Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ok, so the NTU forum has been rather dead as of late. So, I am starting this to try and kick some life back into this place!
    This one's all about starting Uni - so, what exactly is on YOUR list to take to Trent?
    Also, if you're unsure on some things to take, post your questions in here, and they'll get answered.
    This OP will be updated each time someone adds an item to the list by posting in this thread or every time someone adds a tip.
    Thanks to Pasta Man for his ideas! Lists complied by TSR, tips by myself and Pasta_Man_Beast.

There is a list here, on the Trent Freshers 09 Facebook Group; run by Trent students:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/t...855&topic=7101

And I reccommend you check this list out on the TSR Wikipedia, too:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._To_University

NB - Not everyone will take all things on these lists. These are just guidelines; and there will inevitably be some things you won't take on there.

TIPS:

Banned Items
    There is usually a list of banned items in your residency. These normally include Fairy Lights (Health and Safety Hazard) and Mini Fridges. If you're going to bring a Mini Fridge (Nobody likes warm beer!!) then cover it with something, and make it less obvious.

Television and Internet
    Another key tip is being a TV signal booster. The TV points are rubbish. Always remember that if you're going to be bringing a Television to Trent - even if it's just to play computer games with; you'll need a TV licence (usually around 100 pounds) - so get it sorted before you go! These are available from the post office and online.
    You're no doubt going to want internet too whilst you're there. The reccommendation is (From the reps at open days and previous Freshers) to go sign up and pay for your internet as soon as you can when you get there. There are several speeds - the slowest of which I am reliably informed is pretty damn slow - so get the best connection you can, and get it quick; as there are apparently only a certain number of certain connection speeds available.
    NB - The point on internet may vary from residence to residence - the information I was given was based on Peverell.

Laundrette
    Bring the tablets for the launderette; not liquids as they're not allowed.
    This should apply to most University-Based Laundrettes.

Alcohol!!
    Have a ready supply of alcohol or what I call a "buffer stock". If you have a constant supply you'll never need to run out to the shops if you have a spontaneous drinking session (which is more than likely!).

When You Get There:
    Make sure you keep your accommodation tidy and you don't break any appliances or other items in there. UPP people (The people that run most University Accommodation) are incredibly strict (Peverell is known for being very lenient in Fresher's week, but seriously strict after); and if you break something, or are caught doing something you shouldn't be, you are liable to lose your 200 pound booking deposit.

Hope all this helps!
    If anyone has any more tips or items to add to the lists, please PM me or post them in here and I will update the thread! Let's keep this going and make it a great help to all our 2009 Freshers and possibly for the following years!

ReputationRep:
    Good idea for a thread.
    I'll be taking things to jazz up my room - lots of posters and little cute decorations; i heard fairy lights are banned though?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by felicityx)
    Good idea for a thread.
    I'll be taking things to jazz up my room - lots of posters and little cute decorations; i heard fairy lights are banned though?
    No idea, but a true story - they were banned from some towns in the UK because it was deemed offensive to gay people!
    I believe Mini-Fridges are banned too.
    Oh, and a word from a First Year - If you're staying at Peverell, you can get away with almost absolutely anything during Fresher's week; Propping the door open with Fire Extinguishers, having massive Block Parties, etc - but the moment Fresher's Week stops, the UPP people (People running the Accommodation) lay the law down so hard it's unbelieveable! Whilst that was said about Peverell (Thanks to Porridge for that info!) - it propbably applies in some shape or form to the other halls on all three campuses; so just a word of advice there from someone who knows
    Benj

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenjiDeane)
    No idea, but a true story - they were banned from some towns in the UK because it was deemed offensive to gay people!
    I believe Mini-Fridges are banned too.
    Oh, and a word from a First Year - If you're staying at Peverell, you can get away with almost absolutely anything during Fresher's week; Propping the door open with Fire Extinguishers, having massive Block Parties, etc - but the moment Fresher's Week stops, the UPP people (People running the Accommodation) lay the law down so hard it's unbelieveable! Whilst that was said about Peverell (Thanks to Porridge for that info!) - it propbably applies in some shape or form to the other halls on all three campuses; so just a word of advice there from someone who knows
    Benj
    It's only in peverell that they're so lenient during that week. Mini fridges are banned, so are fairy lights. There should be a list in your tenancy agreement thing of what is banned. But I know of loads of people who had a fridge in their room, just cover it with something.

Another key tip is being a TV signal booster. The TV points are ****.

Bring the tablets for the launderette not liquids as they're not allowed.

Have a ready supply of alcohol or what I call a "buffer stock". If you have a constant supply you'll never need to run out to the shops if you have a spontaneous drinking session.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by pasta_man_beast)
    It's only in peverell that they're so lenient during that week. Mini fridges are banned, so are fairy lights. There should be a list in your tenancy agreement thing of what is banned. But I know of loads of people who had a fridge in their room, just cover it with something.

Another key tip is being a TV signal booster. The TV points are ****.

Bring the tablets for the launderette not liquids as they're not allowed.

Have a ready supply of alcohol or what I call a "buffer stock". If you have a constant supply you'll never need to run out to the shops if you have a spontaneous drinking session.
    Cheers Pasta Man, I'll keep updating the OP with tips for all the Freshers each time someone posts them here.
    Benji
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Updated!

ReputationRep:
    The Internet for all UPP run halls is the same provider as the one for peverell so all will be fairly slow. I think some of the private halls in city have the same Internet provider too so get used to it going off at the worst times of year right near essay/exam deadlines.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my decks so lots of parties at peverell

ReputationRep:
    I think I might get one of those wireless internet stick things for my laptop cos internet sounds crap in halls lol!
    Also cheers for the tip bout tablets for launderette and a TV signal booster! (:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Keep the tips and items coming in guys

ReputationRep:
    Is it a definite fact about mini-fridges? And if so what can I cover it up with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorpio2211)
    Is it a definite fact about mini-fridges? And if so what can I cover it up with?
    Blenheim turned a bit of a blind eye to the mini fridges. Someone recommended a white sheet with some religious stuff around it (say it's a shrine!) and they can't say ****.

I suggest army gear for Trent Army nights. It's always a bit of a laugh.
    And patience for the slow internet at uni halls

ReputationRep:
    Slow internet? wat

I dont want to be playing Call of Duty with a dial-up connection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SensiDub)
    Slow internet? wat

I dont want to be playing Call of Duty with a dial-up connection
    It's dead slow, and to play online games etc you have to pay extra and even then there is practically no difference in the internet speed.

ReputationRep:
    It's dead slow, and to play online games etc you have to pay extra and even then there is practically no difference in the internet speed.
    SO glad I'm not living in halls, hehe.

Can't be doing without my Unreal Tournament!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what is already provided in the rooms and kitchen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .X.alysha.X.)
    Hot and cold running cockroaches and all the mildew you can eat!

Only kidding, haven't a clue, but I'm bored. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .X.alysha.X.)
    Cooker, oven, microwave, toaster, kettle, iron, ironing board, fridge freezer and a sink obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Cooker, oven, microwave, toaster, kettle, iron, ironing board, fridge freezer and a sink obviously.
    This may sound like a completely random question, but is the cooker gas or electric? (At peverell)

ReputationRep:
    I presume each flat comes with a fully trained female that knows how to use an ironing board?

Aw what, that's rubbish. There better be some gaming goons in and around so we can get some games going then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.