Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my (undergrad) dissertation and that feeling of really wanting to be an academic has sprung up again. I am actually loving doing the research. My dilemma lies in whether I should go for the safer, career-led taught town planning masters degree or for the geography research one. I have several routes I could take to doing a PhD, but I want to know which, if any, would be best and if there would be better chance of funding with any of them.

Route 1: Do an MRes in human geography (self funding) and then attempt to get some funding for a PhD either in the UK or in USA/Canada.

Route 2: Compete for a bursary for a town planning masters and then work as a planner for a few years (as per the funding contract) and then try to get funding for a PhD either in the UK or in the USA/Canada.

Route 3: Self-fund a town planning masters and then do the above.

Route 4: A mix-and-match approach.

Before starting my dissertation I was pretty set on being a planner, but the researching has really interested me. I'm averaging a 2.1 just now, so I should graduate with one next year, and if I'm lucky I might manage to bump it up to a first, although I think I'd have to be really lucky! So it does cut my competitiveness somewhat not having a first. I can afford to self-fund a masters, but self-funding a PhD is a bit out of my reach, and will be for quite a few years.

I should probably say that my interests would come under the ESRC.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, what university are you currently at and were are you considering a masters?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.