Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody
    I'm i german student and I am looking forward to apply for PPE at Oxford (2010). Since I feel a bit lost and there is nobody to help me at my school, I was hoping to find some answers here.

(1) How many colleges can I apply to?

(2) My first choice are: Merton, St John's, Magdalene and Balliol. From what I've heard these Colleges are the most competetives and I would only state them if there's a chance that other colleges consider my application if don't get any offers from my first choices.

(3) How are my chances to get in, my overall grades were 1,2 this year
    (~best 2,5%), and I don't have anything else to offer except I started studying law paralell to school.

(4) Is it usual to write anything specific about Oxford in your PS?
    Because I thought about applying to the LSE as well and would hence have to write two PS

(5) Is it possible to apply for an additional subject (history & economcs)?

thanks for your help

stephane

ReputationRep:
    (1) One.
    (2) Yes, there is a system with PPE which means you'll likely get a second interview. It's Magdalen, by the way.
    (3) Sorry, not good with the Abi. I don't understand what you mean by the law thing.
    (4) No. You can only write one PS, and other universities will not take kindly to that AT ALL. Oxford wouldn't like it either.
    (5). At some colleges. Univ springs to mind for E&M and PPE. I think with H&E it would be possible at some colleges, but only with History, I should imagine. So basically no.

Your english doesn't seem very good, just by the way. Maybe its typos.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (3) 1.2 is within the standard offer range, so you should be OK.
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    (5). At some colleges. Univ springs to mind for E&M and PPE. I think with H&E it would be possible at some colleges, but only with History, I should imagine. So basically no.
    :no:
    Not anymore. Univ no longer offers E&M.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Not anymore. Univ no longer offers E&M.
    Really?! I am so behind times.
    It was quite a rare thing to do, anyway, so I guess the answer is no, OP. With some joint schools (History and Languages) colleges do sometimes interview and/or offer for single honours and vice versa.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    Really?! I am so behind times.
    It was quite a rare thing to do, anyway, so I guess the answer is no, OP. With some joint schools (History and Languages) colleges do sometimes interview and/or offer for single honours and vice versa.
    Yes, they changed that last year (so you're not very much behind times :p:). There was some confusion about this, because the printed prospectus still listed Univ as one of the colleges which offer E&M, but they definitely seem to have dropped the subject for good.

ReputationRep:
    Just for the record, Stephane: your English seems extremely good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yttrium)
    Just for the record, Stephane: your English seems extremely good.
    Does it really? I think "extremely good" would be stretching it, and I resent the insinuation that I was being unnecessaryily harsh. Most Germans I know applying for PPE are 100% fluent, and use English colloquialisms with ease. And this is before they apply. Need I highlight..

"looking forward to apply"
    "these colleges ar the most competitives"
    "how are my chances to get in"

?

ReputationRep:
    I'll see if my english skills are sufficient in the interview...
    Katie do you have any e-mail adresses of any german ppe students you could give me? Some first-hand information about the application procedure for germans would be great.

About the law thing: it's a programme which gives pupils the opportunity to miss some lessons and go to university instead.

Thanks again

Stephane

ReputationRep:
    Well you don't know what grades you'll get in your last year but as long as you don't go below 1,3 you'll be absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephane Roux)
    I'll see if my english skills are sufficient in the interview...
    What are your LKs? You'll probably have to do the IELTS anyway so I'd become a bit more fluent if I were you I don't think your English is too bad though.
    Not worse than mine...

ReputationRep:
    katie- that should be "unnecessarily" - I wouldn't normally be so pedantic, but if you're passing comment on others you'd better get your own spellings right.

Stephane- Your English is pretty good, however, Katie is right- you need to work on your fluency a bit; sticking round here and posting lots would do you good, as would conversation classes with a native speaker if you have access to one or just watching English films/tv at a pinch.

Reading the original post, I have to agree the english is far from bad, but needs work. People seem to have been really harsh to Katie, she was only trying to be constructive.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.