They're OK
    13.33%
    I dislike them
    13.33%
    I've never heard their music
    14.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Now I'm going to get another ranty email telling me I should set a good example :sigh:
    I'm sorry :puppyeyes: As if you're capable of setting a good example anyway :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    PS. Muse don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Radiohead or The Smiths. There is nothing exceptional about their music apart from it being exceptionally pompous (and not in a good way).
    I agree with that. I don't think they're an awful band though (the smiths have inspired countless of awful bands, and whiny singers who don't have an ounce of the talent muse have)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    I'm sorry :puppyeyes: As if you're capable of setting a good example anyway :dry:
    What are you suggesting? :dry:

I'm innocent :angel: Spamming? me? :eek: never :no:

I set a good example for my fellow tsr members :cool:

:joyman: :joyman: :joyman: :joyman:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I agree with that. I don't think they're an awful band though (the smiths have inspired countless of awful bands, and whiny singers who don't have an ounce of the talent muse have)
    No, they're not an awful band or awful musicians by any stretch but recently, more than ever in the beginning, they toss off overly-theatrical, pseudo-intellectual music and try and pass it off as a fresh and exciting approach. Thus it makes for a wholly unrewarding, middle-of-the-road listening experience. How anyone could listen to "Starlight" from start to finish is beyond me...

ReputationRep:
    They are pretty damn popular, especially amongst a student demographic so it makes sense that they are talked about more on a student forum than by Average Joe on the street. I still think that anyone who has a remote interest in music will have at least heard of The Smiths and that can't be said of that many bands from that era. Not as it's a particularly accurate estimate of general worldwide popularity but The Smiths have nearly 40 million plays on last.fm which puts them comfortably above most other artists. I think that indicates how popular they are amongst a certain group of people. I think you're vastly underestimating how well-known they are, especially in certain parts of the country to people of a certain age...
    I know they're known by a lot of people, but not nearly on the same scale as the beatles or other bands today. the smiths have a huge cult following and because of the large number of b-sides that are actually very good (in fact a lot of them are better than the stuff on the albums and singles released), it's easier to listen to it on last fm. Smiths fans are perhaps some of the most obsessive fans there are, hence I'm not really suprised by those statistics.

Plus, I would have thought that a lot of the listners would be people who were students at the time when the smiths came out. The smiths were very popular with students at that time. But nowadays, you hardly hear a smiths song on the radio on see them on tv, and they're not really talked about or well known as Led Zeppelin and the beatles. Part of that reason is because one they didn't last long enough and they never really made it big in America.

Plus youtube has removed most of the smiths videos. Hence last fm is really the only place people can listen to the smiths

ReputationRep:
    Actually, read this, it's quite funny
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by there's too much love)
    eh up, 9 warning points, watch yourself.
    usful, nice and off topic, brilliant "ps helper skills".

Keep it on topic yo! I'm sure they're aware of how many warnings they have.
    piss off.
    keep it the **** on topic, if I posted that I'd expect to have my post deleted. But I'm sure telling me to piss off really helps the situation.How so very positive of you, I'm so glad you pm'd me back with such a productive message, thank you so much, you've really improved not only the forum but also, my netire life, and you've made me smile, Next time I make a lovely useless off topic post on a topic, I'll be sure to think of you and follow your God like example.
    **** off.
    You've clearly made a very well thought out reply there. I admire your intellect, it's truely amazing, with all this great advice you're giving me I'm really feeling my life is working out so much better for me.
    Please, offer me more advice oh wise one .

ReputationRep:
    Lol why have I never seen this happening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I know they're known by a lot of people, but not nearly on the same scale as the beatles or other bands today. the smiths have a huge cult following and because of the large number of b-sides that are actually very good (in fact a lot of them are better than the stuff on the albums and singles released), it's easier to listen to it on last fm. Smiths fans are perhaps some of the most obsessive fans there are, hence I'm not really suprised by those statistics.

Plus, I would have thought that a lot of the listners would be people who were students at the time when the smiths came out. The smiths were very popular with students at that time. But nowadays, you hardly hear a smiths song on the radio on see them on tv, and they're not really talked about or well known as Led Zeppelin and the beatles. Part of that reason is because one they didn't last long enough and they never really made it big in America.

Plus youtube has removed most of the smiths videos. Hence last fm is really the only place people can listen to the smiths
    spotify seems to have some of their stuff on.

ReputationRep:
    PS. Muse don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Radiohead or The Smiths. There is nothing exceptional about their music apart from it being exceptionally pompous (and not in a good way).
    Muse are much better than Radiohead and The Smiths. End of. And i can't say i'm Muse's biggest fan.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ahahahaha :ahee:

eh up, though, 3 warning points and spamming, watch yourself.

ReputationRep:
    ahahahaha :ahee:

eh up, though, 3 warning points and spamming, watch yourself.
    People follow my 'god like example' :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    I think good music comes from how congruent the artist is to the music they are creating. This is why good covers are few and far between. Music isn't about the notes. Not really. It's about the expression. Anyone who has played a classical instrument will understand this. A piece played with feeling, with emotion, will sound completely different to one played technically well but without character. It is the former we look for.
    This is also why plastic pop doesn't work (I actually think Britney Spears is fantastic because she's congruent with most of her material: in Lucky when she sings "She's so Lucky...she's a star... but why do these tears come at night?" I believe her, and she sang it so well because it was true... to the outside it almost seems prophetic!).

Radiohead and The Smiths are great because they are congruent. Radiohead really did despise the rise in technology so it's easy to buy into their songs. Sure OKC is layered and is technically impressive. Songs like Black Star have very tight mirroring of music and lyrics. And these things make you fall in love with them. But music can be simple and blow your mind, so it's not key. There's nothing special going on in Fake Plastic Trees or Please, Please, Please.

Muse are nuts. Matt Bellamy believes in secret moon bases and aliens. They dont need to be deep. Just congruent. Their music from Space Dementia to Knights of Cydonia is eccentric. It's nuts. But that's who they are so it works. A bit like Queen. The two are very similar. Music doesnt need to be tight social commentary. If it is, great. Sonically good and congruent.

All these bands are both these things.

Edit; Ive listened to the 2 disc greatest hits my aunt got me for my bday.
    I'm in a state of shock that you said Britney spears is fantastic but oh well.

Greatest hits isn't the best way to appreciate the smiths. The smiths touch you emotionally as you listen to the whole album. I'd start with the album "the Smiths" or "queen is Dead". You're not going to get the same feeling and emotions with a greatest hits album.

The only greatest hits I would ever recommend to anyone of any band is The Best of REM, 1988-. That really is a good collection of tracks and well put together (in terms of order). Actually saying that, REM are a really popular band but hardly talked about on studentroom. Strange, as I'd think most muse and radiohead fans would like REM.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Thank you for that, you're attempt at publically humilating me is oh so very kind of you.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No, they're not an awful band or awful musicians by any stretch but recently, more than ever in the beginning, they toss off overly-theatrical, pseudo-intellectual music and try and pass it off as a fresh and exciting approach. Thus it makes for a wholly unrewarding, middle-of-the-road listening experience. How anyone could listen to "Starlight" from start to finish is beyond me...
    They dont pass it off as fresh. Read my last post in here. It's congruent. They are nuts and bombastic and not at all intellectual. And that's the music they create. They are showmen... like queen. They're a completely different type of band to The Smiths. It's like comparing the cake to eggs. You need the eggs for the cake but they are two completely different things.

ReputationRep:
    spotify seems to have some of their stuff on.
    deezer is a good place to listen to them too.
    Still youtube still was easier for most people to get hold off. Plus some of them were videos of mimed performances on top of the pops (e.g. headmaster ritual which I can't find now )

I think they had to mime on Top of the pops, so morrissey kind of made fun of it.
    This is an example:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I'm in a state of shock that you said Britney spears is fantastic but oh well.

Greatest hits isn't the best way to appreciate the smiths. The smiths touch you emotionally as you listen to the whole album. I'd start with the album "the Smiths" or "queen is Dead". You're not going to get the same feeling and emotions with a greatest hits album.

The only greatest hits I would ever recommend to anyone of any band is The Best of REM, 1988-. That really is a good collection of tracks and well put together (in terms of order). Actually saying that, REM are a really popular band but hardly talked about on studentroom. Strange, as I'd think most muse and radiohead fans would like REM.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I actually think REM are very thin behind the greatest hits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)

If you're comparing anyone to The Beatles then they're going to look "unpopular". My point is that compared to a large percentage of bands they're massively well-known, especially amongst people of a certain age, which is why they're so talked about on here. If they ever reformed, they'd be able to command a headline spot at any rock/alternative festival in the world. If that isn't popular, I don't know what is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Muse are much better than Radiohead and The Smiths. End of. And i can't say i'm Muse's biggest fan.
    yes but you already said you hated the smiths, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Meh

ReputationRep:
    People follow my 'god like example' :proud:
    Oh yeah, I'm like ":adore:" :awesome:

You should have told him he'd spelt "truly" wrong. You know I would've. Though perhaps that would be too low a blow to be worthy of your godly status :sad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.