They're OK
    13.33%
    I dislike them
    13.33%
    I've never heard their music
    14.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Thanks for the recommendations. I actually think REM are very thin behind the greatest hits.
    The best of rem album isn't better than the actual albums themselves, but it's a good introduction. It's quite hard to start at the beginning and try and work you're way through all the albums they've released. I think it's a good starting point, as It's quite hard to initially get into REM. Personally I found murmur hard to get into (it's my favourite album). I think the best of albums kind of encourages you to listen to a full albums (and keep listening to it, until you finally get it).

ReputationRep:
    No one is commenting on morrissey's solo stuff (and viva hate)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    yes but you already said you hated the smiths, lol.
    Yes but the fanaticism of all 3, including Muse annoys me greatly. I can see though how people can become obsessive about Muse. Some of the tracks in Absolution are nothing short of genius and Stockholm Syndrome and Fury are 2 songs which entice me into the track and i feel emotive and involved with the music from it. Not many tracks have done that to me ever, so that's a pretty good feat for any band to be able to do! It's funny, it's uplifting at the time but after a session of listening to Muse I tend to feel a tad depressed. The Beatles are the the perfect medicine for that anyhow. That band beat Radiohead, Muse and The Smiths 100 times over. People worship those 3 bands and simply Radiohead and The Smiths especially don't deserve it, The Smiths are poor, and Radiohead are average, and all have a depression of listening to which makes sense for the person who said it's the depressive sad type who come on here as those 3 bands are so popular on here. I wish people would look at better music though because there certainly is and most music out there is not depressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    Oh yeah, I'm like ":adore:" :awesome:

You should have told him he'd spelt "truly" wrong. You know I would've. Though perhaps that would be too low a blow to be worthy of your godly status :sad:
    He's made a number of spelling mistakes, but I'm no spelling nazi :hand:

Just a 'god' :proud:

I thought '**** off' described my feelings quite adequately though. :o:

And I'm off, :ciao: Don't get banned :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    The best of rem album isn't better than the actual albums themselves, but it's a good introduction. It's quite hard to start at the beginning and try and work you're way through all the albums they've released. I think it's a good starting point, as It's quite hard to initially get into REM. Personally I found murmur hard to get into (it's my favourite album). I think the best of albums kind of encourages you to listen to a full albums (and keep listening to it, until you finally get it).
    Oh. i had that with radiohead. I found Kid A impenetrable. I disgarded it for 3 years and then picked it up again when I was stoned and loved it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Yes but the fanaticism of all 3, including Muse annoys me greatly. I can see though how people can become obsessive about Muse. Some of the tracks in Absolution are nothing short of genius and Stockholm Syndrome and Fury are 2 songs which entice me into the track and i feel emotive and involved with the music from it. Not many tracks have done that to me ever, so that's a pretty good feat for any band to be able to do! It's funny, it's uplifting at the time but after a session of listening to Muse I tend to feel a tad depressed. The Beatles are the the perfect medicine for that anyhow. That band beat Radiohead, Muse and The Smiths 100 times over. People worship those 3 bands and simply Radiohead and The Smiths especially don't deserve it, The Smiths are poor, and Radiohead are average, and all have a depression of listening to which makes sense for the person who said it's the depressive sad type who come on here as those 3 bands are so popular on here. I wish people would look at better music though because there certainly is and most music out there is not depressive.
    what bands would you suggest apart from the beatles then?

ReputationRep:
    Oh. i had that with radiohead. I found Kid A impenetrable. I disgarded it for 3 years and then picked it up again when I was stoned and loved it.
    you don't need to be stoned to like Kid A (though I don't think you're alone in how you came to love kid A lol).
    I learnt to love Kid A pretty quick actually (about 2 times listening through). A friend of mine said he had to listen to it about 20 times to get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    what bands would you suggest apart from the beatles then?
    Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Queen, AC/DC, Rush to name a few All far more talented than Radiohead.

ReputationRep:
    AC/DC? They knew how to write a riff but they don't come close to depth and variety Radiohead display in their music.

They dont pass it off as fresh. Read my last post in here. It's congruent. They are nuts and bombastic and not at all intellectual. And that's the music they create. They are showmen... like queen. They're a completely different type of band to The Smiths. It's like comparing the cake to eggs. You need the eggs for the cake but they are two completely different things.
    I wasn't comparing them to The Smiths in any way. I merely said they didn't deserve to be held in the same esteem Radiohead and The Smiths are.

The reason I dislike Muse is simple - I don't enjoy listening to them now. When Origin of Symmetry first came out, I loved it. I still like it now, to a point but that may be due, in part, to familiarity. Their material mostly sounds robotic, mechanical (a quality which I find admirable in certain bands such as Battles). Mostly, it's that I lack any sort of connection with their music when I listen to it. It provokes no emotion other than tedium. I find their style repetitive, unoriginal and after a short while just irritating.

ReputationRep:
    It's cool to like some bands like The Smiths, Libertines, Radiohead, etc. So people normally go out of their way to try and like them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)

I'm much too clever to get banned :haughty:

**** off is good.

ReputationRep:
    Muse are much better than Radiohead and The Smiths. End of. And i can't say i'm Muse's biggest fan.
    Great argument, you've got me convinced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    It's cool to like some bands like The Smiths, Libertines, Radiohead, etc. So people normally go out of their way to try and like them.
    Libertines. There's a fantastic band. Modern day Clash. Surprisingly thoughtful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Great argument, you've got me convinced.
    Cheers, i have posted other stuff too you know in this post

ReputationRep:
    Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Queen, AC/DC, Rush to name a few All far more talented than Radiohead.
    yes but those are the bands that I expect most of TSR to like, not the smiths. I'm not a fan of particularly led Zeppelin or AD/DC.

Radiohead is a good band, on a musical level they're just as good as those bands, and perhaps in lyrics too. I like a lot of older bands better than radiohead, e.g. talking heads, the smiths, Joy division etc. but not those bands. I still don't think any of those bands have released an album that is better/rivals than OK computer or Kid A (not including Pink Floyd, I think that and perhaps the who are the odd ones out in those bands you suggested).

I don't mind if a band is depressing (let's face it, Joy division produced probably the most depressing music there is). I don't think radiohead and smiths are depressing. As I've said, the smiths are actually quite funny sometimes. Yes I can feel sad to some of the songs listening to them, but they don't make me depressed. Often the best music is from those who are depressed anyway (no I don't like Nirvana, before anyone says it).

Oh yes and I utterly loath AC/DC too. sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Libertines. There's a fantastic band. Modern day Clash. Surprisingly thoughtful.
    I don't think they're a modern day clash. I think they're actually a mix of the Smiths and clash, but a bit simpler.

I'm not a fan of the libertines, but I am of Pete Doherty's songwriting skills. His voice is good too. But he hasn't yet produced anything that could match the clash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    yes but those are the bands that I expect most of TSR to like, not the smiths. I'm not a fan of particularly led Zeppelin or AD/DC.

Radiohead is a good band, on a musical level they're just as good as those bands, and perhaps in lyrics too. I like a lot of older bands better than radiohead, e.g. talking heads, the smiths, Joy division etc. but not those bands. I still don't think any of those bands have released an album that is better/rivals than OK computer or Kid A (not including Pink Floyd, I think that and perhaps the who are the odd ones out in those bands you suggested).

I don't mind if a band is depressing (let's face it, Joy division produced probably the most depressing music there is). I don't think radiohead and smiths are depressing. As I've said, the smiths are actually quite funny sometimes. Yes I can feel sad to some of the songs listening to them, but they don't make me depressed. Often the best music is from those who are depressed anyway (no I don't like Nirvana, before anyone says it).

Oh yes and I utterly loath AC/DC too. sorry!
    Oh that's another one i dislike, Joy Division, see i don't see what is so special about so much of this 'depressing music'. I mean why depress yourself listening to stuff? Music is for enjoyment purposes!

I can see how people dislike AC/DC. They have killer riffs but lyrically are possibly one of the worst ever :p: Not the best example i gave, but for their influence and their killer riffs i thought i would post them up! Led Zeppelin are amazing, such a broad range of stuff they've done, i'm surprised if many people dislike them as it's great stuff! And Nirvana are another one i loathe

But you think OK Computer is hardly challenged, how? I've listened to it, it's just damn depressing. Talent behind Yorke's awful wailing but it's not that good from what i could see.

ReputationRep:
    How do you measure talent? From a subjective point of view or by compositional prowess? If you're referring to the latter then Radiohead way exceed most of those bands, musically and lyrically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I agree with radiohead and libertines, but what's so cool about the smiths. Morrissey isn't really famed for his "coolness".

I mean with his shirt open and flowers that he's stuck up his ass. No I don't think he looks that cool....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    you don't need to be stoned to like Kid A (though I don't think you're alone in how you came to love kid A lol).
    I learnt to love Kid A pretty quick actually (about 2 times listening through). A friend of mine said he had to listen to it about 20 times to get it.

Kid A was my first radiohead album, I really liked it, although I was a bit freaked out by it I have to admit. What's your favourite album by them? for me it's hail to the theif, but most people seem to prefer ok computer.

not so on topic:
    (Original post by reems23)

As already stated This computer lets you type things, but you won't see them on the screen for a long time, so it looks blank and you ahve to wait for it to load. The browser does not have a spell checker, and if you must know I have dyslexia, so my spelling might not be great.

None of that is relevant to your off topic discussion.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.