Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Am I more likely to get a training contract if I get my LLB from Birkbeck or LSBU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    Am I more likely to get a training contract if I get my LLB from Birkbeck or LSBU?
    It really depends on what sort of law firms, and what sort of law, you're interested in going into.

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to stay at Southbank and try as hard as you can to get a 1st. While Birkbeck is a university of london degre, (although it doesn't have the status of the big schools) and Southbank is an ex poly degree (while taught by very respected legal professors) from an insitution which has the stigma of being the bottom or thereabouts in UK rankings, and there is really no competition between the two, however if you are already at LSBU you would need to put both on your CV which is defeating the purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    My advice would be to stay at Southbank and try as hard as you can to get a 1st. While Birkbeck is a university of london degre, (although it doesn't have the status of the big schools) and Southbank is an ex poly degree (while taught by very respected legal professors) from an insitution which has the stigma of being the bottom or thereabouts in UK rankings, and there is really no competition between the two, however if you are already at LSBU you would need to put both on your CV which is defeating the purpose.
    Sorry I don't really understand what you are saying here. Are you saying to stay at LSBU even though in your opinion Birkbeck is the better institution?

Also why would I need to put both on my CV - if I transfer, the degree will be awarded by UoL, and will have no mention of LSBU on it. I may need to mention that I did first year in LSBU when people ask for transcripts but other than that, I don't think it'll come up.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I don't really understand what you are saying here. Are you saying to stay at LSBU even though in your opinion Birkbeck is the better institution?

Also why would I need to put both on my CV - if I transfer, the degree will be awarded by UoL, and will have no mention of LSBU on it. I may need to mention that I did first year in LSBU when people ask for transcripts but other than that, I don't think it'll come up.
    Sorry that does sound odd.

If you were starting from scratch there is no competition (i know students from both and their respective interview ratios, although of course other things do come into play, nothing trumps academics) however on your CV/ apps you will have to put that you were at LSBU or the dates won't work out. YOu will have to show your transcripts to anyone who accepts you, so yes it will come up. You will still have gone to LSBU so transferring is probably not worth it.

Why did you apply for a transfer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    Sorry that does sound odd.

If you were starting from scratch there is no competition (i know students from both and their respective interview ratios, although of course other things do come into play, nothing trumps academics) however on your CV/ apps you will have to put that you were at LSBU or the dates won't work out. YOu will have to show your transcripts to anyone who accepts you, so yes it will come up. You will still have gone to LSBU so transferring is probably not worth it.

Why did you apply for a transfer?
    I applied for a transfer because I see that LSBU is not considered a great university to have your degree from if you want to go on to be a solicitor or a barrister, and right now I want to be a solicitor. I'm not from the UK, and I only went to LSBU because they offered a part time course.
    I would think the fact that I only did 1 year there (and got a 1st in the 3 modules I took there) and did 3 years in Birkbeck would mean that people would probably see I did really well in both institutions - surely if I get an overall 1st in Birkbeck come graduation its not going to matter that I did 1st year in LSBU, since every exam that counts towards the final degree would have been taken in Birkbeck, and also would it not show how determined I am to succeed that I transferred over?
    I think if Birkbeck is a better university than LSBU, it might be worth the transfer - surely the fact that I left LSBU and got accepted to a better uni, and succeeded there should prove I have the academic ability to succeed later in life...

I think so anyway - from what I can see Birkbeck is meant to be better than LSBU - so the transfer it seems can only improve my chances

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a transfer because I see that LSBU is not considered a great university to have your degree from if you want to go on to be a solicitor or a barrister, and right now I want to be a solicitor. I'm not from the UK, and I only went to LSBU because they offered a part time course.
    I would think the fact that I only did 1 year there (and got a 1st in the 3 modules I took there) and did 3 years in Birkbeck would mean that people would probably see I did really well in both institutions - surely if I get an overall 1st in Birkbeck come graduation its not going to matter that I did 1st year in LSBU, since every exam that counts towards the final degree would have been taken in Birkbeck, and also would it not show how determined I am to succeed that I transferred over?
    I think if Birkbeck is a better university than LSBU, it might be worth the transfer - surely the fact that I left LSBU and got accepted to a better uni, and succeeded there should prove I have the academic ability to succeed later in life...

I think so anyway - from what I can see Birkbeck is meant to be better than LSBU - so the transfer it seems can only improve my chances
    I have PM'd you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    I have PM'd you

Nothing yet....

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.