Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Teenagers never use real directories (hard copy catalogues such as yellow pages). This is because real directories contain listings for builders and florists, which are services that teenagers do not require.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    'Most teenagers with a games console tend to game not in short bursts, but in long stints (upwards of an hour)'

I'm pretty sure it becomes inefficient to play games in 30 minute stints.
    Not at all. I always jump on CoD4 for a couple of games (usually 30 minutes) then stop for a while.

ReputationRep:
    What I find funny is the amount of people in this thread saying it's 'obvious' when they are teenagers themselves (or close enough)! No bloody **** people, it's not intended to be read by teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm spamming General Discussion with one too many articles but I found this interesting and a little annoying - maybe I'm just jealous but what the kid explains is common sense and some of it is a little generalised but that could be because author has summarised the kids thoughts a little too much.

ARTICLE: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6703399.ece

"Today he is the talk of Tokyo, Wall Street and the City. Fund managers, CEOs and analysts are poring over his report, How Teenagers Consume Media, which he wrote last week while on work experience at Morgan Stanley.

In it he laid out the world according to the teenager: a confusing place where the PC is a radio, the games console is a telephone, the mobile telephone is a stereo and text-message machine, the DVDs are pirate copies and no one uses Twitter"

ReputationRep:
    Most of the things he points out there are true but most teenagers know that anyways...

ReputationRep:
    See here

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: I'm confused, the article doesn't make sense to me :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Captain Obvious published a similar report.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    :lolwut: I'm confused, the article doesn't make sense to me :sad:
    Just a kid writing about generic issues every teenager knows about being sensationalized by the typical media. Well thats what i gathered from the 20 seconds i actually looked at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    I feel like I'm spamming General Discussion with one too many articles but I found this interesting and a little annoying - maybe I'm just jealous but what the kid explains is common sense and some of it is a little generalised but that could be because author has summarised the kids thoughts a little too much.

ARTICLE: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6703399.ece
    My guess would be:

Bankers let 15yr old intern guy do some stuff, he writes that report, banker thinks it's quite good and that's how it is circulated.
    Bored journalist hears about this but knows that 'Intern does some okay work and other people read it' is not a good headline, so with a bit of 'journalistic creativity', it becomes '15yr old amazes bankers' and 'today he is the talk of [insert buzzwords here]'.

ReputationRep:
    No wonder we're in a recession, if the bankers were amazed by this common knowledge then they must be retards.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Adults must be so of touch to find that insightful.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    He told The Times that at home he usually communicates with his male friends while blowing up terrorists on the action game Call of Duty. “You use a mobile phone if you want to talk to girls,” he said, as “only about one in fifty girls plays computer games.”

Wow this bit is so true for me! I feel that nearly any other teen i know could have said what this boy said, its definitely nothing insightful imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    See here
    Sorry I didnt know a similar story was posted here before.
    Having skim-read the full copy, it just states the obvious. I can imagine how it might have circulated onto newspapers (people in the City, read it, they reminisce over their times as teenagers, the article gets passed around, news reporter in the city heres about the article and sees it as a chance to make a story).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    No wonder we're in a recession, if the bankers were amazed by this common knowledge then they must be retards.
    lol - I think its just the newspaper guys trying to make a story out of it all and also the bankers trying to gain a bit of PR; "bankers impressed by teen" - working class women thinks 'aw bankers arent actually up themselves'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    90% of downloads are illegal, something I dont do as I have a friend in the music industry, its crippling the Music industry, when people use lime wire that pisses me off
    Home taping is killing the music industry!!!

The music industry has survived similar low-tech, mass spread piracy before and it'll survive it again using new business models. See: Spotify.

ReputationRep:
    how many 15 year olds get interns their not many, theirfore his dad is high up, he was working in the media area, they wanted to impress to get leg up etc, not impressive at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_dow)
    how many 15 year olds get interns their not many, theirfore his dad is high up, he was working in the media area, they wanted to impress to get leg up etc, not impressive at all.

the article actually explains how he got an internship.

His mother was walking his dog when it became friends with the dog of an analyst at the bank. They were talking and his Mother said how she had been looking for some work experience for his son.

ReputationRep:
    Every teen knows that, just no one has bothered to get all keen and write it.

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't be amazed with the kid, they should be embarrassed for not knowing all those things already.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.