58.67%
    They're OK
    13.33%
    I dislike them
    13.33%
    I've never heard their music
    14.67%

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed there are loads of Smiths fans on studentroom, the smiths being mentioned a lot, fake threads in Health and Relationships (I have seen two fake threads, "heaven knows I'm miserable now" and "Girlfriend in a coma", lol. I've seen avatars and pictures on TSR smiths/morrissey related, and even some who have names inspired by the smiths (a TSR user called "A dreaded sunny day" for example)

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge smiths fan myself, but I honestly didn't think the Smiths were that popular. For example at my school hardly anyone has heard of them. But on TSR, I'd even go to say perhaps they are the 3rd most popular band (or talked about band on TSR. Muse obviously being clearly at the top, followed by radiohead). The Smiths never really did that well commercially when they were around, hence I'm suprised by their popularity. I would have expected more famous older bands to be more popular on TSR, e.g. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Rolling stones etc.

Also on not such a relevant topic, why are so many people fans of the Smiths yet hate/or don't give a chance to Morrissey's solo work? It's actually pretty good, Viva hate (hugely underrated) actually being on par with the smiths albums. The depth of lyrics is incredible, suedhead, Everday is Sunday and Maudlin Street being better than 90% of The smiths stuff (in my opinion). I think overall yes Morrissey solo is worse than the Smiths, but Viva hate really isn't (it takes quite a few listens to get, kind of like Kid A I suppose).

What do you think?

The Smiths were a band that sounded different from the rest and also Morriseys lyrics were at times quite true to life, also he is pretty damn cool.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think in general that the Smiths/Morrissey are hugely popular with today's youth but they appeal to the type of person who uses TSR. Just like you see a high level of people with AAAA at A-level - it's not representative of the norm, it just shows the type of individual who uses this website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I don't think in general that the Smiths/Morrissey are hugely popular with today's youth but they appeal to the type of person who uses TSR. Just like you see a high level of people with AAAA at A-level - it's not representative of the norm, it just shows the type of individual who uses this website.
    Why would they appeal to the type of person who uses TSR? (what is the type of person that uses TSR?)

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because a lot of people on here are teenagers, and his music appeals to the whole angsty-attitude. That said, not all his fans are sad teenagers and not all sad teenagers are fans.

ReputationRep:
    Boring stuff if i'm to be honest. The guy has a bad voice. Good lyrics maybe but the vocals and music bore me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    I think it's because a lot of people on here are teenagers, and his music appeals to the whole angsty-attitude. That said, not all his fans are sad teenagers and not all sad teenagers are fans.
    Well I think there are plenty of bands that appeal to this angsty-attitude anyway. In fact the Smiths may be slightly less relevant to today's life as it's older music.
    I don't think the Smiths are for "sad teenagers". They're actually the only band that can make me laugh or smile (as a lot of their lyrics are quite funny). I think most people could relate to their lyrics to be honest and appreciate the band's sound.
    The only thing that I could say that's different about the smiths, is that they're a bit more realistic about life, associate more with people's lives.

ReputationRep:
    I've not noticed it that much, you say "the smiths" at school people will say something stupid like, "don't you mean will smith".

I once said "I really want to find some ryan adam's music, does anyone have any of hjis stuff on MP3"
    "er, you mean Bryan Adam's, who the hell is 'Ryan' Adam's, clearly there's not such singer, you're just confused and stupid"

*face palm*

A lot of social rejects go on TSR, I'm one of them, a lot of social rejects don't just listen to whatever is played in some ****** club where everyone trades salaiva and after one kiss has been introduced to 15 people's saliva, and probably don't randomly feel people up qwhen dancing (no offence to club go-ers who don'tdo that, but plenty seem to, although perhaps that's just because a lot of clubby people I know are in Sixth Form).

I'm guessing a lot of us have also got older siblings type people who have exposed us to the depressing sinister sounds of the smiths. But who can hand on heart say they don't enjoy singing along in a whiney fashion that still soudns beautiful, if only slightly cliched (excuse the spelling error I can't get all the keys on this keyboard).

That said I don't think there are millions of smiths lovers on TSR. A lot of people seem to be into awful things, if I ever meet a smiths fan who likes, panic at the disco, the kooks, james blunt etc. You will shortly afterwards see mebeing taken away by the police for murder or attempted murder.

edit: some of this might not make sense I'm using a very slow scomputer, after I type it takes about 5 minuts for me to see the words by which time I've written say a paragraph or so, I'm used to being able to go back and re-read what I've put stright away and correct it.
    Also it has no spell checker.

ReputationRep:
    Cos it's full of people who hate themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Cos it's full of people who hate themselves
    I guess radiohead and muse hate themselves too then lol as they're massive fans (both bands have done covers of smiths songs too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I guess radiohead and muse hate themselves too then lol as they're massive fans (both bands have done covers of smiths songs too).
    Muse's cover was really good. What did Radiohead cover?

I quite like the smiths btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Why would they appeal to the type of person who uses TSR? (what is the type of person that uses TSR?)
    People who use TSR usually arent too social.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Well, I for one am a huge Mozza fan and I realise that I belong in this category.

I think (as does Morrissey) that his music appeals to intellectuals, especially young intellectuals because his lyrics and the sentiment of his songs are often rebelious or self-reflective, a characteristic (generally) of teens.
    His music is a little more high-brow than the likes of Britney or whoever, which again resonates with young intellectuals.

Maybe not supporting my argument here but I think he appeals to a lot of working class intellectual teens because of his own roots (obviously not many of us on TSR) but again, there's a pattern.
    And we can associate with his feeling of frustation at being in a place you feel you don't belong.

Oh and another thing, vegetarianism has certainly caught the attention of alot of teens in this decade and Morrissey,as a vegetarian himself, has become a sort of 'cool' person to follow for a lot of teen veggies.

Just have a quick listen from 9:41 on this video and he explains a little of what I'm trying to express:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrnY3uuzJsY

ReputationRep:
    Muse's cover was really good. What did Radiohead cover?

I quite like the smiths btw.
    I hated the smiths cover of Please, Please, Please let me get what I want..(I thought it was truly awful, sorry! I'm not a big fan of muse though, as in all honesty I think their lyrics are awful,and their music is nothing special).

Headmaster ritual:

Very good cover in my opinion. Not better than the original of course, but very good.

I think the muse cover is awful personally (I actually think it's revolting):

But then again, I think The Smiths are perhaps radiohead's biggest influence while for muse I don't think they are (hence I would have expected radiohead to do a better cover).

ReputationRep:
    But don't forget the songs that made you cry, and the songs that saved your life. Yes you're older now, and you're a clever swine, but they were the only ones who ever stood by you.

^ That's why.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh wicked version!

ps/ Muse would rape and smash the smiths in music wars. Two very different bands so whatever. Like comparing Daft Punk and Rachmaninov.

ReputationRep:
    (1) They have a cult following
    (2) They are 'cool' to be fans of

ReputationRep:
    that was not a good cover at all, Thom Yorke can be so amazing but that was, well, ****.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh wicked version!

ps/ Muse would rape and smash the smiths in music wars. Two very different bands so whatever. Like comparing Daft Punk and Rachmaninov.
    Don't know what you mean by music wars.

Well the Smiths are an influence on Muse, so they're not that different (they can be compared I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    (1) They have a cult following
    (2) They are 'cool' to be fans of
    oh definetly, :rofl: "I'm so cool, I listen to the smiths:yep: ", :rofl:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.