Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just recently started going gym again as I stopped for about a year and I'm trying to make a good weekly routine I've decided to do a spilt workout. I will post it and tell me if its any good and if there are any additions I can make or take anythink away.

Monday: Chest + Triceps
    Tuesday: Back + Biceps
    Wednesday: ?
    Thursday: Legs + shoulders
    Fridays: ?
    Saturdays: Cardio
    Sundays: Rest

Chest - Bench Press or DB bench press
    - DB Fly
    - Pec dec machine and DB Pullover (not so sure on these two but I will also do pressups and variations of them)

Triceps - I have no idea for this one any help would be appriciated

Back - DB bent over row/ one arm bent over row
    - Deadlift
    - Pulldowns
    - Shrugs

Biceps - DB curls
    - Barbell curls, two variations. The bar isn't an ordinary one though but I don't know what its called.
    - 21's
    - one arm cable curl

Legs - Squats
    - DB Lunge

Shoulders - Upright Row
    - Military press
    - Lateral raises
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    IF you want a decent split routine do this:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19594

ReputationRep:
    I certainly wouldn't bother with the pec dec and would focus on bench press variations for the chest. I don't really know that specific tricep exercise is of much use if you're doing enough benching and military pressing (which should be your main exercises for chest/shoulders respectively). You've almost certainly got too much bicep exercise there aswell - it's one small muscle that gets plenty of work from rows so you don't need 4 more exercises for it on the same day.

I don't know what your intentions are for how you're going to go about doing exercises (are they all done with roughly equal intensity or are you deliberately having a main exercise and accessory exercises?) but basically you want to focus on:

Bench, deadlift, rows, squats and military press.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I certainly wouldn't bother with the pec dec and would focus on bench press variations for the chest. I don't really know that specific tricep exercise is of much use if you're doing enough benching and military pressing (which should be your main exercises for chest/shoulders respectively). You've almost certainly got too much bicep exercise there aswell - it's one small muscle that gets plenty of work from rows so you don't need 4 more exercises for it on the same day.

I don't know what your intentions are for how you're going to go about doing exercises (are they all done with roughly equal intensity or are you deliberately having a main exercise and accessory exercises?) but basically you want to focus on:

Bench, deadlift, rows, squats and military press.
    I was going to be doing them all roughely of the same intensity but if focusing on those that you mentioned will give me better results then thats what I'll do.
    Would you say its better to do those five exercises first in each session with full intensity then do one to two accessory exercises with them each time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruce_Bateman)
    I was going to be doing them all roughely of the same intensity but if focusing on those that you mentioned will give me better results then thats what I'll do.
    Would you say its better to do those five exercises first in each session with full intensity then do one to two accessory exercises with them each time?
    It's better to perform bigger lifts earlier on before you're fatigued and then do the accessory work - both because doing accessory work before the big compounds will affect how much you lift on the compounds and these are where you're going to build most of your strength, and because it's more dangerous to do the bigger lifts when you're tired, especially if the accessory exercises are isolations which leave particular muscles used in the compound lift more tired relative to the others.

ReputationRep:
    Close grip bench press is good for the triceps. And skullcrushers too supposedly, although I haven't done them yet.

ReputationRep:
    Starting strengthhh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.