Turn on thread page Beta

bench press watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I do my incline bench press and standard bench press using a cage, I feel more comfortable using it this way than without. Will I be getting the same workout? I mean compared to doing the exercise without the cage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by man123)
    I do my incline bench press and standard bench press using a cage, I feel more comfortable using it this way than without. Will I be getting the same workout? I mean compared to doing the exercise without the cage?
    Are you getting the full range of motion? Is the barbell touching your chest?

Lost me.

You mean 'cage' as in a Smith machine? Or as in a power rack, cage, whatever?

If the former - no. If the latter - yes, as it's the same (free) movement. Just hurry yourself up should there be a queue of hungry squatters waiting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Are you getting the full range of motion? Is the barbell touching your chest?
    isn't it bad for your shoulders if it touches your chest. i just take my arms slightly lower than horizontal??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    isn't it bad for your shoulders if it touches your chest. i just take my arms slightly lower than horizontal??
    No.

The bench press is known not to be that great for your shoulders anyway. But if you aren't taking the weight down to your chest, it's not a bench press and you've got too much weight on the bar. Too much weight on the bar may lead to shoulder injury.

A better exercise is the over head press. This will strengthen your shoulders and make you better prepared for the bench press.

By "arms slightly lower than horizontal" I assume you mean your upper arm horizontal to the ground?

The barbell needs to come to your chest, but not bounce off of it. Think about touching your t-shirt, but NOT your chest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i use the smith machine to do those exercises. I feel like i can have correct form when lifting and for some reason my wrists don't hurt as much. I still feel like it work the chest muscles, but just want to check if i get the same result? I know for a fact its a little easier as i can bench 20kg each side with the smith machine, whereas on a normal "free" machine i can only do 15-17.5kg each side.

ReputationRep:
    and yes, i am getting the barbell just an inch to my chest, then i raise it back up faster, and lower it slower. I use a wide grip, and do 3 sets of 7 reps.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i use the smith machine to do those exercises. I feel like i can have correct form when lifting and for some reason my wrists don't hurt as much. I still feel like it work the chest muscles, but just want to check if i get the same result? I know for a fact its a little easier as i can bench 20kg each side with the smith machine, whereas on a normal "free" machine i can only do 15-17.5kg each side.
    Free machine?

Mate just do bench. The list of reasons are endless. Drop your ego, lift the weight.

ReputationRep:
    Stop using the Smith machine.

If your wrists are hurting, you haven't got good technique. Keep the barbell on the 'heel' of your hands (over your forearm) and not near your fingers. Your hands should not be bending backwards at the wrist.

50kg barbell bench press >> 60kg Smith fake-bench press.

ReputationRep:
    and yes, i am getting the barbell just an inch to my chest, then i raise it back up faster, and lower it slower. I use a wide grip, and do 3 sets of 7 reps.
    Touch your t-shirt, not your chest.

ReputationRep:
    ah ok. The reason i use the smith machine, is i thought i could achive better form when lifting, ie not letting the bar swing. I also thought you get the same movement(bar to your cheast and then back up). So does the smith machine not offer the same results as a standard free lift? I also use the smth machine for sitting down overhead shoulder press and behind the head shoulder press, is it better or worse to use the smith machine for that?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Brotherhood, your muscles can't read what weight is on the side of that bench press. Your muscles react to how you lift certain weights. Crap form + heavy weights = waste of time. Lower weight + good form = perfect.

ReputationRep:
    ah ok. The reason i use the smith machine, is i thought i could achive better form when lifting, ie not letting the bar swing. I also thought you get the same movement(bar to your cheast and then back up). So does the smith machine not offer the same results as a standard free lift? I also use the smth machine for sitting down overhead shoulder press and behind the head shoulder press, is it better or worse to use the smith machine for that?
    Smith machine bad. It does not give you the same results as free weights. It's the same for shoulder presses.

Free weights good.

ReputationRep:
    Pressing behind the neck messes your shoulders up, you don't need to do it.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.