Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So if anyone has already applied for Wessex and has a good feeling about getting in just write here. It's good to get to know each other even if via web a bit earlier

So feel free to drop me a msg here or seek me out on facebook.
    I've got an uncon offer and made Reading my firm choice in May, also made Wessex as my first hall choice so I'm confident I gonna make it to the hall.

Also was there last week checking out the hall, for me it's great :P the people who tell stories about some sort of funny smell, should seriosuly go again to the other halls even in the not so cheap student village the kitchen and corridors smell the same.
    But whatever you fancy the most.

ReputationRep:
    hey..ye reading is my firm choice and i recently got an email from reading to confirm that if i get the required grades that i will be living in wessex and that was my first choice so im happy

ReputationRep:
    Well if the exchanges rates for GBP are going to grow like now, that I might just not afford the hall... that sucks badly

ReputationRep:
    Nice to hear some peeps with a positive outlook on Wessex, maybe it does smell a little but having lived my whole life in a place renowned for being wiffy (the countryside: manure, pig slop etc.) it really doesn't make an ouch of difference. 'Sides, just means I need to cover up the stench by cooking loads of chocolate brownies in my swanky Wessex kitchen

If your worrying about the exchange rate does that mean your from foreign parts?

ReputationRep:
    follow the flag :P

well I confirmed the place, although it almost ruined me :P God Save the Sterling xD

ReputationRep:
    Have got a confirmed place to study Biology this year and have just sent off my deposit for Wessex, so I'm very very excited now! Although also skint, which is the downside...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Have got a confirmed place to study Biology this year and have just sent off my deposit for Wessex, so I'm very very excited now! Although also skint, which is the downside...

hey holly, i was just wondering how much the deposit for wessex was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitz_91)
    hey holly, i was just wondering how much the deposit for wessex was?
    £200, but it's totally refundable if you don't break anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    £200, but it's totally refundable if you don't break anything!
    This isn't quite true! When things are broken and the culprit isn't identified the costs will be split amongst your floor or the whole halls. Or if people are sick in the common areas etc etc... you shouldn't get too much taken off though!

ReputationRep:
    We got 52p deducted last year, cos of sick on the stairs.

If you're ever sick on the stairs, never own up. - im sure fellow students are willing to take the full brunt of 52p for you lol

ReputationRep:
    Damn, oh well, I suppose I can take a 52p loss over a year...

ReputationRep:
    Right, (i'm on the Wessex JCR) - this is the plan for freshers week Wessex people:

Sunday
    • Day: Moving in day
    • Evening: Welcome meeting in the main hall and white t-shirt welcome night in the bar.

Monday
    • Day: Journey to Reading town centre. We will walk you all down to Reading central for a Quick lunch and a couple town based challenges. Meeting in the Foyer at 1.30pm.
    • Evening: School boy’s and school girls night in Walkabout we will meet in Wessex bar at 8.00pm where we’ll play some games then leaving for town at 9.30pm.

Tuesday
    • Day: JCR lead tour of Reading campus, you will be able to get your access cards and enjoy the world famous Mojo’s lunch. Leaving Wessex at 1.30pm.
    • Evening: A quick round of pub golf will fill this evening, time to ditch your riff raff clothes, fix up, look sharp and go for the hole in one. Starting in Wessex bar and ending in Sakura.

Wednesday
    • Day: Fresher’s Fair from 9am - XX. At 5pm we will be playing Wessex’s traditional drinking rounders its fun for all the family so if you don’t drink feel free to get involved and if you do drink, a good meal is recommended prior to this event.
    • Evening: Wessex invades the union! Show your colours night organised by RUSU, colour to be announced shortly..

Thursday
    • Day: We’ll leave this day to you if you want any ideas for something to do feel free to come and find one of us.
    • Evening: Rave night in dogma, UV, Glowsticks the whole works - you know the drill.

Friday
    • Day: Detox day, time to relax we’ll have a picnic, run some films and recover.
    • Evening: Unwind in the bar with a pub quiz and a spot of bingo.

Saturday

• Day: Chill
    • Evening: Pirates vs Sailors! We will turn the ground floor into a grand galleon, there will be sea themed games and entertainment, a small cover charge of £3 will be on so we can really splash out!

This is going to be miiint. :woo: :eek3:

If you haven't already find Wessex Hall on Facebook and add us!

Any questions, don't hesitate...

ReputationRep:
    This looks AWESOME!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me, looking forward to it. How many of us are there gonna be in Wessex?

ReputationRep:
    Hah so I had a little vacation and the topic finally got some life

Yeach the JCR events are great.
    But waht about the International students that can arrive earlier?

Anyone from the hall wants to get in touch before Sept just msg me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cdash)
    Sounds good to me, looking forward to it. How many of us are there gonna be in Wessex?
    I think Wessex has just under 200 rooms, over 3 floors. Mostly freshers but some returning students on the third floor (like moi)

ReputationRep:
    Oh I well can't wait for freshers!
    Is it individual to halls then? Like each hall does their own thing?
    Or will there be stuff going on for all halls together?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Each hall does their own thing, but we don't book clubs out - so other halls will be there. Except for the first sunday, the wednesday and the friday. Which are all in Wessex.

You'll want to stick together with people from your halls though, it's all about getting to know people in your halls. And you dont HAVE to stick to this obviously, but everyone does so you would be stupid not too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seriouslyc)
    Each hall does their own thing, but we don't book clubs out - so other halls will be there. Except for the first sunday, the wednesday and the friday. Which are all in Wessex.

You'll want to stick together with people from your halls though, it's all about getting to know people in your halls. And you dont HAVE to stick to this obviously, but everyone does so you would be stupid not too!!
    Well it is kind of logical to stick with your hall ppl, as you gonna spend with them the rest of the year

ReputationRep:
    HELLLOOO!! I applied to Wessex Hall really late (due to me being the most disorganised person EVVERRR) so I'm a bit worried that all the places are filled up!! ARG! I wanna live in Wessex hall because thats where all the fun seemed to happen.....and also due to my lack of the ol' buck. LETS ALL SCROUNGE TOGETHERRRR and and burn stuff and and rave our asses off.....oh and work obviously :s.

Anyone studying English Lit, Film and Theatre?
    And is there anyone against valleys girls??? If so...why? We are nice mun! BAAA Sheep.

Dani should probably stop typing now. ooo add me on facebook people, just message me or something.

BYE BYEEEE!!! xx

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.