Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As part of my HNC in business i'm now on the law 1 module and sightly stuck. Never done anything law related before so i was wondering if anybody could give me a bit of help relating to this question.

Explain the different types of business agreement?

Any help greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure what they're looking for.

At a very general level, you might have:
    written contracts
    warranty/guarantee
    equitable representations (e.g. Quistclose trusts)
    agreements not to pursue a right/claim (e.g. estoppel, though query whether this is truly a form of "agreement")
    consent to actions (as a defence to some types of tortious or criminal liability. as with above, is this truly bilateral or unilateral?)

But of course, each of those has many sub-categories. Obviously, contract is the broadest umbrella, covering everything from credit swaps to consumer contracts. But all of these could appear in a number of forms.

Sorry, I can't give you much more help without knowing more about your course and what you've been taught thus far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelesMeles)
    I'm not really sure what they're looking for.

At a very general level, you might have:
    written contracts
    warranty/guarantee
    equitable representations (e.g. Quistclose trusts)
    agreements not to pursue a right/claim (e.g. estoppel, though query whether this is truly a form of "agreement")
    consent to actions (as a defence to some types of tortious or criminal liability. as with above, is this truly bilateral or unilateral?)

But of course, each of those has many sub-categories. Obviously, contract is the broadest umbrella, covering everything from credit swaps to consumer contracts. But all of these could appear in a number of forms.

Sorry, I can't give you much more help without knowing more about your course and what you've been taught thus far.
    Thanks for the help, yeah its a very broad question the rest of the assignment is about the essential elements of a valid contract, offere, acceptence etc.

Do this help, if not, thats for the pointers.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if they're focusing on contracts, I suppose you could talk about the different types of contracts that you might expect to see:

loan contracts
    credit swap contracts
    contracts for sale of goods
    services contracts
    ongoing supply contracts
    retainer contracts
    insurance contracts
    consumer goods and services contracts
    construction contracts
    restrictive covenant/land use contracts
    sale of rights (e.g. securitisation and sale of debt)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 15, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.