Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi guys... any advice would be so welcomed right now cos im really starting to panic about funding uni! its kinda getting to the point im seriously considering not going, just because its going to cost so much

basically, student finance have really messed up my loan, and even though i come from a low income family i have been non income assessed, so im really really short on what i should be getting. my yearly rent for halls next year is £4124 and my yearly loan is £3600ish. so im already £500+ down, and ive not even arrived yet! i do have savings, but i really really did not want to touch them really early on, i tried to get a transfer at my current job (just a supermarket, but its an income right?!) but that didnt work, it fell through so whilst at one point i thought i'd be sorted, have loans and grants that covered my rent with money spare AND a definate job, i now have neither of these things. my parents can't afford to pay for my room (low income family again) and im totally stressing out. how do people do it?! im so so worried i wont get a job, and have to drop out because of money which i totally dont want to do.

does anybody have any tips? money making, ways to save money whilst not really missing any of the social things uni has to offer? seriously, anything is appreciated because im so stressed out!!

thanks lovelies xxx
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ask them to income assess you; usually they non-income assess first, then income assess you later if you asked to be income assessed.

ReputationRep:
    you should get a bursary from your university as well if you come from a low income background and have you looked into scholarships you could apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Ask them to income assess you; usually they non-income assess first, then income assess you later if you asked to be income assessed.
    this is what i did, but they said they never received my evidence. so im now kinda at a loss, my mum is trying to find some of the other types they accept but its so awkward when i know we've sent it.

ReputationRep:
    OP, do not panick. How did you send your financial evidence? If by registered delivery, do you still have the receipts? If you do, submit a complaint to SLC, stating exactly that, and this should make them look for your evidence as little bit harder. If you do not have the receipt, complain anyway and tell them that, since you've sent the originals, it is a massive inconvenience to you now to obtain new evidence and etc. They should take notice of that. If they don't and you cannot find any other evidence that you couls submit, write to your MP, outlining your problems. He should be able to make enquiries on your behalf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    If it helps, I still haven't applied for student finance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation except they got my evidence and sent it back, but online it's not got me down for the income assessed grant. What do I do, I've been away for like 10 weeks and just got back a few days ago and logged in! My mum sent in all the evidence of her wage and everything and we got it back....

ReputationRep:
    thankyou everyone for your help, i have written to my MP (i do this all the time i have so many opinons :P ) & have contacted the post office for some proof its been sent. i just cant believe how they can mess up something so important! gah :/

ReputationRep:
    Ok they haven't sent my stuff back yet, the said 3 months wasn't enough time and to just leave them to it. Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)
    u've sent the originals, it is a massive inconvenience to you now to obtain new evidence and etc.
    For this reason, my mum gave me a photocopied version and my dad told me to photocopy his evidence before sending it off.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.