Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I'd like to go to Spain or California.

I like the UK but i've been here a long time.
    where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    So many wanting to go the US. Do you not realise the grass is not always greener on the other side?

I've been living in the States for the last four years, and yes it has its plus points, but on the whole it's not a lot different to the UK. Everything is just bigger, especially the guns!

ReputationRep:
    I would not like to go to America.. it scares me AND you have to be 21 to drink alcohol and even worse there are no pubs

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably move away in the next few years, I haven't thought about where yet, but hopefully somewhere with a lower concentration of intolerant idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnbrown)
    I would not like to go to America.. it scares me AND you have to be 21 to drink alcohol and even worse there are no pubs
    The scenery's too regimented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    somewhere with a lower concentration of intolerant idiots.
    Space is too far

ReputationRep:
    I lol at all those skilled workers who moved to New Zealand only to have their working permits taken away when places started going out of business and only true New Zealanders could have the jobs.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can't wait to get out of Portugal and be in the UK, I just have to wait five more days. After finishing my course I might consider having a post-graduation on Canada or USA.

ReputationRep:
    bye :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Most of you guys are such idiots. :rolleyes:

OMGOMG I want to go to America because there's no crime there and they don't have Gordan Bwown and and it's sooo much nicer and the weather is soooooooooooooooooooooo bad! Like omg Britain is sososososos crap! Labour has ****** everything! Lolzzzzz!!!111!!!!!111!!!!!!!

I can't wait to go to America! :puppyeyes:
    Bubbs, you always sum up my opinion brilliantly. :woo:

I would rather have changeable weather than extreme weather. For the rest, it's apparent that the media are doing their job.

ReputationRep:
    Sweden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    theres no need to learn another language :dontknow:
    Yeah, tbh (please don't neg me for that, I'm just saying what's the general perception) people from English-speaking countries are being thought of as being ignorant just for the reasons you've stated yourself, e.g.

(Original post by tom//)
    most people speak english anyway...
    ...so why bother? :confused:

No, not really, TBH. Whereas tourist destinations usually have people speaking quite fluent and proper English, actually living in a foreign country to the fullest requires knowledge of the local language. Not knowing the language and sticking to the English media (if there's any, not every European country has got a 24/7 radio and TV channel in English) really limits your life and doesn't allow you to live there properly and assimilate with the local population.

I'm a foreigner myself, speaking fluent English, Polish, German and a bit of Russian and Ukrainian, started learning Japanese recently. Apart from actually being quite fun, it also widens your perspectives on the job market and allows you to talk with foreigners freely. Believe me - even if you go to Western Europe but outside the majour tourist outlets (i.e. hotels/museums/restaurants and whatnot), you're unlikely to find people speaking fluent English. Eastern Europe - well, a lot of people speak English where I'm from (Poland), but tbh the general level is quite poor and the English that a lot of people speak is really, really basic, so it's not like you could have an interesting and long-lasting conversation...

So, yeah - it's good to learn foreign languages. Too bad that English is the "Latin of the 20th and the 21st Century" (well... has been, so far), and a lot of people from the UK/USA/Canada/Australia, if English and monolingual (French Canadians aside, for example), just don't bother - as most of the movies are American, therefore in English, most pop music is either British/American or sung in English by foreigners anyway (as it's quite an easy language to write lyrics in and to sing), Internet is dominated by the English language, and so on. Kinda shame, really, but on the other hand I have to say I can imagine the reasons for it (but still not fully understand the lack of will). Maybe, if I were a native English speaker with such an easy access to flabbergasting amount of information in my language, I wouldn't have bothered learning other languages either? :confused:

Wow.

Well, the reason Britain is deteriorating is not because of Labour; people don't seem to remember what life was like before 1997. They've actually done a decent job considering all the stuff they've had thrown at them.

I mean, i don't condone their filthy corruption or sickening vote pandering, but economically, Britain hasn't had it so good for a while.

I do not like the fact that so many people are willing to just leave the place of your upbringing for greener grass. How will life be better for the other Britons if all the smart talented people get up and leave? I mean you can't force people to stay; people have the right to go whereever they want. I just feel sad for the Brits who decide to stay. If there IS a reason why Britain is faltering, it's because a huge proportion of the British middle class upped and left in the 70s and 80s.

However, i personally will be going back to India, for precisely the reasons i've mentioned. That's the country where i had my childhood dreams and memories, and i for me personally, it would be too much of a selfish thing to do to abandon the country that gave me the first ten years of my life.

And to be honest, Britain is about as good as it gets in this world. Certainly one of the best places to live. I mean things aren't perfect, but packing your bags and going to places that are better off isn't going to improve things here.

I sound pretty hypocritical for a smelly lefty eh? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    I do not like the fact that so many people are willing to just leave the place of your upbringing for greener grass. How will life be better for the other Britons if all the smart talented people get up and leave? I mean you can't force people to stay; people have the right to go whereever they want. I just feel sad for the Brits who decide to stay.
    im sure there are plenty of people coming in to replace them:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    Yeah, tbh (please don't neg me for that, I'm just saying what's the general perception) people from English-speaking countries are being thought of as being ignorant just for the reasons you've stated yourself, e.g.

...so why bother? :confused:

No, not really, TBH. Whereas tourist destinations usually have people speaking quite fluent and proper English, actually living in a foreign country to the fullest requires knowledge of the local language. Not knowing the language and sticking to the English media (if there's any, not every European country has got a 24/7 radio and TV channel in English) really limits your life and doesn't allow you to live there properly and assimilate with the local population.

I'm a foreigner myself, speaking fluent English, Polish, German and a bit of Russian and Ukrainian, started learning Japanese recently. Apart from actually being quite fun, it also widens your perspectives on the job market and allows you to talk with foreigners freely. Believe me - even if you go to Western Europe but outside the majour tourist outlets (i.e. hotels/museums/restaurants and whatnot), you're unlikely to find people speaking fluent English. Eastern Europe - well, a lot of people speak English where I'm from (Poland), but tbh the general level is quite poor and the English that a lot of people speak is really, really basic, so it's not like you could have an interesting and long-lasting conversation...

So, yeah - it's good to learn foreign languages. Too bad that English is the "Latin of the 20th and the 21st Century" (well... has been, so far), and a lot of people from the UK/USA/Canada/Australia, if English and monolingual (French Canadians aside, for example), just don't bother - as most of the movies are American, therefore in English, most pop music is either British/American or sung in English by foreigners anyway (as it's quite an easy language to write lyrics in and to sing), Internet is dominated by the English language, and so on. Kinda shame, really, but on the other hand I have to say I can imagine the reasons for it (but still not fully understand the lack of will). Maybe, if I were a native English speaker with such an easy access to flabbergasting amount of information in my language, I wouldn't have bothered learning other languages either? :confused:
    lol why would i neg you for that? :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to the UK because I'd just like a change of scenery and find the culture interesting...I don't really think it's any better or worse than the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    lol why would i neg you for that? :rofl2:
    it was plural "you" at the very begininng, referring to some ********* possibly negging for "English-speaking people are perceived to be ignorant"

some people are hyper-sensitive on this site, got negged numerous times for some totally-random ******** :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere is perfect anyway. But what's wrong with trying to find the place that suits you best? It's worth giving it a try, you never know how close to perfect you'll come...

But most of the time people find that Home is just home and the things you never really appreciated suddenly become the things you miss the most.

I for my part grew up in Germany and have now been in the UK for 2 years and will be for another 2 at least (am at Uni here) and must say I am quite happy here for now, but I know that after I finish Uni, I will go back to continental Europe. It is just a different standard of living with different values that I can just identify with better. Plus, I am studying to be a translator and love being in a multi-lingual environment and, let's face it, the English are not the most keen foreign language speakers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icn06)
    I'm moving to the UK because I'd just like a change of scenery and find the culture interesting...
    there is no culture. got disassembled by the immigrants, TBH I've heard a lot of people complaining about the UK actually losing the remnants of national identity. :rolleyes:

(Original post by 1721)
    im sure there are plenty of people coming in to replace them:rolleyes:
    Yeah, and they're leaving behind their underdeveloped countries.

I'm not arguing for closed borders at all. I just find it sad how people can give up on the country that contributed to who they are. I mean obviously there are exceptions, eg, Zimbabwae or Nazi Germany or south Sudan but .. for me i'd feel bad if i didn't return to India.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.