Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: do you apply more powder to your face during a night out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I use one from Rimmel and it works just fine.
    Its transparent so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I guess this is a stupid question, but does everyone who's posted in this thread have spots? If not, what's the foundation for? Especially if you have to put powder on top of it to stop looking shiny! :confused: :o: :dontknow:
    Nah, it's not a stupid question!!

Foundation isn't just for covering spots (in fact, it rarely helps detract you from noticing them) it's to even the skin tone - blemishes, dark circles, pink cheeks, uneven pigment etc etc. It also works as a base for eye makeup and blusher. It creates a 'blank canvas' to give that flawless look.

I personally don't wear foundation, I wear concealer - to even out my skin tone and to cover old psoriasis scars and then powder to set it.

Spots and makeup rarely mix well in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i do, although i wouldn't necessarily recommend it! my face gets really shiny too and i carry powder in my bag, but putting on too much powder will make your face look orange and cakey even if u use the right shade if u keep layering it on. sometimes just blotting at your face with tissue does the job. but yeh i must admit powder-holic! :P

ReputationRep:
    I've found that blotting papers are surprisingly effective. I use the cheap ones they do in Boots - the packaging is a kind of blue/purple colour. They're great because not only do they really work, but they fit in your purse.

ReputationRep:
    I always have powder and a brush handy just in case, but my makeup tends to stay well put on a night out unless it's insanely sweaty. Majorca was the only time i've ever actually completely repowdered my face in a club

ReputationRep:
    I have oily skin, so I always always have a powder compact and brush with me so I can touch up wherever I go. I also carry oil blotting sheets too.

As for makeup looking shiny in photos, sometimes I think it can also be the foundation too (as opposed to just oiliness) - I've noticed in some photos if I'm wearing a light-reflective foundation (like Chanel Mat Lumiere, which has a slight shimmer) it can look shiny in photos even though it looks quite natural and matte in person.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot my blotting papers and powder for my college leavers do the other week and ended up looking shiny and horrible on all the photos - although it wasn't just me, near enough everyone looks the same because there was no air con in th eplace either :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever used powder in my life haha! I'm not sure my face gets massively shiny on a night out, but perhaps I should invest, can anyone suggest a good one? (I'm pale and don't wear foundation if that matters)

ReputationRep:
    Yes!
    Unless it's really dark and no one has got a camera or I'm too drunk to think about my face:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't usually take my powder/foundation to a club because they're both quite big and I have very small bags. Also I'm usually too drunk to put on powder without getting it uneven/turning orange. Always take lip gloss and eye liner though. Easier to put on when drunk, and I have had an eyeliner addiction since i was 14. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    I don't usually take my powder/foundation to a club because they're both quite big and I have very small bags. Also I'm usually too drunk to put on powder without getting it uneven/turning orange. Always take lip gloss and eye liner though. Easier to put on when drunk, and I have had an eyeliner addiction since i was 14. :o:
    easy to put on eyeliner when drunk!??
    you must be far more skilled at it than I am, I can barely do it stone cold sober lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    easy to put on eyeliner when drunk!??
    you must be far more skilled at it than I am, I can barely do it stone cold sober lol
    Haha I have perfected my eyeliner technique, still rubbish with powder/foundation/blusher though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear make-up apart from lipgloss, and even that is mostly vaseline, so i only cary vaseline

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do otherwise my face will look oilyyy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.