Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm really proud to tell you that I have just been offered a job in a college!!!! As a science tech

But currently I have no job to fund myself until it starts (near the end of August), and obviously I'm gona have to work at least 2 weeks(?) before I get my first pay?

I just wanted to know if anyone has a more realistic idea of whether you have to work long before you get paid, bearing in mind the job pays monthly (Don't know when during the month). I know I could ask them but this is something I should have done at interview, but didn't, so I feel a bit silly for asking after!

Also, what would other people do for money before that date? The only other jobs I've managed to find vacancies in is care work but there's a 3 week training course before you can start which is obviously not suitable. Would you just try and live off that last little bit of overdraft or just keep pushing for part time jobs such as bar work for now, and then if you don't hear anything until you're due to start your 'real' job then just turn it down?

I would just like some opinions of what you'd do, not someone telling me to apply to as many places as I can to get a job. I know that you have to do that to get a job, just want to know what other would do if they had a job to start in about a month

Thanks in advance x

ReputationRep:
    Why not sign up to some temp agencies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Why not sign up to some temp agencies?
    Yeh I'm signed up to two but one was useless and only ever offered contracted employment which was never suitable. And because I had a job for the past 3 years I'm at the bottom of the pile at the other place but if I keep ringing they might get me in at some point!! Yay factory work again :rolleyes: Oh well it's still money! I think there are a few others nearby, might be worth trying!

Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    any way you can go on the dole for 3 weeks? if you are really strapped for cash, ie starving, i doubt they would turn you down. alternativley, could you borrow a few hundred quid off a friend or family member?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalev)
    any way you can go on the dole for 3 weeks? if you are really strapped for cash, ie starving, i doubt they would turn you down. alternativley, could you borrow a few hundred quid off a friend or family member?
    Hmm, think I'd rather just borrow off my mum bit at a time as I need it. I'd like to avoid robbing tax payers money if parents can help me out. They're not really that rich so I don't know about a few hundred pounds but I do have faith that they'll feed me and help me out with insurance and petrol for the time being. Ideally I'd just like to not have to rely on them for the next 6 weeks or so!

ReputationRep:
    You can't go on the dole anyhow Shorty - cos you're not looking for work, you've got a job lined up to start soon.

Try local businesses where they'll pay you cash in hand, i.e. chip shops /small pubs. Cos I doubt many other places will wana put you on their pay roll for 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    You can't go on the dole anyhow Shorty - cos you're not looking for work, you've got a job lined up to start soon.

Try local businesses where they'll pay you cash in hand, i.e. chip shops /small pubs. Cos I doubt many other places will wana put you on their pay roll for 3 weeks.
    Yeh that's why I'm not applying at shops like my mum sugested, they generally want people to join a team. I might drop into a few pubs who know I worked as a barmaid for 3 years, although I did try that before getting a job but maybe something has opened up since. I suppose I could take my mums advice and give the landlord from my old job a text. He has covered me since I left and has about a million staff at the mo but you never know!

Chip shops isn't a bad idea I guess! There's a few near me.

Just out of interest, my friends is applying to be a teacher and she reckons that during summer holidays teachers (and other school staff like I'll be) are technically not employed, and can therefore go on the dole. Is she wrong? I have no experience in education jobs so I just didn't argue :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Yeh that's why I'm not applying at shops like my mum sugested, they generally want people to join a team. I might drop into a few pubs who know I worked as a barmaid for 3 years, although I did try that before getting a job but maybe something has opened up since. I suppose I could take my mums advice and give the landlord from my old job a text. He has covered me since I left and has about a million staff at the mo but you never know!

Chip shops isn't a bad idea I guess! There's a few near me.

Just out of interest, my friends is applying to be a teacher and she reckons that during summer holidays teachers (and other school staff like I'll be) are technically not employed, and can therefore go on the dole. Is she wrong? I have no experience in education jobs so I just didn't argue :p:
    Yes she is wrong, teachers are paid usually on 12monthly contracts thus still getting paid over the summer. There are still jobs that they may have to do during the summer, generally related to their classrooms. However there are exceptions - such as supply teachers or those on term-time only contracts, who could apply for the dole.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably it depends on your contract. In my old school I was on a CDD, contrat de durée déterminé, which basically = temporary contract. It lasted 10 months, September-June, so I would have been unemployed during this summer if I had stayed there and therefore able to claim benefits.
    However, at my current school, I'm on a CDI, contrat de durée indeterminé, which = permanent contract or a contract for an indeterminate time period. I'm therefore technically employed as I'm being paid over the summer even though I'm not actually going into work every day, and therefore it would be morally dubious at the very least to claim benefits in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Presumably it depends on your contract. In my old school I was on a CDD, contrat de durée déterminé, which basically = temporary contract. It lasted 10 months, September-June, so I would have been unemployed during this summer if I had stayed there and therefore able to claim benefits.
    However, at my current school, I'm on a CDI, contrat de durée indeterminé, which = permanent contract or a contract for an indeterminate time period. I'm therefore technically employed as I'm being paid over the summer even though I'm not actually going into work every day, and therefore it would be morally dubious at the very least to claim benefits in this situation.
    That is pretty much irrelevant unless her friend is working in France.

ReputationRep:
    Yes she is wrong, teachers are paid usually on 12monthly contracts thus still getting paid over the summer. There are still jobs that they may have to do during the summer, generally related to their classrooms. However there are exceptions - such as supply teachers or those on term-time only contracts, who could apply for the dole.
    Yeh I thought that because even though she's not going in during the summer, I think she only has about 2 weeks to do in the summer, she will still technically employed won't she? Due to her salary being paid over 12 months, and therefore unable to claim benefits. Oh well I'm sure she'll figure that out herself!

ReputationRep:
    If you have old stuff to sell, you could just eBay it? That would free up space in your house, earn you money and be relatively stress-free. You can even get up in the afternoon if you like!

Edit: plus you would avoid all the malarky detailed in the post above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    If you have old stuff to sell, you could just eBay it? That would free up space in your house, earn you money and be relatively stress-free. You can even get up in the afternoon if you like!

Edit: plus you would avoid all the malarky detailed in the post above.
    Oh yes! I've been focussing on working when I have potential money in my room!

Why is it I'm the first to suggest ways of making money but when it's me I panic and can't think!

I have plenty of uni books I don't need anymore so I can put them on amazon or something. Got some clothes which have never been worn too (gifts :rolleyes: ) so I guess I could try them. What else sells??

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes! I've been focussing on working when I have potential money in my room!

Why is it I'm the first to suggest ways of making money but when it's me I panic and can't think!

I have plenty of uni books I don't need anymore so I can put them on amazon or something. Got some clothes which have never been worn too (gifts :rolleyes: ) so I guess I could try them. What else sells??
    Toys, old music CDs, DVDs, collectors items, old phones, teddy bears, and yes, books are always a good idea.

Oh, and have a look through your 20p coins, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Toys, old music CDs, DVDs, collectors items, old phones, teddy bears, and yes, books are always a good idea.

Oh, and have a look through your 20p coins, just in case.
    Cool, I think toys are a bit out of reach but I could go through my DVD's and have a look at my old phones.

I wouldn't know what to even think about doing with teddy bears...

ReputationRep:
    Cool, I think toys are a bit out of reach but I could go through my DVD's and have a look at my old phones.

I wouldn't know what to even think about doing with teddy bears...
    Haha well, some people have them (not me). :p:

You can be creative, anything you can buy, can also be sold.

ReputationRep:
    I would say try full time at McDonalds for now...

I got a weekend job there :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    I would say try full time at McDonalds for now...

I got a weekend job there :woo:
    They turned me down 3 years ago :mad2: I'm still bitter...

Haha, but seriously everyone I know has already asked about vacancies in all these places. I'll keep my eyes open in the next few weeks though 'cause anything can change!

Weekend work wouldn't be a bad idea, hadn't thought about that :rolleyes: Thanks. I was just thinking of full time work when to be honest any little bit would be beneficial at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    When you start your job, perhaps you could explain your situation and ask for an advance? What about cleaning work or baby sitting?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.