Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I'm a greek student heading to Glasgow for a Msc sourse in September at Strathclyde.

I'm thinking about getting accomondation either at Blackfriars http://www.unite-students.com/studen.../blackfriars?# or the Liberty House on Miller street http://www.libertyliving.co.uk/resid...ow&action=cost.

Witch one would you recommend? From what I can see in the pics Blackfriars has somewhat bigger rooms but Liberty house has better location. Then again, the pics on their website can be misguiding.

Also, anyone in for the CCDSP course in september?

ReputationRep:
    Hm, Blackfriars is just across a Aldi, great for your daily shopping, and it's not really that far from Miller street away, so location should be a non-issue to be honest.

I might be still around then, if they accept my PhD application, but I'm marketing

ReputationRep:
    Hi , I am a french student and I am going to glasgow university in september! It's the same for me , I don't manage to choose between blackfriars and liberty house (and also victoria hall:eek: ). And I read a lot of strange stories about Unite . However , I would prefer blackfriars but , anyway , I am sure that pictures are fake and I fear I might be disappointed...

ReputationRep:
    I've had a couple of friends living at Blackfriars, never heard anything being wrong with it. The pictures on that site above are a little bit too clean but other than that, they are accurate.

Had one friend at Victoria Hall, and from what I saw, that wasn't as good as Blackfriars.

You sure you go to Glasgow University and not Glasgow Caledonia University? Because Glasgow University is a fair bit away (approximately 30min by foot) from all three of those locations.

ReputationRep:
    Yes , my university is Glasgow University. To be honest , I prefer being not far from center of town and walk a little to go to college. And I suppose there is the subway? Thanks for your answer , I am glad to hear good things about blackfriars!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, yes the subway...

And don't misunderstand me, I haven't heard anything bad doesn't mean I have good things to tell about it, to me as a visitor to my friends' places it was just better than Victoria Hall.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry , I understood ! thanks for your answers

ReputationRep:
    @lilyth
    the room pictures at the blackfriars website are definitely misleading.

Quoting the Blackfriars manager: "Unfortunately we do not have a picture of a classic en-suite room for Blackfriars on our website. The picture you sent in the last email is actually of one of our studios. The closest picture I can show you would be of a premium room at Blackfriars.Our classic rooms are slightly smaller than this, you would have less space available around the bed. "

So the pics you see is the studio. Premium is somewhat smaller and the classic en-suite room is even smaller.

Anyway being born and raised in Athens, I'm a big city boy so Liberty house seems better. Glasgow is a relatively small city comparing to Athens so I prefer to be as close to the city center as possible.

Lilyth if you choose Liberty house post here; We could meet up in glasgow

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but that photo with the girl in it seems okayish. The boy's room is definitely bigger than those I've seen.

And lol at choosing Liberty because it is closer to the city centre, these two places are not even 5min by foot from each other. And Blackfriars is probably closer to Merchant City, a nice place to be on a night out.

One of the best places to go to for students, with quite a few cosy bars etc, is actually at the other side of town.

Not sure what you expect from being right at the city centre? As a student you have to go shopping every day or so, and then having a supermarket right next door is really convenient.

ReputationRep:
    I know that there are not classic ensuite room pictures for blackfriars but I watched pictures of ensuite of others places belonging to Unite and I think it's quite the same .
    I think I prefer Blackfriars. Moreover with Unite we can pay in 8 instalments even if you are a visiting student , whereas we must pay in full with Liberty ...

ReputationRep:
    I stayed at Liberty House last year. Not only was the location great, the rooms were spacious and clean. I got on well with the staff there - they are so helpful!

I have friends that live in Blackfriars and if i had the choice again i would definitely choose Liberty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmithColette)
    I stayed at Liberty House last year. Not only was the location great, the rooms were spacious and clean. I got on well with the staff there - they are so helpful!

I have friends that live in Blackfriars and if i had the choice again i would definitely choose Liberty.

>>I'm leaning towards Liberty House too, but as a mature student (and a CDN) doing a post grad Ed. degree @ Strath., I worry about living with 8 others. :eek: And I worry about having flatmates that are way younger than me. I've done and am done with the party scene, but still want a social life!
    I guess my question is, would you recommend an ensuite or a studio to someone like me? A studio is a tad expensive for me, but if it means peace of mind without totally isolating myself, I'd do it.
    I appreciate any advice! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Personally my friends have told me that Blackfriars isn't a good choice - as it is not maintained properly and no one comes to fix it.

Generally Unite people don't have that good of a reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got pals that stay at Blackfriars and they havent had any problems i just looked at the website again (im booked in at buchanan view, owned by the same people) and the picture of the boy and girl sitting in the room is the same as the standard room my pals stayed in.

University open days

1. University of Strathclyde
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.