Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite a shy person and really wish I was confident / outgoing. I'm also not the best looking person in the world. Bascially, I have a tendency to be jealous (not overtly) towards any of my male friends or people at my course or halls at uni who are either confident/outgoing or good-looking or both. I try not to feel this way but I just can't help it. I know I sound very bitter and twisted but I'm not. I really don't want to feel like this but I do.

What can I do to stop this.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    grow some balls.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be confident, then be confident. It will be hard at first but just try to talk to more people and act more confidently and over time you will become more confident. Looks are neither here nor there - some of the most confident and attractive people are not necessarily the best looking.

ReputationRep:
    Grow to like yourself. Accept your faults. And find yourself things to be good at. Just try to be happy for your friends instead, and yourself =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screwyouguysimgoinghome)
    grow some balls.
    Thanks that's such a great help. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock 'n' Roll)
    I'm quite a shy person and really wish I was confident / outgoing. I'm also not the best looking person in the world. Bascially, I have a tendency to be jealous (not overtly) towards any of my male friends or people at my course or halls at uni who are either confident/outgoing or good-looking or both. I try not to feel this way but I just can't help it. I know I sound very bitter and twisted but I'm not. I really don't want to feel like this but I do.

Lol, sorry. But no, seriously. If there was one thing I could change about myself it would be how confident / outgoing I am too. I'm fairly temperamental and my confidence is faked some of the time. I sometimes get pretty down about it but it's best to just not dwell on it and accept that you don't have that inherent element to your personality. Besides, shy people are often more sensitive and empathetic and therefore serve as better friends.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel but you can't let yourself get bogged down with this attitude, as there will always be other people in the world who you believe are better looking and more out-going than yourself, so what's the point in being jealous?

Being shy doesn't stop you from enjoying your life, making the most of any experiences which come your way and educating yourself to become a unique and interesting individual. Develop passions and research anything you're interested in, and bang there's your conversation starters

ReputationRep:
    Just smile and make eye contact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFJ)
    Just smile and make eye contact.

I try to but it jsut doesn't work.

ReputationRep:

be proud of your own strengths.

and confidence comes from self-acceptance, and not caring what others think about you.

ReputationRep:
    Some people do find shyness very attractive. Just get out there and interact with lots of people. Make sure you have plenty to do.

If you really want to get more confident, throw yourself in at the deep end. This may sound daunting but I also had confidence issues. Taking Drama at GCSE and A Level really helped improve my confidence - maybe if you join your Drama society at your uni this might help you?

Finally, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even if you believe you are unattractive, there will be some who will find you attractive.

Be proud of who you are. You are an individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daveywavey)

Finally, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even if you believe you are unattractive, there will be some who will find you attractive.
    are an individual.

No mate, honestly, I make The Hunchback of Notre Dame look like David Beckham!! I'm no oil painting, believe me. I'm sometimes even afraid to walk down the street or even look in the mirror!!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks so far. anymore suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    bump!!

ReputationRep:

Are you jealous because they score with the gals and you don't? Just tag along with these "super confident and good looking" pals of yours because hey you could get to know some nice ladies through them.

ReputationRep:
    Smile , and look confident , smiling shows you're confident. Don't be jealous either , you are who you are , so be happy with it

take care MV

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.