Turn on thread page Beta

The End of an Era - A Level Students (2007-2009) watch

ReputationRep:
    ASer

Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
    Pretty much as hard as I thought...well, I knew they would be hard, but I had some pretty massive ''I hate *insert subject* moments''.
    Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?
    So far they're okay, I haven't changed schools for them after GCSEs so I didn't have any changes with friends etc.
    Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
    Probably more supportive than with GCSE, yeah, since classes are so much smaller (My largest was 6, which even now has dropped to 4 for A2)
    Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 module?
    Some of the French/German modules I thought were interesting since they were actual issues that I was learning about for the first time.
    What was your hardest subject?
    Greek ?<- Darn you :confused:
    What was your easiest subject?
    French
    Do you wish you picked other subjects?
    Nope, although, I sort of miss English Lit....but maybe not its constant essays.
    Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
    Thiink I managed to balance pretty well, on top of school I had 4 hobbies outside of school plus friends/going out. I was probably a bit lazy at some points, but to be honest, who isn't?
    Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
    Yep , quite looking forward to uni actually.

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
    I was expecting them to be hard, but I struggled with them.

• Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?
    I thought Psychology would be fun ... it wasn't! I originally picked Law, but quickly switched to English Lit, and I'm glad I did.

• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
    I'm not really sure. I mean, English was great fun, but the teachers are more like people you'd have a drink or a book club with, not really serious teaching.

• Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?
    All of English Lit was fun (well, apart from Death of a Salesman ...) and Psychology was mostly boring, with the occasional fun bit. Computing was just cramming the information in and struggling to figure out how to program without any assistance ...

• What was your hardest subject?
    Hmm ... Psychology was hard because it was boring and I couldn't get interested, but English was hard because I found it hard to remember quotes - but I was lucky enough that the questions where the quotes I had learnt could be used came up.

• What was your easiest subject?
    Computing - the stuff was fairly easy to remember, and while Programming was a pain in the ass, it got done early (AS coursework)/on time (A2 coursework).

• Do you wish you picked other subjects?
    I originally picked Law, and it would have been slightly easier to just pick English Lit from the start (would have saved me the trouble of transferring, and of joining a new class. Luckily my friends were in the new class though).

• Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?
    I dropped maths, but I wish I had dropped psychology.

• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
    I don't have much of a social life anyway XD Work was never very important to me, so it got done at the last minute.

• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
    Intellectually - yes. Socially - possibly.

• Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
    School/The system SUCKS.

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? harder, i don't think gcse's really prepare you for a-level imo
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?•pretty much so

Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?NO!
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? A2 modules
    • What was your hardest subject? biology
    • What was your easiest subject?psychology
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? probably media and geography
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?nope
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? 50/50 really lool
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? yeah,like to think so
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. well im praying i got the results i wanted

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? Yes
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? Yes, except chemistry that was just a lot of learning.
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? More so, they were always willing to help
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? AS
    • What was your hardest subject? Chemistry, probably because I didn't enjoy it
    • What was your easiest subject? Maths
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? No
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? Further MAths
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? Most of the time except around exams
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? Hell yes.
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. Can't wait for results.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry AS; Maths Geography, Biology and General Studies A2

• Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?

Chemistry was harder. The rest were as expected.

Certainly not, but that was mainly due to the fact that I generally had a pretty awful time at 6th form.

• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
    Some were very supportive and some were moderately supportive. All seemed to care to an extent.

A2 mostly.

Chemistry, so I dropped it after AS. Of my A2 subjects Biology was the hardest, and Maths was okay apart from M1.

Definitely Geography (if you exclude General Studies).

No.

No.

• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
    I did little work and didn't have much of a social life.. moving to a new school for 6th form completely changed me.

• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
    Currently no. I'm retaking the A levels which I will inevitably fail this year at a different place in September.

I'm going to write these past 2 years off and start afresh. I havn't done myself proud.

ReputationRep:
    I remember thinking they would be mental. They were bad, but not toooo bad

I didn't think they would be enjoyable. In hindsight I enjoyed joking around in classes, not the actual course content.

I was blessed with very supportive teachers thankfully, unlike some of my friends

AS's were a joke in hindsight. A2's were a whole new story

Toss up between Further Maths (FP2 and M3 specifically) due to insane content, and Design and Tech for not knowing what the hell we were supposed to do!

Physics. I actually lold in a few exams

No, my subjects were perfect for what I wanted to do (Mech. Eng)

Design and Tech. The A2 was retarded

My social life was non-existent. Purely my fault.

Intelectually, perhaps. Socially, definetly not

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Design and Tech - best combo for Mechanical Engineering at Uni. DONT DO MORE DESIGN AND TECH THAN AS. IT REALLY ISNT WORTH THE EFFORT. I put 70 bloomin' hours making the project and probably another that much writing the report, and I didnt get nearly the grade I expected. Physics I just had a knack for, so I rarely needed to do work. Maths was relatively easy, but the Further modules...it felt as if I was getting slowly raped with a stick, especially FP2 (I had a good teacher for, but the other students in the class were REALLY distracting), and M3 (which I learnt on my own because the teacher was incompetant).

What they say about time management is CRUCIAL. You really have to plan your day, otherwise you end up like me sacrificing social time to finish work due to procrastination. I really regret doing that.

ReputationRep:
    Maths was a lot harder than expected. Such a damn misleadingly easy GCSE
    The subjects I thought Ild enjoy the most, I liked the least!
    I had one awesome teacher, but the rest were brainboxes but absolutely inept at talking or explaining anything...
    No preference
    Maths. I loved it all my life but lost enthuasism for it at A-level, making it seem much harder.
    Philosophy
    definitely should have picked Politics/English Language
    I wish I dropped two of my subjects. But thats because I only liked Philosophy!
    Im not going to lie... so no; I cant multitask. And I procrastinate
    Nope! Thats why Im unsure what to do now...=(
    Waste of my time. I wasnt ready for them

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? Physics was a notable step up form GCSE and slightly unexpected
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? I didn't expect them to be enjoyable so yes.
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? I noticed that they were a lot more dead on than GCSE. Smaller class sizes allow you to ask more questions as well
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?Probably A2...
    • What was your hardest subject?Physics or Further Maths
    • What was your easiest subject?Maths by a long shot
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects?No
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?No
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?Not really no, technology and design coursework dragged on a bit
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?No idea
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.Exam boards in particular AQA should get their act together with mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    Economics - easier than I thought
    Everything else was the same difficulty as I thought it would be.

Some topics were dull, others were interesting.

Supportive in the first term of Year 12, not supportive after that. They were too supportive at GCSE when I didn't need it, cos GCSEs were easy.

AS modules were easier, so I found them more fun. A2 modules were more relevant.

Further Maths

Economics

Biology perhaps. No real regrets regarding subject choices.

No.

Stayed on top of everything, until the end of Year 13, when I lost almost all motivation.

Definitely not.

I owned them. Nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily harder, just demanded more time.

Not Biology or Chemistry. History and RS, yes.

More so.

A2

Chemistry.

General Studies!

Yes. I hated Chemistry and Biology. Wish I'd done English Lit and Psychology instead.

Wish I'd dropped both Biology and Chemistry.

It was harder at AS than A2. Then again I wasn't very committed at AS.

Yes.

Glad they're over. Gonna miss being at Sixth Form around friends though.

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? MUCH Harder
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? I really enjoyed ICT (Social Side, Not so course) and I suppose the others weren't too bad!
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? Absolutly, I got much more help than I received at GCSE Level
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? AS I suppose
    • What was your hardest subject? Business Studies
    • What was your easiest subject? Media Studies
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? I'm pretty glad I chose what I did!
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? Pretty glad I dropped Business Studies & General Studies so no regrets here
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? Yeah i'm definitly glad how much work I put in and although my social life suffered, its now great again !!
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? I do hope so although my grades will probably tell a different story
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. I really hope I did better than I think I did... I put in so much effort but found the exams so hard, it will be really disappointing if I got below a D

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I suppose. Knew bio would be harder

Psychology was. And Geog was better then I thought it be (gd teacher). i also found env sci interesting... I guess I'm a 8D lol

Better then GCSEs tbh. Went to a better college. Loved it.

AS was the foundation... but parts were good. A2 felt easier. But I would put them on the same level.

Dear God, Biology was tricky, can't imagine it at all, and is the words in it! :eek:

Environmental Science... but I had a brill teacher and excellent notes off her... :yep:

History And the teacher is now studying for a phD haha

Nope.

Well I suppose... but insomnia got in the way more

Def came out of my shell and into myself at college. The best time of my life so far... I've learnt sooo much and met so many new ppl!

Hate coursework with a vengence... how come the new lot don't have to do it...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earl Nuce)
    Not necessarily harder, just demanded more time.

Not Biology or Chemistry. History and RS, yes.

More so.

A2

Chemistry.

General Studies!

Yes. I hated Chemistry and Biology. Wish I'd done English Lit and Psychology instead.

Wish I'd dropped both Biology and Chemistry.

It was harder at AS than A2. Then again I wasn't very committed at AS.

Yes.

Glad they're over. Gonna miss being at Sixth Form around friends though.
    Psychology is amazing! :woo: Crazy to take Chemistry though... :eek3: I agree with Biology as well :eek:

ReputationRep:
    About the same as I'd expected them to be

Two of them were more enjoyable, two were less

More supportive

A2

English Language

Media

Yes, I wish I'd taken Gov and Politics instead of Media

No

Generally yes

Socially yes... Intellectually, I hope so!

I'm glad I picked subjects without a lot of coursework!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My A levels generally went ok. Had a lot of fun at 6th form.
    Sociology was the easiest, maths was hardest, i am so glad i dropped it after failing it at AS level.
    Did wish i had taken law at one point but was happy with the subjects i took.
    Got a lot of support from teachers, more than gcse. It was a big jump from gcse to a level in some subjects though.

ReputationRep:
    More or less what I expected, really.

The workload definitely wasn't, but the subjects themselves were.

More so, for definite.

A2, AS is too much about introducing you to the basics of the subject, like research methods or something.

Out of Psych, Lit and Law, I think they were all hard in their own way.

Could'nt say

Maybe Maths or Biology would have done me good. I don't think I would have done so well if I'd taken them, though.

No. I think I was right to have dropped Sociology. It wasn't as interesting as I thought it'd be, and the second year syllabus looked hideous.

I should have had more of a social life. Even then it was hard to keep on top of revison...

I think so, but ask me again in a year.

Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
    I'm glad the stress is over, but I really enjoyed it otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Only just finished AS's but i really wanted to do this so ya.

• Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? So far slightly harder, but not much, nothing major that i didn't expect.
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? To some extent ya
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? Yes much more
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? Only done AS =[
    • What was your hardest subject? Chemistry my hardest AS
    • What was your easiest subject? ICT easiest AS, nearly no work put it and did well on my coursework pretty much 100% sure i came out of the exam and will get an A in my AS ICT.
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? Yes i wanted to do Maths for economics at uni
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? not sure

ReputationRep:
    Guess I have to answer these too! :p:

Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
    Biology was probably a bit easier, as was Maths. Chemistry and Physics were probably a bit harder than I expected.

Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?
    Physics was actually quite fun to learn, it’s just that the exams were crazy hard which made me not like it. Chemistry AS was annoying, A2 was interesting, but tough. With Biology it depended on the module - some modules were very interesting, others were as dull as listening to the speeches at my schools prize-giving day, if not worse! Maths was fun, especially M2 and C4. M1 was boring and hard so no real incentive to like it!

Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
    I think I'm the only one that’s going to say this but I think my teachers at GCSE were more supportive. Well they were supportive to the guys like me who worked hard, and as there weren't many of us, I tended to prefer the teaching there. Moved to a selective grammar for sixth form. Teachers were ok, some were better than others, but on the whole they were ok. So much more self studying which I found hard to begin with. Having said that, the Heads of Departments tended to be the more supportive teachers in my experience.

Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?
    AS modules were easier, but A2 was more enjoyable to learn as they seemed more relevant.

What was your hardest subject?
    Physics - the Edexcel course was probably what made me hate it even more.

What was your easiest subject?
    A toss between Biology and Maths; got the same total UMS at AS for both of these subjects, and after Jan modules in Yr13, I needed the exact same marks in both of them to get an A overall. So really can't decide between the two.

Do you wish you picked other subjects?
    Probably Geog because I heard about how easy it was at AS. Or maybe psychology because I did it at GCSE and loved it.

Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?
    Should have dropped Physics at AS and picked up Further Maths AS in Yr13.

Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
    Just about. Although between Sept-Feb of Yr13, I thought I was going to die; so much to do with UCAS, BMAT exam, UKCAT exam, Interview Preparation, stress of getting a medical school offer and Jan Modules. That period was actually quite hectic.

Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
    Socially I think so. Intellectually, I'd like to think so.

Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
    Good fun (at times). Stressful at times. Have managed to make some AMAZING mates at 6th Form though. Wouldn't say they were the best two years of my life considering Yr13 was far too stressful, but Yr12 was a very very enjoyable year. So many memories from school and I'm really going to miss some guys when we all go our separate ways for uni in Sept.

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? 5 Alevles are NOT easier then 11 GCSEs!
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? A few subjects, namely Eng Lang and Law were
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? Yes
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?A2, you had the basics sorted so you could start learning, and you had uni to push you on
    • What was your hardest subject?Either Chemsitry or Maths
    • What was your easiest subject?Eng Lang
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects?Good, sweet, resurected (sp) Jesus, yes
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?I thought I did, but A2 Chemistry sounds like a mofo
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?Just about :P
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?Pretty much, freshers will help put the final things in place
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.They are not getting easier!!

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? Some were harder, some easier. They definitely weren't such a steep learning curve as I expected though.

Probably more so

Yes, most were lovely and much more supportive than at GCSE with the smaller class sizes and all.

A2 definitely.

Sociology by a long chalk.

English Lit or Politics. Eng lit was more work, definitely.
    Nope.
    Nope.

Yes, not that I really wanted much :p:

I hope so :erm:

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.