They're OK
    13.33%
    I dislike them
    13.33%
    I've never heard their music
    14.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Well it takes ages to get the whole album. Besides liking one track doesn't mean you will like the whole album. In fact the most accessible tracks are idioteque and Optimistic anyway in my opinion.

Also once you finally get the album, it's a wonderful feeling. Often after you come to the end of the album, you get this strange feeling at the end (i.e. you're overwhelmed with amazement). lol, perhaps not as strong as that, but listening to the album does certainly leave a distinct impression on you for a little while after listening to it.
    Oh I see what you mean, I was thinking of individual songs more than the album as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought that The Smiths were one of the best singles bands, that happened to make alright albums as well. I enjoy listening to them but a lot of the songs sound pretty similar, so I usually stick to compilations. Morrissey solo has had his moments, Viva Hate is ok, and Everyday is like Sunday is as good as anything The Smiths did, but I don't think he'll do anything else worthwhile, the album from this year, Years of Refusal, is absolutely dreadful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rue the whirl)
    I've always thought that The Smiths were one of the best singles bands, that happened to make alright albums as well. I enjoy listening to them but a lot of the songs sound pretty similar, so I usually stick to compilations. Morrissey solo has had his moments, Viva Hate is ok, and Everyday is like Sunday is as good as anything The Smiths did, but I don't think he'll do anything else worthwhile, the album from this year, Years of Refusal, is absolutely dreadful.
    They make pretty good albums to be honest. The Queen is Dead is a very good album. It's definitely better listening to the whole album than compilations. In fact most of the singles released weren't the best songs. There's a lot of b-sides that you'll find on Louder than Bombs which is better than most of the other stuff the smiths have done.

I didn't much like years of Refusal either. Should have stuck to the style of Viva Hate, but I think he wanted to distance himself from the smiths which is a shame.

ReputationRep:
    What else do you expect from an internet forum for reasonably intelligent young people? happy hardcore?

ReputationRep:
    Hardcore is for gays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    What else do you expect from an internet forum for reasonably intelligent young people? happy hardcore?
    oh please 50% of the people here are complete idiots (the other 50% are just semi-idiots, I consider myself in the latter half:p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Just click like. There's no point of overcomplicating the poll. though everyone who clicked like is probably loves the smiths anyway.

Anyway, the poll is just supposed to back up my point. I mean do over 50% of students these days really like the Smiths? I doubt it. Hence the poll illustrates there are more smiths fans on TSR than representative of most teenagers.

Having said that, a lot of people who don't like the smiths probably won't bother to vote, and most smiths fans will click on this thread making the poll invalid. Oh well.
    Lol. Overthinking this ehh :awesome:

It's just the kind of demographic who uses TSR is more likely to like the Smiths for various reasons, they can relate to his lyrics, they're the kind of people who listen to indie, etc. If teenage Morrissey had the internet he would have probably been a TSR regular.

Plus the Smiths are pretty popular to start with, their albums regularly sold 600,000 copies when they were together. [I think. I read this years ago.]

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.