Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My computer won't read my memory stick when I put it in a USB slot.

Normally, when the memory stick is entered, a pop-up box appears on my desktop asking me how i'd like to read the device.

Recently though, nothing happens. Even if I open up My Computer, the memory stick doesn't show up as a removable device.

Anybody have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Try another USB port.

ReputationRep:
    Try another USB port as it might be that your computer has had another device plugged into that slot and doesn't recognise the memory stick at the moment (this happens to me sometimes)....or you might have to download a driver for the memory stick off the internet.

ReputationRep:
    What's your operating system?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    restart your computer most of the time this enough to fix the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Are your other USB devices working?

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem before, and i lost everything

ReputationRep:
    I've tried all 8 USB ports on the computer and none of them seem to work. Restarting the computer doesn't seem to help either.

I've just tried the memory stick on my dad's computer and it works on there, so it must be an issue with my computer rather than the device itself.

I'm using Windows XP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    I've tried all 8 USB ports on the computer and none of them seem to work. Restarting the computer doesn't seem to help either.

I've just tried the memory stick on my dad's computer and it works on there, so it must be an issue with my computer rather than the device itself.

I'm using Windows XP.
    Hold Windows Key + Pause Break. Go to the Hardware tab, click device manager - does your USB stick come up in there as an uninstalled device? Should be there with a yellow question mark, under unknown devices or disk drives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawiz)
    Hold Windows Key + Pause Break. Go to the Hardware tab, click device manager - does your USB stick come up in there as an uninstalled device? Should be there with a yellow question mark, under unknown devices or disk drives.
    Yes, the device shows up under Disk drives as 'USB Flash Memory Device'

I've tried reinstalling the drivers and still no luck, how can I open the device?

ReputationRep:
    Right, hold Windows Key + Control + F. Click "Search this computer for files". Click "All Files and Folders". Click the "Look In:" Dropdown box, and right at the bottom click "Browse...". Navigate to "My Computer", "C:", and click "WINDOWS". Press OK. In the search box "All or part of the file name", type in "USBSTOR". Press Search. You should get a few results, you want the file "USBSTOR.SYS", in caps. Highlight the file, and do Control+C and paste it to your desktop. I cannot be 100% sure if you will find the one in caps, but you could try the one which is not in caps it should be about 26kb, and copy this file instead then paste it to desktop. Let me know if you get this far then I'll continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawiz)
    Right, hold Windows Key + Control + F. Click "Search this computer for files". Click "All Files and Folders". Click the "Look In:" Dropdown box, and right at the bottom click "Browse...". Navigate to "My Computer", "C:", and click "WINDOWS". Press OK. In the search box "All or part of the file name", type in "USBSTOR". Press Search. You should get a few results, you want the file "USBSTOR.SYS", in caps. Highlight the file, and do Control+C and paste it to your desktop. I cannot be 100% sure if you will find the one in caps, but you could try the one which is not in caps it should be about 26kb, and copy this file instead then paste it to desktop. Let me know if you get this far then I'll continue.
    Ok, done so far thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok, now right click on your memory stick in Device Manager (the unknown device), and click install driver (I'm not exactly sure on the wording), then when the wizards comes up, keep going until it asks you where you want to locate the driver. Click Advanced (I think), and it should let you find the driver on your hard drive. Browse to your desktop and select USBSTOR.sys. Continue the wizard, and it'll hopefully detect it once it's complete.

If that doesn't work, sorry I've tried :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawiz)
    Ok, now right click on your memory stick in Device Manager (the unknown device), and click install driver (I'm not exactly sure on the wording), then when the wizards comes up, keep going until it asks you where you want to locate the driver. Click Advanced (I think), and it should let you find the driver on your hard drive. Browse to your desktop and select USBSTOR.sys. Continue the wizard, and it'll hopefully detect it once it's complete.

If that doesn't work, sorry I've tried :|
    No such luck i'm afraid, it won't let me select the USBSTOR file on my desktop.

Thanks for trying though, +rep for you tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    No such luck i'm afraid, it won't let me select the USBSTOR file on my desktop.

Thanks for trying though, +rep for you tomorrow.
    Sorry, just realised you can't select individual files. Go into C://Windows. Create a folder in there called "drivers", if one already exists just paste USBSTOR into it. Then try that again, except select this new folder you just created.

Edit: if that fails, try just selecting "My Computer".

Double Edit: If that still doesn't work, navigate to C://Windows/system32/ReinstallBackups/009/DriverFiles and press OK.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.