Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

White marks on fingernails.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    I thought white spots mean lack of calcuim so you need to drink more Milk!
    Aha, I was told it was lack of calcium too. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *theKid*)
    Aha, I was told it was lack of calcium too. :yep:
    aye the calcuim kid here

ReputationRep:
    cucumber- lots of zinc

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was lack of calcium? mum used to tell me when i was younger that i would have to drink a glass of milk every night for a week to get rid of them :| lol did she lie to me or ... lol

ReputationRep:
    Loads of zinc in beans I seem to remember

ReputationRep:
    http://z.hubpages.com/u/84216_f520.jpg

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+Causes+Whi...ernails%3F&l=1

There are many myths surrounding those mysterious white spots on fingernails that occasionally show up, but the simple truth is that the majority of white spots on fingernails are caused by a previous injury to the nail bed. They can be loosely compared to bruises on the skin.

If you notice white spots, also known as leukonychia, on your nails, they unlikely to have been caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency. In a few cases, white spots on fingernails can indicate an underlying infection, but much more commonly, they are the result of injury. Similar to bruising, white spots on fingernails do not show up immediately. It may take several days or weeks before you notice the spots. Because they are generally the result of a minor injury, you are likely to have forgotten all about banging your fingernail against the car door.

ReputationRep:
    The white marks are like bruises, but on your nails.

Best way to get rid of them is to stop tapping your nails.

Nothing to do with zinc or calcium defficiency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BPat)
    The white marks are like bruises, but on your nails.

Best way to get rid of them is to stop tapping your nails.

Nothing to do with zinc or calcium defficiency.

i never tap my nails and have white marks on 8 of my nails..
    i rekon it might be to do with calcium defficientcy...i hardly ever drink milk or eat cheese..and the only meat i eat is chicken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    Helpful conversation, everyone's contradicting each other :p:
    Heh I know! I've been drinking loads of milk so maybe I'll stop and see if they disappear!

ReputationRep:
    I think they are actually calcium spots, I used to have them. I started drinking more milk and now they're all gone

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere it is trauma to the nail bed. When I closed my thumb in a window, i got a big white mark on the nail.

ReputationRep:
    For many years I have had white spots on my finger nails and I have heard so many different things that it could be that i have just stopped caring about them :p:

I don't drink that much milk so yes it could be that but I also have a habit of dropping things on my hands so it could be either

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.