Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried about my boyfriend's weight. :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    oh god thats horrible :/
    definitely get him to see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    It's not on topic but what's the difference between legumes and vegetables :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jun91ist)
    I weigh less than him and im older . I eat well and enjoy food. Its just genetics.

At least he wont have a huge bear belly when hes older or suffer from increased heart problems. Well maybe not since he eats junk food.

Make sure he is not anorexic.

its obviously not genetics for her boyfriend, since she says he barely eats anything.

ReputationRep:
    Genetics could play a big role. Genetics for appitite and hunger

ReputationRep:
    See how skiny or big your boyfriends parents are and how much they eat and what they eat to get some sort of insight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasri-diaby)
    That's too skinny!

People call me skinny because I'm 10.7stones and 6'0"!!!

that is pretty skinny tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    that is pretty skinny tbh
    Yeah, that's why they say it I guess. :poke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jun91ist)
    Genetics could play a big role. Genetics for appitite and hunger
    I think the fact that he eats barely anything and when he does its unhealthy is the main factor, why do people always try to blame it on genetics (like when fat people say they have glandular problems to avoid saying that they just eat way too much), if it was merely genetics then that means he could never change his weight because you cannot change your genetics - it's more likely psychological i.e. anorexia.

:gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    he should be on

Supersize vs Superskinny

with me as the supersize, im not that big, but i eat loads.

ReputationRep:
    I really dont think he's anorexic. He has a different eating disorder, which is a genuine fear of food and mental block against trying anything new. My best friend has struggled with this her whole life. Up until a couple of years ago the only thing she ate was bread, chips, crips, cheese, plain cereal...I literally think that was it. Now her diet has expanded a bit to include pasta, pizza and some fruit and veg. But that was a MAJOR struggle for her. Like someone else said above, putting new food in her mouth makes her feel sick and she can't even chew it. She used to get panic attacks when faced with the prospect of trying something new (which is why counseling didn't work; she had to take it at her own pace). Its a really sad, difficult and genuine condition that seriously impairs your life. I think this is the main thing you need to focus on overcoming with your boyfriend before focusing on his weight. I know that is easier said than done when he is clearly stubborn about the whole thing. I guess he just needs to realise how much better his life can be if he starts to change his eating habits...He needs to want to change. Just really talk to him about the whole thing. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    It's not on topic but what's the difference between legumes and vegetables http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/o.gif
    aww

legumes are more like beans n whatnot

anda C&P job

A legume is a plant in the family Fabaceae (or Leguminosae), or a fruit of these specific plants. A 'legume' fruit is a simple dry fruit that develops from a simple carpel and usually dehisces (opens along a seam) on two sides. A common name for this type of fruit is a "pod", although pod is also applied to a few other fruit types, such as vanilla. Well-known legumes include alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, and p
    eanuts.

ReputationRep:
    This is odd because if it was anorexia you would expect him to be obsessed with eating low calorie food yet when he eats it is really unhealthy food he is eating...

either way he needs some counselling or something...

ReputationRep:
    Anorexia just means a lack of desire to eat.
    which is what he has.

ReputationRep:
    This really reminds me of the superskinny girl on that show called Supersize vs Superskinny or something. Anyone remember the episode with two nurses? Anyway she just drank diet coke for breakfast and lunch, and then ate a kid size portion of food for dinner. She would avoid any food which she 'didn't like' - she has 2 kids and had such a childish attitude to food. And ate 350 calories a day.

I think there are definite food phobias and that your bf definitely has one - the fear of trying new things, and knowing just from smelling and looking at things that it won't taste good etc., the throwing up. ]

I think you need to take him to the doctor's for a general health check up. Once he is told of the dangers he has put himself in - I'm guessing the lack of nutrients and calcium is wreaking havoc - he might get the desire to change. Then take it slow - don't start with a plate of spinach -
    (Original post by lemily)
    - brilliant advice on how to actually tackle it.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    http://images.fanpop.com/images/imag...33_300_451.jpg

instant gain a stone solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    Hi, I felt I should reply as I have had a similar experience.
    Christ on a bike. Good effort

Rep, however insignificant a reward that is, for you tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    This really reminds me of the superskinny girl on that show called Supersize vs Superskinny or something. Anyone remember the episode with two nurses? Anyway she just drank diet coke for breakfast and lunch, and then ate a kid size portion of food for dinner. She would avoid any food which she 'didn't like' - she has 2 kids and had such a childish attitude to food. And ate 350 calories a day.

I think there are definite food phobias and that your bf definitely has one - the fear of trying new things, and knowing just from smelling and looking at things that it won't taste good etc., the throwing up. ]

I think you need to take him to the doctor's for a general health check up. Once he is told of the dangers he has put himself in - I'm guessing the lack of nutrients and calcium is wreaking havoc - he might get the desire to change. Then take it slow - don't start with a plate of spinach - - brilliant advice on how to actually tackle it.

Best of luck
    high5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)

I think you need to take him to the doctor's for a general health check up. Once he is told of the dangers he has put himself in - I'm guessing the lack of nutrients and calcium is wreaking havoc - he might get the desire to change. Then take it slow - don't start with a plate of spinach -
    - brilliant advice on how to actually tackle it.

Best of luck

mmm spinach, I love spinach :yum:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OiaB)
    Christ on a bike. Good effort

Rep, however insignificant a reward that is, for you tomorrow.
    ha! I love your avatar, radioactive cat thing! :flip:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    aww

legumes are more like beans n whatnot

anda C&P job

eanuts.
    Fanks! But umm... why do you call them the French word for vegetables then It's confusing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.