right now. And what significance is Rome to a Muslim? About as much as London is!

I'll admit that the Romans are very important, as I have said a couple of times above, but their influence was somewhat lost. I'm not sure if I'd consider Aquinas Italian or Sicilian. Doesn't it say something that Cabot and Columbus sailed under an English and Spanish flag, respectively? I'd say that Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Galileo were all hugely important, but there are still British figures that can compare: Newton for example is surely the most important and influential Physicist/Mathematician of all time. I understand if anyone wishes to disagree, but in my opinion, but when it comes to scientific research and discoveries, Britain is second only to the US - Britain does after all provide 9% of the world's science research papers, second in the world.

Like you say, yes the UK's seat on the Security council is hugely important, and plays a big part of the EU and Nato. Cambridge and Oxford thoroughly beat anything Italy has to offer, and the Open University is the biggest University in Europe. It has the second largest Navy in the world (for now ...), and the most visited city in the world, London - as well as beating New York to be the financial capital of the world, more currency is traded in London than in any other city. Heathrow also handles the most International passengers in the world.

And what we see as 'beautiful' is subjective too :p: I see nothing wrong with Somerset, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, etc, I'd genuinely rather live there than in the Mediterranean. Maybe I'm mad, but I just prefer it. I just think that Britain keeps up with Italy with regards to any area, or beats it ... perhaps not food ... but the world would be lost with the Sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point in them then, they must serve some purpose or they would not be there.
    Just because they exist, doesnt mean you have to accept them. If I created a Premier League table based on average height of the squad and said, "Look, here is the order of the teams in the Premier League" you'd laugh me out.
    Similarly, it's clear that the criteria used in these league tables aren't fair. It's unclear how you can even fairly judge a university on 3 or 4 subjective criteria.
    Politicians? I wouldn't say that Berlusconi is anything to be proud of tbh. And in terms of businesses, while London is the world centre of finance (or one of them), Italy really only exports cars and food!
    Economically I think Britain is stronger than Italy. But Italy is still a major player even if its economy is doing poorly at the moment and is in decline. Its cars, motorcycles and fashion houses are still viewed as being the best in the world.

Oldest=/=Best. I can't comment of the standard compared to foreign unis, but I really cannot see why they would be so highly ranked, and attract overseas students paying huge fees, if the standard was so low. Care to enlighten me?
    An English language degree is immensely valuable? Also an overly rigid admissions process/highly regionalised system.

ReputationRep:
    never been to italy so i dont know

ReputationRep:
    If I was the only one who cared, it wouldnt have already been discussed, would it. The fact that you don't even answer the question shows that you really are pretty ******* retarded. You really are a disgrace to italy, PrincePauper.

p.s i love the way you **** other people on here off as internet geeks, yet you have been on here all day by the looks of things. oh yeah, and dont bother replying, cos it wont be worth reading and so i dont plan to. BYE!!!

ooooo told you!! I dampened your mood again! aww poor you. You are the only one that cares, lol your the only one that made the effort to google the top universities just to attempt to prove a complete stranger wrong! Now thats sad!! now, do this for me, google how much i give about your meaningless posts. Find out what ranking you are! lol hahahaha.

Ps. Yup, I have been here since 8. I trade shares you see, so I need the internet. Meanwhile Im here for some banter and to make lil kids like you cry to their mummy lol.

ReputationRep:
    wow it has become a pretty heated thread.

Keep it coming.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose most of this is dependent on personal views, and religious opinion, rather than fact; however, names like Shakespeare, Chaucer, Austin, Dickens, etc, cannot be ignored - for just literature alone. Personally, I think these writers are more important today than any Latin Poetry. Virgil or Catullus have barely any significance at all today - perhaps you disagree, but look at the cultural significance of Shakespeare and Dickens even right now. And what significance is Rome to a Muslim? About as much as London is!

I'll admit that the Romans are very important, as I have said a couple of times above, but their influence was somewhat lost. I'm not sure if I'd consider Aquinas Italian or Sicilian. Doesn't it say something that Cabot and Columbus sailed under an English and Spanish flag, respectively? I'd say that Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Galileo were all hugely important, but there are still British figures that can compare: Newton for example is surely the most important and influential Physicist/Mathematician of all time. I understand if anyone wishes to disagree, but in my opinion, but when it comes to scientific research and discoveries, Britain is second only to the US - Britain does after all provide 9% of the world's science research papers, second in the world.

Like you say, yes the UK's seat on the Security council is hugely important, and plays a big part of the EU and Nato. Cambridge and Oxford thoroughly beat anything Italy has to offer, and the Open University is the biggest University in Europe. It has the second largest Navy in the world (for now ...), and the most visited city in the world, London - as well as beating New York to be the financial capital of the world, more currency is traded in London than in any other city. Heathrow also handles the most International passengers in the world.

And what we see as 'beautiful' is subjective too :p: I see nothing wrong with Somerset, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, etc, I'd genuinely rather live there than in the Mediterranean. Maybe I'm mad, but I just prefer it. I just think that Britain keeps up with Italy with regards to any area, or beats it ... perhaps not food ... but the world would be lost with the Sandwich.
    Latin literature is important not in who now refers to it but who it has influenced through time. Very similar to Greek literature in that respect.

The UK is a great country. Im very proud of it. Economically and militarily (why the latter is something to be proud of or even considered here, I dont know) it is a great country. Culturally Italy has the edge of we discount the exportation of English. In terms of sport, religion and art it has done fantastically.

If we're being honest all we're doing is bashing our penises against a wall anyway. I hope both countries prosper and continue to produce a lot more great things in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)
    wow it has become a pretty heated thread.

Keep it coming.
    WHAT HAVE U STARTED? gosh

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd have to be a little bit naive to think that Italy is a better place to be than Britain. Italian politics are very corrupt, and there is a great lack of opportunity in many areas of the country. The quality of university education is shocking! And see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7174320.stm

ReputationRep:
    WHAT HAVE U STARTED? gosh

World War 3.

oops...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Which of course is far better than having all of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati, Pagani...
    Of course it is. We have Lotus, Ascari, Ariel, Melling ... formerly TVR, Jaguar, Rolls Royce and Bentley too ... and Rover beautiful.

All British :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would question that, I doubt that a large proportion of overseas students do actually study english language. If anything, I would expect a science based degree such as Engineering or Medicine to attract a much higher proportion of overseas students. What do you mean my an overly rigid admissions process? Here or abroad?
    Ah no... I meant having studied a degree in English. It immediately demonstrates fluency in English which is good when it comes to getting a job.

ah no.. the UK has an excellent university admissions process. In Italy I think it's tough to go to a uni out of the region you live in... or sommat.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is. We have Lotus, Ascari, Ariel, Melling ... formerly TVR, Jaguar, Rolls Royce and Bentley too ... and Rover beautiful.
    Enlighten me, how many of those do you now own?

Britain can't really look people in the eye and say "Im proud of our cars". Italy can. Motor racing (on four wheels or two) means far more in ITaly than it does here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.