58.67%
    They're OK
    13.33%
    I dislike them
    13.33%
    I've never heard their music
    14.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    that was not a good cover at all, Thom Yorke can be so amazing but that was, well, ****.
    It's a hard song to cover. That's why I suspect they were using 3 guitars to try and get the sound out of marr playing on one guitar.
    It was a very hard smiths song to cover. They could have chosen an easier one, but I still think it was a very good attempt.
    Tough Yorke's yodelling is poor, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I just like morrissey's voice, and the music of him and the smiths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    But don't forget the songs that made you cry, and the songs that saved your life. Yes you're older now, and you're a clever swine, but they were the only ones who ever stood by you.

^ That's why.
    Can't see any video, is it me or have you posted it wrong? (It's rubber ring isn't it?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Don't know what you mean by music wars.

Well the Smiths are an influence on Muse, so they're not that different (they can be compared I think).
    Hmmm. I think a band with distorted guitars and bass who created a very spacey sound are very different from quite a tight, light, ringing sound that The Smiths created.
    Muse are about the drama... it's almost operatic. Bombastic. It's full of energy.
    The Smiths are more contemplative and considered. Radiohead are a better comparison.

The Smiths are probably the best band lyrically, ever. Apart from S Club who touch so many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Can't see any video, is it me or have you posted it wrong? (It's rubber ring isn't it?)
    I didn't post a video. The video is not my reason.

ReputationRep:
    sorry!

ReputationRep:
    eh up, 9 warning points, watch yourself.

Don't want you getting banned :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Hmmm. I think a band with distorted guitars and bass who created a very spacey sound are very different from quite a tight, light, ringing sound that The Smiths created.
    Muse are about the drama... it's almost operatic. Bombastic. It's full of energy.
    The Smiths are more contemplative and considered. Radiohead are a better comparison.

The Smiths are probably the best band lyrically, ever. Apart from S Club who touch so many people.
    so which one out of smiths, muse, radiohead do you prefer out of curiosity.

Personally I think some of the sound with the guitar sounds similar to the bends and OK computer stuff of radiohead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)

eh up, 3 warning points, watch yourself.

Don't want you getting banned :naughty:[/

ReputationRep:

I know.

Two points for swearing, two for posting the warning comment, and five for posting the second warning comment :facepalm2:

Still, I think it makes me look 'ard :grr:

ReputationRep:
    I know.

Two points for swearing, two for posting the warning comment, and five for posting the second warning comment :facepalm2:

Still, I think it makes me look 'ard :grr:
    :laugh:

rebel :bandit:

Like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    so which one out of smiths, muse, radiohead do you prefer out of curiosity.

Personally I think some of the sound with the guitar sounds similar to the bends and OK computer stuff of radiohead.
    MUSE
    Radiohead
    The Smiths

But Ive listened to the top two far more than TS. I used to prefer radiohead.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:

rebel :bandit:

Like it.
    :shock: I just realised I'm in your sig. I feel famous :fan:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    MUSE
    Radiohead
    The Smiths

But Ive listened to the top two far more than TS. I used to prefer radiohead.
    Muse are ok in my opinion. Part of the trouble with them is I don't see anything special, vocals, lyrics or music. Radiohead are more innovative and make better albums. The thing that irritates me about muse, is they're is no meaning (or deep meaning) behind the lyrics. For example I find the Knights of Cydonia lyrics a bit silly (you and I must fight to surive...."lol ). I also think their music isn't very layered. Also I think Muse often sounds overblown, which annoys me slightly.

The smiths for me beats both of the others hands down, but you've probably guessed that I prefer the smiths out of those three.

Why do you prefer radiohead to muse out of curiosity? I've heard of a lot of people who listen to muse and then switch to radiohead (and start liking radiohead more) but not the other way.

And how much of the smiths have you listen to? Have you listened to the morrissey solo stuff too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge smiths fan myself, but I honestly didn't think the Smiths were that popular.
    They are pretty damn popular, especially amongst a student demographic so it makes sense that they are talked about more on a student forum than by Average Joe on the street. I still think that anyone who has a remote interest in music will have at least heard of The Smiths and that can't be said of that many bands from that era. Not as it's a particularly accurate estimate of general worldwide popularity but The Smiths have nearly 40 million plays on last.fm which puts them comfortably above most other artists. I think that indicates how popular they are amongst a certain group of people. I think you're vastly underestimating how well-known they are, especially in certain parts of the country to people of a certain age...

ReputationRep:
    :shock: I just realised I'm in your sig. I feel famous :fan:
    :flutter: a nod to your awesomeness :hat2:

'there's too much love' seems to think I'm spamming, so don't quote me :shh:

ReputationRep:
    :flutter: a nod to your awesomeness :hat2:

'there's too much love' seems to think I'm spamming, so don't quote me :shh:
    Okay.

ReputationRep:
    Okay.
    Now I'm going to get another ranty email telling me I should set a good example :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    PS. Muse don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Radiohead or The Smiths. There is nothing exceptional about their music apart from it being exceptionally pompous (and not in a good way).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Muse are ok in my opinion. Part of the trouble with them is I don't see anything special, vocals, lyrics or music. Radiohead is more innovative and make better albums. The thing that irritates me about muse, is they're is no meaning (or deep meaning) behind the lyrics. For example I find the Knights of Cydonia lyrics a bit silly (you and I must fight to surive...."lol ). I also think their music isn't very layered. Also I think Muse often sounds overblown, which annoys me slightly.

The smiths for me beats both of the others hands down, but you've probably guessed that I prefer the smiths out of those three.

Why do you prefer radiohead to muse out of curiosity? I've heard of a lot of people who listen to muse and then switch to radiohead (and start liking radiohead more) but not the other way.

And how much of the smiths have you listen to? Have you listened to the morrissey solo stuff too?
    I think good music comes from how congruent the artist is to the music they are creating. This is why good covers are few and far between. Music isn't about the notes. Not really. It's about the expression. Anyone who has played a classical instrument will understand this. A piece played with feeling, with emotion, will sound completely different to one played technically well but without character. It is the former we look for.
    This is also why plastic pop doesn't work (I actually think Britney Spears is fantastic because she's congruent with most of her material: in Lucky when she sings "She's so Lucky...she's a star... but why do these tears come at night?" I believe her, and she sang it so well because it was true... to the outside it almost seems prophetic!).

Radiohead and The Smiths are great because they are congruent. Radiohead really did despise the rise in technology so it's easy to buy into their songs. Sure OKC is layered and is technically impressive. Songs like Black Star have very tight mirroring of music and lyrics. And these things make you fall in love with them. But music can be simple and blow your mind, so it's not key. There's nothing special going on in Fake Plastic Trees or Please, Please, Please.

Muse are nuts. Matt Bellamy believes in secret moon bases and aliens. They dont need to be deep. Just congruent. Their music from Space Dementia to Knights of Cydonia is eccentric. It's nuts. But that's who they are so it works. A bit like Queen. The two are very similar. Music doesnt need to be tight social commentary. If it is, great. Sonically good and congruent.

All these bands are both these things.

Edit; Ive listened to the 2 disc greatest hits my aunt got me for my bday.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.