Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So just finished my GCSE's.. found them easier than i expected and hope i've done well but i'm planning on putting anxiety about my results to the back of my mind until a week before i get them.. (wish me luckn with that one)

Anyways. I've started stressing about my AS level subjects.. and i don't think i can fully relax into summer til i have it clear in my head what i'm going to do.
    I've decided upon Maths (lovee maths), Chemistry (i'm good at it and enjoy it.. also need it for medicine), Biology (love it) and heres the problem.. can't decide between Physics, Geography or Music.

Physics- i lovee it and found gcse reallly easy but aparently AS and A level are ridicously hard and i think the subjects im doing will be hard enough and i dont want to be snowed under!

Geography- again i found it soooo easy and aparently its not too bad an a-level but i dont enjoy it as much as physics or music but if it means i have more tinme for my other subjects if i struggle with them i would do it.

Music- I LOVED MUSIC GCSE! but the paper was soo much harder than i expected and i dont think ive got an A*... and dont want to take that risk at AS level...

Sorry this thread is soo long so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Since you enjoy physics most, I would say take it. It's not ridiculously hard in A-level so long as you do all your h/w and study notes. Physics is more about understanding the topics and manipulating equations rather than memorising the book. I am doing 5 (including FM) and I have plenty of spare time. Just don't go into A-levels thinking they are ridiculously hard or you might not have the mindset to go for the high grades. Just do it step by step, day by day and you will find it much easier than cramming it in at the final 2 weeks or so.

ReputationRep:
    you have to think what is going to help you..sounds like you wanna do medicine at uni?? the maths chemistry and biology are all key to doing medicine so they are definitely good choices.

doing physics: well it is another science..but do you really need it,..and lots of my friends who did at a level also said it was hard, but then you can drop it after a year i suppose...plus it gives you a more sciencey base to work from.

doing geography: it gets harder at a level i think( i don't do it but friends do) however i don't think it gets that hard...it would be an easier subject, and would ease the workload a bit, perhaps being an easier as level for you. however there are project based work and trips (or at least in my school there are) therefore you have to think about would this effect your other subjects or not and can you fit it in. on the upside..it shows that you can do something other than science..

music:well you enjoy it and frankly..does it really matter if you didn;t get the a*?? a is practically just as good as it is a hard subject. doing it at as level at least is probably good. carrying it on further is just a waste. yes it will be very hard though and you need to be able to compose easily. but again it shows you have other interests apart from sciencey things..

this is longer than your original thread but eyy well (: hope i helped a little.
    basically just do whatever you will enjoy, the sciences are always quite hard so you may as well do something that will give you a bit of a break and not put too much pressure on you in your first year of 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to like physics the most, so I'd say do it.

But thank God you aren't doing old spec Edexcel physics or else you would have hated it...ALOT! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Do physics

ReputationRep:
    I found did music and physics at AS but ended up dropping music. Found it considerably harder than GCSE, which I didn't really have any problems with. I'd go for physics. If you had no problem at GCSE and love maths I don't see any reason why you wouldn't do very well at A level. With physics it seems that you either get it or you don't, and since you seem to have a strong mathematical background I'm sure you'd do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Physics. But ensure you are on top of the work from day one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floralteapot)
    you have to think what is going to help you..sounds like you wanna do medicine at uni?? the maths chemistry and biology are all key to doing medicine so they are definitely good choices.

doing physics: well it is another science..but do you really need it,..and lots of my friends who did at a level also said it was hard, but then you can drop it after a year i suppose...plus it gives you a more sciencey base to work from.

doing geography: it gets harder at a level i think( i don't do it but friends do) however i don't think it gets that hard...it would be an easier subject, and would ease the workload a bit, perhaps being an easier as level for you. however there are project based work and trips (or at least in my school there are) therefore you have to think about would this effect your other subjects or not and can you fit it in. on the upside..it shows that you can do something other than science..

music:well you enjoy it and frankly..does it really matter if you didn;t get the a*?? a is practically just as good as it is a hard subject. doing it at as level at least is probably good. carrying it on further is just a waste. yes it will be very hard though and you need to be able to compose easily. but again it shows you have other interests apart from sciencey things..

this is longer than your original thread but eyy well (: hope i helped a little.
    basically just do whatever you will enjoy, the sciences are always quite hard so you may as well do something that will give you a bit of a break and not put too much pressure on you in your first year of 6th form.
    It helped loads thanks! And as for it being longer than my original thread just shows me you were nice enough to take the time to reply. I'm really swaying towards music now becuase composing is my forte and i love composing.. and i have grade 8 piano so the preformance should be okay too. :yep: Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Music is the hardest, I found it incredibly difficult. Physics isn't too difficult and Geography I found pretty easy although it will depend on which specification you're doing. If you want a course with a low workload then I'd recommend Physics or Geography, most definitely not Music.

From the opinions you've given, you're obviously more likely to enjoy Physics and it's a good A level option too so I'd go for that. However, Geography would be an advantage as it would give you a much more diverse range of qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore music :P. Your left with physics or geography. Physics was quite a step up from my GCSE course, and geography was fairly boring. I would say physics though, as your doing maths and I enjoyed it more than geography.

ReputationRep:
    Physics definitely! I found it very easy at A level and very enjoyable too.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm in a similar position to you to be honest! But since you sound like you want to do medicine and all here is a few things I would consider

1) If you are looking to get into a top level university, such as Oxbridge, as far as my research tells me, they do prefer if you have as many sciences as possible. But then since you are already doing 3 maths/science subjects, it shouldnt be a problem, and you might not need physics.

2) Music and Geography are outisde the science/math field, and shows a wider range of ability.

3) You would be good at physics because you already do math, and apparently Physics is mainly math

4) MOST IMPORTANTLY: If you enjoy something, or are good at it, you should go for it. Chances are: if you enjoy it, you will find it easier, and it takes up less time.

Music - Varied, and you seem to enjoy it, shows a breadth of ability, but you already do it outside of school and it can be tough at times
    Geography - is different from your other 3 subjects, shows range of ability, but you dont enjoy it as much
    Physics - compliments your other subjects and might impress top level universities, but it is quite a tough A level

Sorry I couldn't give you a definate answer and that my answer is so LONG :P ThIf you need any more help or anything, just message me, I'm happy to help.
    And good luck on your results dayy!

PS. I've got my grade 8 piano too! We have a lot in common And I found the Music paper SO tough this year too!

ReputationRep:
    If you like physics the most, then do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs Matt Bellamy)
    So just finished my GCSE's.. found them easier than i expected and hope i've done well but i'm planning on putting anxiety about my results to the back of my mind until a week before i get them.. (wish me luckn with that one)

Anyways. I've started stressing about my AS level subjects.. and i don't think i can fully relax into summer til i have it clear in my head what i'm going to do.
    I've decided upon Maths (lovee maths), Chemistry (i'm good at it and enjoy it.. also need it for medicine), Biology (love it) and heres the problem.. can't decide between Physics, Geography or Music.

Physics- i lovee it and found gcse reallly easy but aparently AS and A level are ridicously hard and i think the subjects im doing will be hard enough and i dont want to be snowed under!

Geography- again i found it soooo easy and aparently its not too bad an a-level but i dont enjoy it as much as physics or music but if it means i have more tinme for my other subjects if i struggle with them i would do it.

Music- I LOVED MUSIC GCSE! but the paper was soo much harder than i expected and i dont think ive got an A*... and dont want to take that risk at AS level...

I did Biology , Physics , Chemistry and Math.
    I'm a fan of science.:p:
    You'll be fine if you work hard and study daily.

ReputationRep:

Music, well I'm pretty sure you need garde 5 in an instrument and theory to do AS level? It's a good a level, but seems very unrealated to medicine. If you're finding it hard at GCSE, then maybe not a good bet.

Geography. I did this at GCSE and just at AS Level. Tbh, if you're a general A/A* GCSE student, and you've got good general knowledge, you watch the news and keep up with current affairs, and have common sense, there'es no reason why you couldn't do this, with not very much work or revision at all; we never get geography homework! And you're right in thinknig it is easier, and it will help you concentrate on the harder science subjects. Furthermore, all med schools will see it as a very good subject, perfectly acceptable, and it shows some breadth; you're not just a scientist, you can write essays and have an awareness of the world around you.

Physics: if you enjoy it more, do it! if you like it, even if you find it difficult, you'll work at it and get a good grade. it is harder, but if you enjoy the science then do it! however don't be under the impression it gives you an advantage over geog for medicine. all med schools don't mind 1 or 2 subjects not being sciences, infact many prefere it, as it shows you are a well rounded person. even oxbridge don't "want" physics, they like it if you have it, but form what i heard at the open day,. you won't be at any more of a disadvanatge if you did take geog.

apologies, i've rambled. but if you want to take the safe bet, then do geog. if you decide you really do love physics, then do it but it may be slightly more work. you could always start with all 5 in sept, and then decide after a few weeks which you prefere.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzypants)
    Music, well I'm pretty sure you need garde 5 in an instrument and theory to do AS level? It's a good a level, but seems very unrealated to medicine. If you're finding it hard at GCSE, then maybe not a good bet.

Geography. I did this at GCSE and just at AS Level. Tbh, if you're a general A/A* GCSE student, and you've got good general knowledge, you watch the news and keep up with current affairs, and have common sense, there'es no reason why you couldn't do this, with not very much work or revision at all; we never get geography homework! And you're right in thinknig it is easier, and it will help you concentrate on the harder science subjects. Furthermore, all med schools will see it as a very good subject, perfectly acceptable, and it shows some breadth; you're not just a scientist, you can write essays and have an awareness of the world around you.

Physics: if you enjoy it more, do it! if you like it, even if you find it difficult, you'll work at it and get a good grade. it is harder, but if you enjoy the science then do it! however don't be under the impression it gives you an advantage over geog for medicine. all med schools don't mind 1 or 2 subjects not being sciences, infact many prefere it, as it shows you are a well rounded person. even oxbridge don't "want" physics, they like it if you have it, but form what i heard at the open day,. you won't be at any more of a disadvanatge if you did take geog.

apologies, i've rambled. but if you want to take the safe bet, then do geog. if you decide you really do love physics, then do it but it may be slightly more work. you could always start with all 5 in sept, and then decide after a few weeks which you prefere.

good luck!
    Just to clarify, only UCL and Peninsula say they prefer it (and even then, many people get into UCL without a contrasting subject). The rest don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpatb)
    Well I'm in a similar position to you to be honest! But since you sound like you want to do medicine and all here is a few things I would consider

1) If you are looking to get into a top level university, such as Oxbridge, as far as my research tells me, they do prefer if you have as many sciences as possible. But then since you are already doing 3 maths/science subjects, it shouldnt be a problem, and you might not need physics.

2) Music and Geography are outisde the science/math field, and shows a wider range of ability.

3) You would be good at physics because you already do math, and apparently Physics is mainly math

4) MOST IMPORTANTLY: If you enjoy something, or are good at it, you should go for it. Chances are: if you enjoy it, you will find it easier, and it takes up less time.

Music - Varied, and you seem to enjoy it, shows a breadth of ability, but you already do it outside of school and it can be tough at times
    Geography - is different from your other 3 subjects, shows range of ability, but you dont enjoy it as much
    Physics - compliments your other subjects and might impress top level universities, but it is quite a tough A level

Sorry I couldn't give you a definate answer and that my answer is so LONG :P ThIf you need any more help or anything, just message me, I'm happy to help.
    And good luck on your results dayy!

PS. I've got my grade 8 piano too! We have a lot in common And I found the Music paper SO tough this year too!
    The fact that you found the music hard to has really reassured me so thanks! And again thanks for time to reply hope its helped you too cos you said you were in a similar position. . :yep: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you found the music hard to has really reassured me so thanks! And again thanks for time to reply hope its helped you too cos you said you were in a similar position. . :yep: :yep:
    Well it has
    Like I said we have a lot in common

Just incase you were wondering: Music is 30% performance. Play 3 of your grade 8 pieces, and for A2 play some pieces of grade 7 or 8 standard (which should take about a year) and thats 30% of your A level in the bag. EASYY PEASY! And you dont even have to study for it! And composition is like coursework too. So if you Ace the composition and Performance thats 60% done :O

(I had a good long think about it... annd) if you are REALLY certain you want to go into medicine, you should probably do physics.

Ive decided on Math, Further Math, Phys, Chem and Music. So I have my 3 sciences if I want to go into Medicine, Engineering or Music (:

I really wish you luck Let me know what you chose, because I'm really interested to know now :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floralteapot)
    Your friends doing geography, do they miss other subject lessons for the trips??? I'm thinking of taking it

ReputationRep:
    well just last week they went out for a day to a farm...for some thing they had to do..but that was the last week of term so it was ok,.
    erm..earlier on they did miss abut 4 days maybe?? i'm not too sure but if you work hard enough it would be quite easy to catch up. in sixth form there are many opportunities that you must miss school for and you usually catch up. I have missed about 3 days for Open Days this year, as well as other things such as young enterprise but most of the time you have to ask your teachers first before you go so they;ll tell you what you're missing and you can catch up quickly (:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.