Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've read a few articles in The Guardian today about care homes in the UK, that elderly people are being left by their families to die in care homes. But arguably it's the lesser of two evils really. Some families just simply aren't able to accommodate another person, make a 'granny extension' etc...care needs are so complex and demanding that this situation can be so burdensome to the family/carers, that their own health etc is at risk.

What are other peoples impressions of care homes? It was surprising to read that so many elderly people are on anti-depressants, but I suppose it's perfectly understandable really. Loneliness, widowed, ill-health, lack of physical and mental stimulation...

On one of her respite care periods, my late grandma spent a week in a local care home. When we visited her, she was sitting alone and socially isolated in a day room, with her teeth out. She had mental capacity at the time and to have found her in this situation was pretty disturbing, not to mention the general stench of urine in the care home.

Meh, I know old age is part of the human life course but boy, does it sound like it sucks donkey ****.

End of ramlings

(it's in the news because I think some new social care reforms are being considered).

ReputationRep:
    they have a great way of dealing with this in switzerland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocious)
    they have a great way of dealing with this in switzerland.
    Hasn't the government recently ruled out reforms/legislative changes in regard to euthanasia? It was last week IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh. This used to annoy the hell out of me in my old job (working in a hospital, not a geriatric specific ward but we had a high % of older patients due to the nature of our ward) - The people who'd either just dump their parents on us and not visit them whilst they were in hospital, or those visiting other patients would moan at us about the 'loud' dementia patients.

Care of the elderly in this country isn't anywhere near an acceptable standard imo, there are good parts but they're inevitably outweighed by the negligence and awful conditions. Care homes need to be standardised and the Government needs to stand up and take some responsibility for training the staff and keeping an adequate level of care, set up some guidelines and make sure they're adhered to!

With regards to people living at home til the end of their days, I can understand why most people wouldn't do it, it takes an awfully strong person to sit and watch someone suffer from dementia, someone that you've loved and known for the last 50 odd years, your partner and lover - it's soul destroying. Utmost respect for anyone who does it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.