Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Of course it is. We have Lotus, Ascari, Ariel, Melling ... formerly TVR, Jaguar, Rolls Royce and Bentley too ... and Rover beautiful.
    one word

MINI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Latin literature is important not in who now refers to it but who it has influenced through time. Very similar to Greek literature in that respect.

The UK is a great country. Im very proud of it. Economically and militarily (why the latter is something to be proud of or even considered here, I dont know) it is a great country. Culturally Italy has the edge of we discount the exportation of English. In terms of sport, religion and art it has done fantastically.

If we're being honest all we're doing is bashing our penises against a wall anyway. I hope both countries prosper and continue to produce a lot more great things in the future.
    I have to agree with this, despite what I have said here I still think Italy is a great country and would visit in an instant. I just feel somewhat bruised by Berlusconi's opinions, and the fact that he would publish them in the press. I may have said a lot against Italy, but it was in defense, I would never start the argument by randomly picking on Italy like he has with us. I stick by my opinions, I still think Britain has more going for it, but I wish Italy's economy all the luck in the future, I just dislike Berlusconi and his big headed - almost xenophobic - patriotism. I'd like Berlusconi to look Brown in the face during the G8 and say half of this to him, I bet he wouldn't.

Berlusconi is just a womanising pervert, and the closest that you can get to a dictator in a democratic country. Italy is better off without him.

ReputationRep:
    NO!!!11 ZIMBABWESTAN IS BETTER THAN UK COS WE HAVES ZULUS AND ZEBRAS AND STUFF and it is totaly a lot safer!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with this, despite what I have said here I still think Italy is a great country and would visit in an instant. I just feel somewhat bruised by Berlusconi's opinions, and the fact that he would publish them in the press. I may have said a lot against Italy, but it was in defense, I would never start the argument by randomly picking on Italy like he has with us. I stick by my opinions, I still think Britain has more going for it, but I wish Italy's economy all the luck in the future, I just dislike Berlusconi and his big headed - almost xenophobic - patriotism. I'd like Berlusconi to look Brown in the face during the G8 and say half of this to him, I bet he wouldn't.

Berlusconi is just a womanising pervert, and the closest that you can get to a dictator in a democratic country. Italy is better off without him.
    Lol. Yeh I agree with most of this. Although countries get politicians which reflect the electorate (and the police they deserve). Britain is so apathetic they get a weak-willed, dour Brown. The US, ready for change and liberalism, have Obama. The French are c**ts so get Sarkozy. And the Italians are lively and adore controversy and gossip so get Berlusconi. If Im gonna have a rubbish leader I'd rather have an entertaining one like SB than a boring one like GB.

ReputationRep:

At the end of the day, Britain is better than Italy. I think it is rather sad we are arguing whether Italy is bette rthan the UK when it is pretty obvious that Italy is *****...

ReputationRep:
    Enlighten me, how many of those do you now own?

Britain can't really look people in the eye and say "Im proud of our cars". Italy can. Motor racing (on four wheels or two) means far more in ITaly than it does here.
    All of them. I deliberately picked ones that we still own (except the list after the word "formerly ..." ) Every single one of those 7 pictured cars were made by British companies, and are still made by them - except the Lotus, which was still made in Britain at least (in Norfolk to be precise).

ReputationRep:
    Ah no... I meant having studied a degree in English. It immediately demonstrates fluency in English which is good when it comes to getting a job.
    Oh right, yeah that makes sense.

ah no.. the UK has an excellent university admissions process. In Italy I think it's tough to go to a uni out of the region you live in... or sommat.
    Haha ok then.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Yeh I agree with most of this. Although countries get politicians which reflect the electorate (and the police they deserve). Britain is so apathetic they get a weak-willed, dour Brown. The US, ready for change and liberalism, have Obama. The French are c**ts so get Sarkozy. And the Italians are lively and adore controversy and gossip so get Berlusconi. If Im gonna have a rubbish leader I'd rather have an entertaining one like SB than a boring one like GB.
    We didn't elect Brown :p: And never would. We elected Blair, who started off a charismatic and exciting man - and I say that even though I supported the opposition from the start. Cameron hopefully will be the same. We'll find out soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    We have a free press, outside the control of our leader. We don't have a political system shrouded in sleaze and corruption.

But mmm ... they have nice foood...

ReputationRep:
    Enlighten me, how many of those do you now own?

Britain can't really look people in the eye and say "Im proud of our cars". Italy can. Motor racing (on four wheels or two) means far more in ITaly than it does here.
    Lamborghini is German, on account of them being owned by Volkswagen. And practically the rest are owned by Fiat, except Pagani, so that's just two Italian companies that you have mentioned. Which isn't that much better than ours. Germany seems to have the most to boast about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Italy doesn't have Yorkshire. :yep:
    A good case for Italy being better...:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Lamborghini is German, on account of them being owned by Volkswagen. And practically the rest are owned by Fiat, except Pagani, so that's just two Italian companies that you have mentioned. Which isn't that much better than ours. Germany seems to have the most to boast about.
    Yeh but when you say Fiat as an owner that doesnt do the reputation of the wide variety of brands under that. Fiat Group is its proper name and it is far wider than the automobile industry, let alone Fiat cars (brand). Ferrarri, Alfa Romeo and Maserati all have significant reputations of their own (in much the same way Guerlain, Givenchy, Dior and Aqua di Parma all have large degrees of autonomy and distinct brand images despite being owned by LVMH).

Also Italians have motorcycles and scooters.

And a fairly famous F1 team.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but when you say Fiat as an owner that doesnt do the reputation of the wide variety of brands under that. Fiat Group is its proper name and it is far wider than the automobile industry, let alone Fiat cars (brand). Ferrarri, Alfa Romeo and Maserati all have significant reputations of their own (in much the same way Guerlain, Givenchy, Dior and Aqua di Parma all have large degrees of autonomy and distinct brand images despite being owned by LVMH).

Also Italians have motorcycles and scooters.

And a fairly famous F1 team.
    I suppose that's true, but then can't the same be said for foreign owned British manufacturers? If you include those then you have Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, TVR, Lotus. All have their own cultural impact, and a certain level of independence - despite being now technically 'foreign'. I can't say how seriously Italians take car racing, but I think we are quite serious about it too. Obviously Button, Hamilton, Eccleston and Mosley all being British. But that's not to say I don't respect Italian cars, I love Ferrari.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose that's true, but then can't the same be said for foreign owned British manufacturers? If you include those then you have Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, TVR, Lotus. All have their own cultural impact, and a certain level of independence - despite being now technically 'foreign'. I can't say how seriously Italians take car racing, but I think we are quite serious about it too. Obviously Button, Hamilton, Eccleston and Mosley all being British. But that's not to say I don't respect Italian cars, I love Ferrari.
    It's interesting that in Italy they are mad for a team (Ferrari) whereas in the UK we are mad for individuals (Button, Hamilton, Hill...).

As for the rest, both countries have great histories but in my opinion Italy shades it for prestige, glamour and thrill. I don't think we can out maths each other here, it's just opinion. In the same way I prefer Italy's history of food and think they have a stronger food culture (possibly more clear cut than with cars...).

ReputationRep:
    haha how appropriate!

You "found" a leaflet... uhuh... keep talking girl... Under a giant crab made of glitter? Jesus was a Jew anyway.

Anyway I dont need to be a jew cos Im half French Algerian and half English and we're superheroes. Second only to Italians.
    And this shouldnt detract from the fact that you should show more respect to the country that has brought us:
    1) Ice Cream.
    2) Fashion houses.
    3) Facism.
    4) Inter Milan.
    5) Fckin hilarious accents.
    You forgot Pasta and Ferrero Rocher. :coma:
    Jesus was a Palestinian, which means we pwn you all. **** the Italians, French... French Algerians, we have the LORD. :hand:

And nah, I along with my subscription to the Honey badger appreciation soc. Duh. :stupid:

Edit: Oh and we got raped by the Italians too back in the day. And we're on the Med sea, so we have most of the benefits Italians have without having to deal with actual Italians. Win win.

ReputationRep:
    just read "The Dark Heart of Italy" - like any woman, I love the romanticised version of Italy, but after reading that there's no way I could live there...and I like a bit of good ol' April showers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    You forgot Pasta and Ferrero Rocher. :coma:
    Jesus was a Palestinian, which means we pwn you all. **** the Italians, French... French Algerians, we have the LORD. :hand:

And nah, I along with my subscription to the Honey badger appreciation soc. Duh. :stupid:

Edit: Oh and we got raped by the Italians too back in the day. And we're on the Med sea, so we have most of the benefits Italians have without having to deal with actual Italians. Win win.
    In Italy they have GIANT cocks the size of men. They're called Italian men.

I just remembered that Im half French and meant to hate Italy. Booo Italy tskk.

ReputationRep:
    In Italy they have GIANT cocks the size of men. They're called Italian men.

I just remembered that Im half French and meant to hate Italy. Booo Italy tskk.
    Large cocks, Italian men. An ambiguity here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dozzer_Cufc)
    A good case for Italy being better...:woo:
    Haha! As if! I'll leave you to your boring, flat Cambridgeshire.! :p: Curiously, whereabouts near Cambridge? I've lived in Willingham, Chatteris, Bar Hill, Alconbury and Dry Drayton at some point in my life!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of culture, scenery, food and so on: yes.

In terms of political and legal/social structures: no, not at all. If you think British politicians are corrupt because they make a dodgy claim on their expenses once in a while, you'll be in for a big shock when you see what Italian ones get up to.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.