Turn on thread page Beta

The End of an Era - A Level Students (2007-2009) watch

ReputationRep:
    Now that we've all finished our A Level exams (and are waiting for our results in a few weeks), I just wanted to know how everybody found them in general.

• Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?
    • What was your hardest subject?
    • What was your easiest subject?
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects?
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.

EDIT: And of course ASers can post in here too and answer the questions that they deem relevant.

ReputationRep:
    That is a lot of questions but a great idea for a thread so I'm posting this to remind me to come back when I have the time

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? Harder
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? NO
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? NO!!!!!!!!!
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? AS
    • What was your hardest subject? Physics
    • What was your easiest subject? Maths
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? Yes
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? No
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? NO
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? No
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. I hated them, worst years of my life so far.

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?

Harder.

No.

• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?

Yes.

AS

History

Business

Yep. e.g. Economics

History but I couldn't as due to some IT course I could only do 3 AS' anyway

• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?

Er guess so.

• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?

Hopefully.

I've failed.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you one thing - I wish I could go into a time machine and change my alevel choices.
    They were difficult mainly because I had crap exam technique and only realised after the AS modules that learning mark schemes does greatly help.

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? Pretty much what I expected...
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? More so
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? Far more supportive-almost all my teachers were excellent
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? A2-more challenging and, usually, more interesting
    • What was your hardest subject? Hmm....probably History
    • What was your easiest subject? English Language
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? Nope. I sometimes wish I'd picked Philosophy though...but I'm happy with what I chose
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? Nope
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? Yep
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? Pretty much...
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. These past two years have been absolutely amazing

cheers

GJ

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? SOME WERE HARDER, OTHERS AS I EXPECTED
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? THEY WERE OK. FOR SOME, E.G. CROMWELL, I JUST COMPLETELY LOST INTEREST HALF WAY THROUGH YEAR 13
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? THEY WERE MORE SUPPORTIVE
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? AS - SO MUCH EASIER
    • What was your hardest subject? FURTHER MATHS
    • What was your easiest subject? MATHS
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? BIOLOGY/GEOGRAPHY/POLITICS
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? NOPE
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? NO. A2 WAS A BIT OF A NIGHTMARE IN TERMS OF TIME MANAGEMENT
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? CAN'T REALLY SAY UNTIL YOU'VE ACTUALLY GONE TO UNI/GOT A JOB
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. I HATE EXAMS

ReputationRep:
    i found a2 much better than as, first year i did all my work last minute, second year did it all the minute i got it.
    I'd learnt from my mistakes in the first year.
    Also found the A2 exam easier than AS as i understood the the subject and had a greater understanding of what the examiners were looking for,
    and i think i did ok

ReputationRep:
    i picked my a-level options in year 10 becuase my school decided to make everyone do them a year early but i've still done 3 a-levels and 2 AS's

harder, but not alot harder i expected pretty nasty stuff, especially from physics
    yeah i'd say they were enjoyable, but i picked subjects i loved
    more
    i didn't really see a change in modules they just were more challenging, but drama i liked the A2 better than the AS
    physics
    there wasn't really an easy one but i think i have the best result in either maths or drama
    i get 3 years to spread out my A levels because i've done them early so no, i've picked up more of the ones i wanted to take, like geography
    no
    yeah i had a pretty good balance between work and play :p:
    2010 uni i feel prepared

ReputationRep:
    Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
    Harder
    Yes
    Not really
    A2
    History
    English Lit.
    Nope
    Psychology, I really didn't like it
    Indeed Maybe too much of a social life ;D
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    erghh GCSE's didn't even prepare me for A levels ahh....anyways when i finish washing the dishes i'll reply back to all those questions

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? Easier
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? More so
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? More so
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? A2
    • What was your hardest subject? S4
    • What was your easiest subject? Phsyics
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? Bio AS as well
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? No
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? Yes
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? Uni yes, employment no.
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. Best years so far.

ReputationRep:
    Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? I thought they'd be harder. I never dreamed of getting what i got at AS
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? Yup I enjoyed all my subjects
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? My teachers at A-level were far more supportive. That's because I moved school and the school I went to before was just bad.
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? A2 war far more interesting as most of the things discussed are still prevalent in todays world
    • What was your hardest subject? History
    • What was your easiest subject? Economics
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? Yes Politics at AS Level.
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? Nope
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? Nope I had to sacrifice a lot. I've lost contact with most of my old friends now who are either not going to uni or going to really **** ones.
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? No not at all.
    No but you made me sacrifice a lot. And I don't care what anybody says but it requires a lot of hard work

ReputationRep:
    a bit harder
    not really
    no
    A2
    English
    Film Studies
    No
    no
    no
    no
    I'd forgotten about them till now, like at GCSE time, my life is all change, so I've kinda put my A-Levels behind me already. I do think they went ok though, good enough to meet my uni offer and thats what matters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Now that we've all finished our A Level exams (and are waiting for our results in a few weeks), I just wanted to know how everybody found them in general.

Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
    Maths has been easier, Physics harder, French as expected, Business Studies gay

Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?
    Maths more, Physics about the same, French about the same, Business Studies gay

Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
    Probably better, I have definitely been able to speak to them like a friend, rather than a teacher.

Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?
    Can't really answer that, still AS

What was your hardest subject?
    So far, Physics.

What was your easiest subject?
    Maths, although B.S is a load of B.S, so as long as you B.S throughout your exam you'll probs do great.

Do you wish you picked other subjects?
    Sometimes wish that I picked Further Maths earlier, but hey, I'm doing it next year so no complaints.

Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?
    Again, can't really answer that, but B.S is already dropped. It's the right decision.

Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
    Ha, social life. LOLZ

Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
    Well, for 2010, I should be.

Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
    Just gotta wait 'till the 20th.

EDIT: And of course ASers can post in here too and answer the questions that they deem relevant.[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a mega long post.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bored so as an ASer whose started some A2 work...

Easier at the moment, but I can tell they're about to get harder, just from the work we've been given over the summer

Very much so - I love them so much I'm keeping them all on lol

Very - more so in fact, I'm glad I went to college

So far, A2 in most subjects

English Literature but I think that has something to do with one particular teacher

Law

Kinda wish I'd have done economics for some reason - but I already do five, and I'm happy with the five I've done

Ask me again next year around exam time

So far yes, but I'm missing out a bit this summer because I'm going away quite a bit and the rest of the time is spent getting ready for next year and uni applications

Hopefully will be by 2010
    I wish results were here!

ReputationRep:
    The same as I thought.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    AS modules.
    Biology
    English literature (wasn't really easy though).
    No.
    No.
    No to staying on top of work, yes to social life.
    I hope so!
    I am glad they are over.

ReputationRep:
    Loving the sheer epicness (is that a word?) of the thread title!

• Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? I kind of expected it to be hard really.

• Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? Nope. Although I find the lessons are always awful and boring, but when I get to sit in an exam I think 'actually I quite like this subject' (unless I'm failing heh).

• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? More supportive than GCSE, shocking really because I did my GCSEs in a respected grammar and moved to a less academically reputable college for my Alevels. So anyone reading this who might be choosing to go to sixth form over college purely because they think they'll definitely do better/get more support - consider your options more carefully, because this isn't necessarily true!

• Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? Generally A2, just because you have to get more 'stuck in' with the coursework and the synoptic papers

• What was your hardest subject? Personally, I found sociology difficult. Mostly because it bored me to near-death, and I can't learn stuff I have absolutely no interest in.

• What was your easiest subject? English Language, as long as you have a wide vocabulary and can pick up the jargon you're sorted.

• Do you wish you picked other subjects? Yup, wish I'd done English Literature instead of Sociology, and Classic Civ. at AS

• Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? I dropped Graphics, but I wish I'd been able to drop sociology! unfortunately graphics was too dire and time consuming for this to be possible

• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? I had plenty of time to stay on top, I just didn't use it appropriately -.-

• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? Yeah I do, especially since I chose college over all girls sixth form - I can't imagine what it would be like preparing for uni and still being as retarded around boys as I was at the beginning of college lol.

Just because you enjoy a subject doesn't mean you're immune from failing that subject
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    FYI: I did Music Tech at AS, and Maths, Further Maths, Psychology and French (and General Studies) at A2.

The Maths A-levels and French were a lot easier than I thought they would be. Music Tech was a doss but had a heavy workload, and was very badly taught at my school. Psychology, on the other hand, was very well taught but was extremely difficult in terms of workload; the Psychology exams were stressful because you had to fit a lot of writing (and information) into a short amount of time.

Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?
    More so, I think.

Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
    The school I did my GCSEs at was quite rubbish and the teaching wasn't very good, so overall I'd say yes. I got lots of support from my French and Psychology teachers, and I would have had support from my Maths teachers if I'd asked for it. As I said before, Music Tech was rubbish in every respect.

Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?
    I preferred A2 French, because we learnt about stuff that actually matters as opposed to the usual rubbish like health, the environment and suchlike at AS. I preferred AS Psychology because the workload was less and the topics were (to me) more interesting. Maths just got better as it got harder, and it's a really weird feeling when you've done FP3 (FMaths A2) looking back at C1 (Maths AS) and being able to practically do it all in your head, despite having struggled originally.

What was your hardest subject?
    Psychology

What was your easiest subject?
    Maths

Do you wish you picked other subjects?
    I would have liked to have done Physics, and in fact I tried to switch 6 weeks into Year 12, but they wouldn't let me because they didn't think I could catch up on 6 weeks of work. I then went on to self-teach A2 Maths :mad:

Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?
    Nope.

Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
    Yes; I found that if I allocated a certain amount of time to have a healthy social life, put some time aside for rest and then worked my ass off in the rest of my time, it worked quite well.

Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
    I'd like to think so, but I'll find out when I get there.

Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
    Not really, except that the difficulty is totally worth it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.