Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As the title say, I have no idea. Academicly I'd say I'm above average in all my subjects, but have been quite lazy so far in school. I start A-Levels in September, so I need to have some idea as to what I want to do. I don't have any far flung ambitions employment wise, after university I'll probably just move out of the country, maybe to South Africa and persure the sports I find interesting. The reasons I want a degree are:

- If I want to get a regular job after 5 years I'd be looking at graduate entry

- A degree makes it easier to get into some countries

- I don't want to emigrate and go out into the world independantly at 18, university should be a good transition stage.

There aren't any subjects I'm passionate about, and most of my subject teachers tell me I should take their subject to A-Level if thats any indicator.

So, any suggestions
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That is very vague, but judging from your sig OP you still have ages to decide. See what your GCSE results are, and pick your A-levels. Don't pick A-levels based on the degree you want to do, a lot of things will change in a year's time!

ReputationRep:
    You have ages left to decide. And besides, getting a bunch of people off TSR to decide isn't the best idea.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't even be thinking about a degree yet if you don't even know what A-levels to pick! Which of your GCSE subjects have you enjoyed the most? And where is SA? Is that South America?

ReputationRep:
    Geology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    You shouldn't even be thinking about a degree yet if you don't even know what A-levels to pick! Which of your GCSE subjects have you enjoyed the most? And where is SA? Is that South America?
    I'm presuming South Africa

ReputationRep:
    do 'I'm a ******* studies'. they should suit you.

ReputationRep:
    Take a range of open-ended A Levels. If there's nothing you particularly excel at, or interested in, go for whatever will leave you with the most options.

Try 2 sciences and 2 humanities.

Maths, Chemistry, History/English lit, and an MFL should leave you with lots of options.

I'd strongly reocmmend picking an MFl though if you want to move abroa dint he future. Even if it isn't the correct language, it will help develop your skills to pick a new one up quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    You shouldn't even be thinking about a degree yet if you don't even know what A-levels to pick!
    A-Levels are just a ticket to a degree, surely it would be unwise to have tickets to the wrong show so to speak

I've enjoyed elements of GCSE English and History, but I can't do essay subjects in exams, coursework = all A* but I'd be supprised if I got A's in the exams

Similarly, I've had fun in the sciences, but find some parts very tedious.

ReputationRep:
    I would still strongly recommend doing at least one essay subject. Particularly because you aren't sure what you want to do yet and so may end up wishing to go into a degree for which you'll need it, but also because it will be massively useful no matter which path you choose.

I wouldn't worry too much about how strong your writing skills are at the moment. They'll definitely improve with time and practice as sixth form is far more intensive than GCSEs and the level of feedback will be far more precise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigfatflanker)
    A-Levels are just a ticket to a degree, surely it would be unwise to have tickets to the wrong show so to speak

I've enjoyed elements of GCSE English and History, but I can't do essay subjects in exams, coursework = all A* but I'd be supprised if I got A's in the exams

Similarly, I've had fun in the sciences, but find some parts very tedious.
    No, not always. Some people do A-levels and then decide that higher education isn't for them after all.

I think pretty much all subjects require some essay writing in exams. You'll be given help with structuring and time management etc...so don't let that put you off taking something you would enjoy at A-level. Plus, you'll definitely have to write essays in university exams so if anything, it'd be a good idea to get used to doing it earlier.

I think what afua12 suggested is a good idea, to take a mixture of science and essay based subjects and keep your options open. Have you looked at new subjects you could take? There's Philosophy, Law, Economics etc... I know I'm biased but foreign languages are a good option as not that many people take them so unis are impressed by them and if you are thinking of moving away then learning the language would really help you. The reason I asked if SA was South America was to suggest you learn Spanish

If you really have your heart set on going to uni then maybe take the Stamford test which is designed to help you decide which course will suit you. It's on the UCAS site and here's a link as well...

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/befor...y/stamfordtest

ReputationRep:
    Just pick A levels for subjects you enjoy.
    Although maths is always useful, chemistry is also quite good as an all-rounder. Geography is good too for vagueness, then you have a fourth which could be one you specifically enjoy.
    But as others have said, don't be rash and decide on a degree now because, chances are, you'll change your mind.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.