Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have only been abroad once in my life - feel left out Watch

When I used to go back to school after a long holiday, people always talked about their trips abroad, often to really exotic places. On Facebook, loads of people post their photos of their holidays abroad and it looks really exciting.

I feel left out because I never go abroad. Our family goes on holiday once a year, for a week, to a really rubbish place in Yorkshire or something. Often because of the weather, we have to leave early and get only 5 or 6 days away. Last year was the final time we went on holiday as a family.

I have only been abroad once in my life, to Greece, as part of a school trip. I get teased a lot for not going abroad, people ask me questions about it, and I have no proper answer I can give them. What should I do?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    How old are you? When you're old enough to get a job, you can go abroad as much or as little as you like.

ReputationRep:
    Teased for not going abroad? Are you privately educated, by chance?

i've never left this country. i know exactly how u feel

ReputationRep:
    Some people just don't seem to understand that not all parents are well off :/

ReputationRep:
    Is that all you have to moan about? lol. Be thankful you've been abroad once and go away with your family (even if its somewhere in this country) in the summer. If you're that desperate, pay for yourself.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd never been abroad until my first year of uni (ok, I went to Auschwitz for a day in 6th form, but that's not the same...), and I've now been to some places in Germany (Cologne :coma: and Aachen) and Paris, and am going to Rome in September. Wait until you have the freedom, then when you can, you'll love it.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh i'm the same. But who cares?! If people are gonna dislike you just because you don't go abroad then they have the problem not you.

I'm just wating to get some money, and then me and my best friend are going to go abroad as much as we can

ReputationRep:
    I've never been abroad. I plan to eventually however.

However, you'd be suprised how much of your own country you probably haven't seen. Explore a little, countryside, the big cities, the beaches...there's a lot more than Yorkshire lol.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, anon's a little excessive. It's not like you guys are owning up to feet fetishes or something.

If you haven't been abroad much/at all it's no big deal, like fille says when you're at uni/have a job you'll be able to travel. In fact, if you're really fussed you could save up and get a cheap flight somewhere now.

ReputationRep:
    surely this should go in travel? but has been put in here as more people come to H & R?

either way, i know plenty of people who haven't been abroad. 17 is nothing. I'd only been abroad twice before the age of 16 and since then i've been to 3 different continents (excluding europe) and i'm now 21, so its not the end of the world, you're still young and have plenty of time to see the world.

If people are teasing you over it, they need to get a life.

EDIT: Don't know where i got 17 from, sorry. My mistake (if you're not 17)

ReputationRep:
    I havent been abroad either, not even once, so your not as unlucky as me. I plan to when im older, with friends or boyfriend sure it will be better than going with family when younger, so yeah worse things happen in life

(Original post by sean kefw)
    surely this should go in travel? but has been put in here as more people come to H & R?

either way, i know plenty of people who haven't been abroad. 17 is nothing. I'd only been abroad twice before the age of 16 and since then i've been to 3 different continents (excluding europe) and i'm now 21, so its not the end of the world, you're still young and have plenty of time to see the world.

If people are teasing you over it, they need to get a life.

EDIT: Don't know where i got 17 from, sorry. My mistake (if you're not 17)
    I put it in H & R because I wanted to remain anonymous. I feel ashamed for not experiencing something (i.e. going abroad) that everyone has experienced I know.

Yes I am privately educated, to the question above.

ReputationRep:
    i personally think its a ridiculous reason to tease someone and im sure many people feel the same. Don't let someone who mocks you about not travelling abroad much get to you because its such a silly thing. Chances are your young, you have loads of time to travel. Save up the money, and go with some friends, family, or even by yourself, when and where you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I put it in H & R because I wanted to remain anonymous. I feel ashamed for not experiencing something (i.e. going abroad) that everyone has experienced I know.

Yes I am privately educated, to the question above.
    If it interests you Ryanair has a sale on atm. Flights for a penny each way. You could probably spend 3 nights in Berlin for about €100-125. If I was as fussed as you about it my bum would already be caressing the plane seat.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been abroad ever, it doesn't really bother me, I do feel like it's something I should do, but I've never been teased about it

(Original post by MancStudent098)
    If it interests you Ryanair has a sale on atm. Flights for a penny each way. You could probably spend 3 nights in Berlin for about €100-125. If I was as fussed as you about it my bum would already be caressing the plane seat.
    My family never want to go. Friends do more exciting things. I don't even have a girlfriend. I'm a failure at life.

ReputationRep:
    You've got years to go abroad. Save up and go travelling with your mates when you're older. You'll probably have a better time than being younger with your parents telling you what to do. I'm sure you get long summer holls and you can get well cheap Europe city breaks these days. Or if you want to do long tours, I recommend Kumuka, they're awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Do what I did to get some travelling experience - get a group of friends, buy a campervan between you and just drive.

Best way to see the world.

As someone whose life is based on "going abroad", trust me, it's no piece of cake and definitely overrated.

Unless you're going on a short picture perfect holiday, it's really not that big of a deal.

Coming from someone who's lived in the US (not long though), India and the UK.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.