Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just curious really. If you've got to choose one or two electives, how do you do it? Do you go on interests, what would complement your main degree, what seems easiest, or just random?

I'll have to choose two electives when I start in October but am not really sure what to go for, or how I would. Obviously I'd need to take into account timetable constraints, but there's no harm in thinking ahead. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Remember to look into whether doing the electives would then allow you to transfer to joint honours at the end of first year. If you've got two to play with it could be worth picking them both from the same subject so that this is an option. Just in case you don't like your main subject as much as you thought.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at university, I chose electives that offered me some theory relating to my course, since my course itself was almost entirely practical.
    Other people chose modules directly related to the course (i.e. from the same subject area), and some people went for entirely different subjects altogether.

ReputationRep:
    I found people tended to look first at what was possible due to timetabling, then picked what sounded interesting to them :p:

ReputationRep:
    I chose the easiest sounding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatwhichiam)
    I found people tended to look first at what was possible due to timetabling, then picked what sounded interesting to them :p:
    That's what I did and one of my modules I wish I never lol

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    In my first year, I picked the ones that would give me the most options when it came to picking more later on in the course i.e. the pre-requisites. Now I have the choice to narrow it down a bit next year, I'm choosing mine based on my ideal career - teaching - so I'm studying TESOL and Second Language Learning

ReputationRep:
    Take all economic electives if you can - thats what I did and it worked out great in the end as I scored fairly high in all of the end.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.