Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which one is better?
    IB or A-levels??????

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how well you do in them...

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, the IB is a flawed qualification that has very little use over standard A-Levels.

Firstly, one needs to complete CAS hours to pass. I believe that things like that should be kept seperate from an academic qualification.
    Secondly, they fact that you have to be good at a range of subjects to pass. The need for knowledge over that range at that level is entirely useless - why would a prospective scientist have any reason to learn about world literature.
    Thirdly, it is too much of a workload. If people are taking a qualification at 16/17, where they are under that amount of pressure they communicate they are, it is only going to be detrimental to their mental health.

A-levels on the other hand rarely destroy people mentally. People only do the subjects they like and are focused for. They don't do unnecessary things. They don't have to be good at sports or charitable to show how clever they are. They aren't under too much stress. Their intellegence is tested over two years, leading to a more accurate representation of their ability. Sounds better imo.

I feel the IB is also more of a political qualification than anything else. It seems very pro '1 world, 1 gov' as if made mainstream it would slowly take the control of what children have to learn out of government hands. Yes, I know it was made by a Swiss person. Yes, I don't feel it makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigfatflanker)
    In my opinion, the IB is a flawed qualification that has very little use over standard A-Levels.

Firstly, one needs to complete CAS hours to pass. I believe that things like that should be kept seperate from an academic qualification.
    Secondly, they fact that you have to be good at a range of subjects to pass. The need for knowledge over that range at that level is entirely useless - why would a prospective scientist have any reason to learn about world literature.
    Thirdly, it is too much of a workload. If people are taking a qualification at 16/17, where they are under that amount of pressure they communicate they are, it is only going to be detrimental to their mental health.

A-levels on the other hand rarely destroy people mentally. People only do the subjects they like and are focused for. They don't do unnecessary things. They don't have to be good at sports or charitable to show how clever they are. They aren't under too much stress. Their intellegence is tested over two years, leading to a more accurate representation of their ability. Sounds better imo.

I feel the IB is also more of a political qualification than anything else. It seems very pro '1 world, 1 gov' as if made mainstream it would slowly take the control of what children have to learn out of government hands. Yes, I know it was made by a Swiss person. Yes, I don't feel it makes a difference.

I agree to some extent with what you say, however I think the IB is a great qualification as it is recognised globally as a bit higher than A-levels . . .
    Also, from what I've heard from my friends who graduated previous years, the IB helps you prepare mentally for univeristy and if you decide to go to the states, your higher level subjects might actually gain you credits before you even start uni if you do well!
    So tbh, I think IB is better, probably becuase I did the IB myself... but be warned, it is a tough challenge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigfatflanker)

So, which one would u suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd go for A levels. They are more in depth, and providing you take a good range, they are just as good.

Stories that I've heard from IB- particularly at Oxford/Durham/Warwick was that the offers given were nigh on impossible to achieve. This is particularly evident if one subject drags the others down.

In my opinion, if you really want to illustrate commitment and dedication to a subject, it should be done in your own time, outside of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mist786)
    So, which one would u suggest?
    A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    IB because it stops you being a boring person.

EDIT: a-levels are easier though.

ReputationRep:
    Depends IB would be better for students who would want to study abroad, as it is globally recognised. However I would encourage you to do A-levels as individuals do better in subjects they enjoy as opposed to studying 6 subjects from the required sections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    IB because it stops you being a boring person.
    Good joke, all the IBers at my local college are the most boring bunch of 'cultured academics' ever who spend all their time engaging with some facet of the IB. Do A-Levels, live your life, have fun. Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mist786)
    Which one is better?
    IB or A-levels??????
    I recommend A Levels (I'm a fresh IB grad) assuming teaching quality is the same.

A Levels are easier - you don't have to choose subjects you don't care for; e.g. if you're a scientist you don't have to do English and foreign language and humanities and vice versa, so you are free to choose only stuff you're really interested + will do well in. University offers for A Levels are less challenging than those for IB - with A Levels, a student has > half the exams out of the way going into June A2 exams due to the module system, and has the chance to retake earlier modules. With IB, most exams and all HLs are taken in May of Year 13, which is far more stressful (unis often specify certain marks in HLs). IB also has these extras like CAS, Extended Essay, TOK which can be quite rigid and prescriptive (not to mention a ton of paperwork), and you can pursue those in your spare time from A Levels anyway.

In the US A Levels are pretty recognised - a full academic A Level usually gets credit just like a IB HL at the US big names. I can't really think of a common destination for higher education where A Levels aren't recognised but IB is.

ReputationRep:
    For Sciences I'd say A levels for sure, just take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. You don't have to waste time on stuff you'll never even need which is a big plus.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a qualification do A-Levels, if you want an education do IB. Personally I want a qualification as the career path I'm going down is only studied at university ('cause no uni advises one to do A-Level law). If you genuinely want to learn an eclectic mix of subjects, the IB is probably for you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.