Turn on thread page Beta

The End of an Era - A Level Students (2007-2009) watch

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?

Overall, yes.

• Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?

Not a chance in hell; if I could go back and never even start Economics I would be very happy! :p:

• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?

I like precisely two of my teachers; though they were still better than at GCSE. Ho hum.

• Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?

A2 -- if it hadn't got at least slightly more difficult for A2s in Computing I may have gone insane. :woo:

• What was your hardest subject?

Maths. (dropped after AS, though I did just pass it with an E)

• What was your easiest subject?

Computing; almost boring in its simplicity, even if I did totally screw up the CPT6 coursework.

• Do you wish you picked other subjects?

I wish I hadn't taken Maths and Economics at AS; I wish I had taken up Sociology and Psychology to start with (took Sociology for AS this year).

• Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?

Nope.

• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?

As much of a social life as I wanted, yes. Very much so -- even if others would see it as very little! Keep on top of my work? Mostly. I think. *prays for results day*

• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?

Intellectually, yes. Socially, no. Dreading independent living, even if the idea of moving out of my house is very appealing.

• Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.

Thank **** they're over.

ReputationRep:
    Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
    i'm not really sure what i expected to be honest! The revision though was way more than I could have imagined and the sheer about of information you had to learn compared to GCSE was immense :eek:

Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be?
    the past 2 years have been my most enjoyable school years. i've largely enjoyed my subjects, and although lessons could sometimes be dull, i enjoyed what we were learning about.

Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?
    i had some absolutely amazing teachers. they were prepared to give up their own time to ensure we felt comfortable with our subjects. they never gave up on us, and were always there when we needed them.

Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?
    i prefered different modules in certain subjects from each year. I think I probably prefered A2 overall, though some of the AS modules I really did enjoy. A2 is more stimulating, but I found there was much MUCH more to learn.

What was your hardest subject?
    In terms of revision quanitity, psychology was a nightmare! I couldn;t believe how much I actually had to know when it came down to revision (though at AS I'd found revision for it pretty simple! A2 was a completely different story!). History I found hardest for getting to terms with the necessary technique for writing a decent essay. And philsophy was a bit of a pain as our etacher didn't do anything, so I self taught myself all the course.

What was your easiest subject?
    Ethics was by far my easiest and most enjoyable subject! I think this largely came down to my teacher. She was absolutely fantastic, and made sure we were doign activites throughout the year that drummed the information in. We also had all our revision materials sorted by the time we came to revise because of these activities. If you make revision sources throughpout the year, you'll save yourself so much time, and you'll also remember more

Do you wish you picked other subjects?
    I kinda wish I'd taken art. I really enjoyed it, and I do miss it.

Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?
    In hindsight, I'd have perhaps continued English onto A2 instead of Psychology. All my subjects had masses to revise for, and it put so much pressure and strain on me.

Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
    I had a better social life than I did at AS (probably due to the fact I could drive). I also had a job dring my A2 year. I managed to keep on top of work, mainly by using my free periods to the best of my advantage. They are key to keeping on top of work! Don't waste them.

Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
    I'm hoping so! Though I guess I won't know till I'll get there.

Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
    I'd always recommended taking them. They are a great opporutnity to make yourself more employable and open up more opportunities for the future. I always really enjoyed my 2 years studying for them and the social life I had with it.

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?
    Easier, I was expecting something increadibly beefy!
    I feel quite unsatisfied really.
    Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?I noticed my teachers were a lot more inept than GCSE. But I think at GCSE I wasn't that aware of the teacher's ability to teach.
    Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules?
    AS so far
    What was your hardest subject?
    German - very intensive especially around exam time!
    What was your easiest subject?
    English language - a lot of the theories and concepts were easy to grasp, was just a case of analysing and applying what you know and what you have learned to explain your analysis.
    Sort of, instead of English Language I would have chosen Psychology or Philosophy.
    Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't?
    Nope, keeping them all on! I like them all so much.
    Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?
    My social life did suffer. Happens for most people I'm afraid, some people don't have to work that much for the best grades meaning they go out more. I'm one of those that have to put quite a bit of work in. But it's definately meant I've had to cancel some days out with my friends and making excuses so I could do my homework or revise (which I would use as an excuse as it sounds a bit sad!)
    Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?
    Yes! I feel like GCSE kept me in a box intellectually and the way you were taught felt like "you have to learn this, thats it". But A-level seems to stress how your chosen subject really has no boundaries and you can definately research things outside the classroom at your own leisure!
    Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general.
    Buy a revision guide for the spec your doing and the course and definately read over some of it, if anythig looks particularly frightening at least try to understand something in there even if it doesn't make much sense at the time. I did this with Chemistry, Englush and Biology and honestly, I know I wouldn't be getting A's and B's if I hadn't. It just ensures that when you start in September you hit the ground running, because if you don't prepare, the content can hit you like a bus and it often disorientates people. Knowing the stuff at the start or having the general idea will make sure that you're absolutely on top of it and it also makes you confident with the subject, which kinda makes you good at it. It's like if you know you're rubbish at Maths for instance, you will know your rubbish when you approach a new area of Maths and you will be rubbish at it. But if you convince yourself you're like a Mathematical genius, then you will approach the problem like a Mathematical genius! I've tried it, it works!

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11?

Harder though I didn't exactly have the thought of how hard or easy it would be before I started

Much more enjoyable than I thought they would be.

• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE?

Ho yes, a hell of a lot more supportive.

Well AS was easier haha, but nah, A2...though there was two AS modules I lived in history :yes:

History

Law (naturally because I want to do it)

YES - English Language & Psychology

Nah

• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted?

Yup yup:p:

• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year?

Oh yes I've learned a lot about myself as well over the last two years.

Yes...people need to stop saying to take this that and the other if someone does not wish to...and to stop saying it is so easy and crap (though yes in an Applied Business exam I DID lose all faith in the A level haha). If people wish to pursure a certain subject then let them , not everyone can do maths and sciences (ahem...ME:woo: ).

ReputationRep:
    Much easier content since its more organised- but more stressful

HEll YEAH!

LESS SUPPORTIVE, BUT MORE ENCOURAGING

A2'S! MORE STIMULATING- MY BRAIN GOT BETTER

MUTUALLY EQUAL! (MATHS CHEMISTRY PHYSICS BIOLOGY), ACTUALLY MAYBE BIOLOGY

MATHS & CHEMISTRY

NOOOOO!

NOOO!

HAHA WHATS A SOCIAL LIFE? BRING IT ON IN UNIVERISTY THOUGH! BUT AT PRIVATE SCHOOL YES- THEY ARE MORE RICHER!, STATE SCHOOL NO!

DEFINITELY, NOW I KNOW THERES MORE TO LIFE THAN "ROTE LEARNING"!

FOR ALL YOU AS'ERS:

please just do the work, i dont care how you learn as long as you do the work you will get A guarantee- YOUR FELLOW CLASS MATES WILL SUBCONCIOUSLY MAKE YOU FAIL BY "TALKING ABOUT EXAMS AND UCAS JUNK", my friends proved this for me SINCE THIS FILLS YOU WITH FALSE COMPLACENCY! YOU THINK YOUR ACHIEVING SOMETHING, BUT YOU ARE SIMPLY TALKING ABOUT THE TALK AND NOT ADDRESSING IT

1) remember this conondrum: you fail 100% of the times you don't try!
    so its best to work until you get it correct!

2) DON'T WATCH SKINS/ ADMIRE THEIR LIFESTYLE, IT ONLY WORKS IN NORTH OF ENGLAND, E.G. COUNTY DURHAM, BUT NOT LONDON, MY FRIENDS HAD TO PROVE THIS HYPOTHESIS THE HARD WAY!

think smart

ReputationRep:
    They were just as I predicted them to be - challenging, but once you got it, you got it.

Sometimes yes - sometimes I had no idea why someone would even want to study the material for a particular topic. Or why it was dreamt up in the first place.

Yes - MUCH more supportive I think, because of the smaller classes you get one to one attention!

Hmm...overall, I preferred the content in A2 - really stimulating, and at the same time hated A2 'cause it was too hard sometimes!!

Chemistry (unit 5...>.>)

Mathsssss!!!

Nooooooooooooooo

Yesss - Chemistry

Yes! Considering I spent a lot more time out during my A-level years than my GCSE years...that is saying something XD

In some ways, yes - I think Biology has really prepped me, but otherwise...I feel like I'm entering partially blind! The geek inside me makes me read some books before I hope to go to uni!

A level content was on the most part good (A2 definitely stressful and challenging but still liked the challenge). Exams...who likes them? XP
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? I expected them to be hard, but Chem was definitely harder than I imagined.
    • Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? English and French - yes. Chemistry - At AS yes, at A2 no. Maths - no, but that's probably because we did the A2 in one year and so we rushed through a lot of it, and I got rather confused
    • Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? Yeah - my teachers were generally more supportive, except one of my maths teachers, but he hated me anyway.
    • Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating- AS or A2 modules? English - both! French - A2 a bit more than AS. Chem - AS. Maths - neither...
    • What was your hardest subject? Chemistry
    • What was your easiest subject? English
    • Do you wish you picked other subjects? Not really, except I would have spread the maths over 2 years.
    • Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? Ha no. I dropped maths (surprise surprise)
    • Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? No - I went to boarding school...
    • Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? Intellectually? I suppose. Socially? I'm still a small child at heart. I'm definitely not old enough to go to uni
    • Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. Not really, I'd just like to get the whole ordeal over with!

ReputationRep:

I found Government & Politics and History a little easier than I expected them to be, Law about what I expected and English Literature was a little harder than I expected.

I was pleasantly surprised by History tbh, but that's because my teacher was awesome, really enthusiastic about the subject, and he actually seemed like he enjoyed being there - which is more than could be said about the rest of my teachers.

Law and History, yes, English Literature and (in particular) Politics, absolutely not.

I really enjoyed the Great Gatsby coursework (AS) and the 1984/Handmaid's Tale coursework (A2) in English Literature, the pressure groups module in AS Politics, and pretty much the whole of A2 for History.

Probably English Literature, but in a good way, I liked the challenge. Law was hard work too, though, just because you had so much to remember.

Politics.

I should have done Physics instead of Law :facepalm:

I carried on with my four subjects from AS, for some reason I got it into my head that it would look better when it came to applying for uni (although I got offers from all five unis, so maybe it did :dontknow:), but looking back, I should have maybe dropped Law because I found that it really kind of dominated over some of my other subjects, particularly when it came to revision.

Um, I could have probably sacrificed a bit more of my social life, to be fair :awesome:

Pretty much, yes. Politics is the subject I'm passionate about, so it'll be nice to get rid of the other subjects and focus on that for a while, to be honest.

Those two years went by very quickly :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    About what I expected. Didn't expect the amount you had to learn so be so big though.

No, sixth form was quite a let down. MEGA STRESSED the entire AS year!!

There have been good and bad ones

AS..having learnt some A2-not looking forward to the coming year.

Maths/FM

Sociology

Yes, sciences.

No, I wish I hadn't taken Sociology AS.

It seemed to be a choice of social life or work- not both. the more of a social life I had at times; the worse my workload got!

No, although I do have A2 to endure yet.

Don't think that AS is a year to doss in! AS really does matter A LOT. Do try and stay ahead of your subjects; read up on a topic you know you'll be doing next so you have that head start-it helps. Also, don't underestimate the time you have. 2 years fly by like that.

ReputationRep:
    • Were they as easy/hard as you thought when you initially picked them in year 11? ....as hard as I thought, yes. But I never realised biology would be as difficult as it was...thankfully I dropped it after the first year

• Were they as enjoyable as you had imagined they'd be? ....not really, I got bored after a few months, I enjoyed learning something completely different with psychology though

• Were your teachers as supportive as you thought they'd be, especially in comparison to GCSE? ....yep - apart from the biology tutor

• Which did you prefer/find more relevant/stimulating - AS or A2 modules? - AS probably

• What was your hardest subject? - biology

• What was your easiest subject? - english language

• Do you wish you picked other subjects? - probably would've gone for art over photography and wish I didn't pick biology for the first year and gone for law instead

• Do you wish you'd dropped a particular subject for A2 that you didn't? - nope

• Did you manage to stay on top of your work and have as much of a social life as you wanted? - yep

• Do you feel you are intellectually and socially equipped for further study at uni/employment next year? - definitely, but witht his long break it'll probably take me a while to settle into the studying mentality again :p:

• Anything else you'd like to say about your exams/A Levels in general. - thank god they're over!

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were about the right level of difficulty, except for Maths which was easier than I expected and Latin which was harder!

I found most of them more enjoyable than I was expecting!

I think I had a more positive relationship with my teachers at AS/A2 than GCSE, as they saw me as more of a contempory. This improved my view of the courses as well as the teachers.

I'd say definitely A2 modules because the concepts being taught were more complex and therefore more interesting.

Latin

Chemistry

I sort of wish I'd picked Further Maths, but there was no space on my timetable alas...

I would wish I'd dropped Latin, but I need it for any future offers!

Yes! At least, I thought so. Was a bit of a struggle close to exam time though revising all six!

Yes but only because I am more mature than before.

Nothing other than, it was a fun experience and overall I'm glad I chose the subjects I did.

ReputationRep:
    Harder than what I expected. I did an A Level in ICT and found the amount of coursework I had to do along with the normal work load as well as my other A Levels a bit hard but it was ok in the end.

Well in my first year at college I did A Level Biology and Business and did not enjoy them at all. So I dropped them and took up A Level Law, Sociology, Politics and carried on with the A2 in ICT. These subjects I did enjoy. However at the end of the year I did begin to get sick of Sociology.

I actually believed my A Level teachers were more supportive than my GCSE teachers. However my old Biology and Business teachers were just rubbish.

I prefered A2 modules.

Politics

Sociology

I'm glad I did ICT, Law, Sociology and Politics. However last year I did take up AS Level Psychology, but yet again I had a rubbish teacher who spent most of his time teaching us nothing. So within a month of starting it I decided to drop it and concentrate on my A2's. I would of liked to of had a good teacher in Psychology.

No, I'm really glad I dropped Biology andf Business as these subjects were not me. I think that if you are not enjoying a subject that consider dropping it unless the subject is relevant to get onto a degree.

Yes, I did manage to have a social life as well doing my college work. However there were times when I was very stressed out (which is the norm) with my A Levels but I believe it is worth it.

Yes I do, I know it will be different compared to college and I know that it will involve more self study, but I do believe it will to a challenge and I look forward to a challenge.

Well for me the time spent doing my A Levels and being in college is on of the best times I have had. It can be stressful so don't leave work/coursework to the last minute and out 100% into the work you do. I would also say choose carefully what A Levels you want to do and as long as you put in the effort you will do fine.

ReputationRep:

I thought psychology would be quite hard but it was probably my easiest. Sociology was easy from GCSE and didn't change too much to A Levels, just needed to know dates and names this time. English Literature was probably the biggest challenge.

English Literature got tedious at times, and for a period I didn't bother with it for two months.

Yes, much more supportive than in GCSE.

A2 modules, AS, you can resit, A2 most students have offers to meet, much more relevant.

English Literature

Psychology

I should have kept History way back at the start of AS rather than swapping it for Media.

Nope.

All the time, my social life has been non-existent for the past two years.

Intellectually, yes. Socially, no. It's going to be a struggle to make new friends but I'm quite warm in general, just rather quiet.

It's a shame they judge your ability on a few hour exams rather than the effort and work you've put in overall. Darn war literature.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.