They're OK
    13.33%
    I dislike them
    13.33%
    I've never heard their music
    14.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Oh that's another one i dislike, Joy Division, see i don't see what is so special about so much of this 'depressing music'. I mean why depress yourself listening to stuff? Music is for enjoyment purposes!

I can see how people dislike AC/DC. They have killer riffs but lyrically are possibly one of the worst ever :p: Not the best example i gave, but for their influence and their killer riffs i thought i would post them up! Led Zeppelin are amazing, such a broad range of stuff they've done, i'm surprised if many people dislike them as it's great stuff! And Nirvana are another one i loathe

But you think OK Computer is hardly challenged, how? I've listened to it, it's just damn depressing. Talent behind Yorke's awful wailing but it's not that good from what i could see.
    You have to listen to radiohead lots of times to get it. Perhaps you haven't got it yet. In fact OK computer isn't really depressing at all (kid A might be, but that takes ages to get).

Led zeppelin are far better than AD/DC but again in terms of lyrics they're not that great. Also as someone might have said (perhaps in different words), radiohead is more experimental with their sounds. having said that, Robert Plant's vocals are among the best I've heard and Jimmy Page one of the best guitarist. But that doesn't make them the best band in the world, or mean they make the best songs.
    Joy division's band members weren't that musically talented in terms of playing their instruments well. None of them could pull off a complicated riff like Led zeppelin could. But they had good ideas, the playing of the instruments complimented the singer well. The singer (ian curtis) although didn't have the best voice (in fact for the first few times you listen to him, you might not be able to make out the words he's saying, sings in a unique way and in a very powerful, emotional way (as well as the song lyrics being very good). Joy division for all it's faults, produced music that really touched people and was very powerful. Hence I'd rank Joy division over Led zeppelin any day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    You have to listen to radiohead lots of times to get it. Perhaps you haven't got it yet. In fact OK computer isn't really depressing at all (kid A might be, but that takes ages to get).
    What about 'How to dissapead completely'?:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I've seen avatars and pictures on TSR smiths/morrissey related, and even some who have names inspired by the smiths (a TSR user called "A dreaded sunny day" for example)

Yay I was mentioned in the OPs post!
    I feel so honoured:yep:

I don't really know why there are so many fans of the smiths, so I can't tell you why. Perhaps there is a resurgence in popularity during these troubled times?

I agree viva hate is very underrated. It's a fantastic album. Pity people don't realise that.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A dreaded sunny day)
    Yay I was mentioned in the OPs post!
    I feel so honoured:yep:

I don't really know why there are so many fans of the smiths, so I can't tell you why. Perhaps there is a resurgence in popularity during these troubled times?

I agree viva hate is very underrated. It's a fantastic album. Pity people don't realise that.:yep:
    lol, you're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    What about 'How to dissapead completely'?:p:
    Most depressing song I've heard, apart from anything by Joy division and Asleep by the smiths.

And it's on Kid A!

ReputationRep:
    Guilty as charged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I don't think they're a modern day clash. I think they're actually a mix of the Smiths and clash, but a bit simpler.

I'm not a fan of the libertines, but I am of Pete Doherty's songwriting skills. His voice is good too. But he hasn't yet produced anything that could match the clash.
    Doherty and Barat's songwriting is infused with what it means to live in London with a government out of touch.
    Welcome to The Clash.

That's their similarity. The Clash have a very different (and broader) sound..

ReputationRep:
    Who

ReputationRep:
    PS: TQID changed my life. It really did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    I'm much too clever to get banned :haughty:
    Don't doubt it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Don't doubt it at all.
    I'm a bit tempted to do something interesting and ban-worthy tbh, TSR is just not doing it for me tonight :bored:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit tempted to do something interesting and ban-worthy tbh, TSR is just not doing it for me tonight :bored:
    The box not all that tonight? :sigh: I got that...

Don't get banned :hmmm: I won't have anyone to irritate with my smilies :joyman:

Do something else, American Beauty? :daydreaming:

Though if you're gonna do it, do it spectacularly. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    There is something wrong with your poll OP, there appears to be no "love" option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    The box not all that tonight? :sigh: I got that...

Don't get banned :hmmm: I won't have anyone to irritate with my smilies :joyman:

Do something else, American Beauty? :daydreaming:

Though if you're gonna do it, do it spectacularly. :pierre:
    American Beauty is :coma:

Even jayman drama is lacking that special something tonight :no:

Something really spectacular would probably result in a slightly more permanent ban though. I might try and get an alert, I've never had one of them before :idea2:

ReputationRep:
    American Beauty is :coma:

Even jayman drama is lacking that special something tonight :no:

Something really spectacular would probably result in a slightly more permanent ban though. I might try and get an alert, I've never had one of them before :idea2:
    hm hm hm.

Boredom, hm.

I got an alert.

hm hm hm.

I'm going to go sit in the garden and do some drawin'.

night .

hmm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a huge Smiths fan though I've never met a single person who enjoys their music, except on TSR.

Most of my mates are into whatever cheesy pop tune Fern and Reggie happen to play. Shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    There is something wrong with your poll OP, there appears to be no "love" option.
    Just click like. There's no point of overcomplicating the poll. though everyone who clicked like is probably loves the smiths anyway.

Anyway, the poll is just supposed to back up my point. I mean do over 50% of students these days really like the Smiths? I doubt it. Hence the poll illustrates there are more smiths fans on TSR than representative of most teenagers.

Having said that, a lot of people who don't like the smiths probably won't bother to vote, and most smiths fans will click on this thread making the poll invalid. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Most depressing song I've heard, apart from anything by Joy division and Asleep by the smiths.

And it's on Kid A!
    It is, which is why I said it doesn't take ages to get...
    ...unless there's something about it I don't get .

ReputationRep:
    Long live Mozza.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    It is, which is why I said it doesn't take ages to get...
    ...unless there's something about it I don't get .
    Well it takes ages to get the whole album. Besides liking one track doesn't mean you will like the whole album. In fact the most accessible tracks are idioteque and Optimistic anyway in my opinion.

Also once you finally get the album, it's a wonderful feeling. Often after you come to the end of the album, you get this strange feeling at the end (i.e. you're overwhelmed with amazement). lol, perhaps not as strong as that, but listening to the album does certainly leave a distinct impression on you for a little while after listening to it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.