Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Salut

Right, I did my GCSEs this year and in the past year I have had a few horrible things happen in my life.

At the start of the year, one of the closest people in my life passed away, my paternal grandmother, whom I used to see at least a few times a week. I had watched her deteriorate, then get better, but her death came as a great shock to all of us.

From then, I had to watch another grandparent deteriorate, my maternal grandfather, and in march he passed away.

These two deaths seriously affected me, and I think they had an effect on my revision/exams. I became a lot different, and seemed to shy away from a lot of things.

And to add to it, in the half-term of may, during my exams, I was in serious pain for all of the holiday, and was in hospital with appendicitis, which meant that I lost a whole week of revision.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I think my grades are going to be less good than expected, and I'd like to know if this will hold me back when applying to Uni, because my GCSEs won't be the best. If I explained this to them, would they take it into account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    Salut

Right, I did my GCSEs this year and in the past year I have had a few horrible things happen in my life.

At the start of the year, one of the closest people in my life passed away, my paternal grandmother, whom I used to see at least a few times a week. I had watched her deteriorate, then get better, but her death came as a great shock to all of us.

From then, I had to watch another grandparent deteriorate, my maternal grandfather, and in march he passed away.

These two deaths seriously affected me, and I think they had an effect on my revision/exams. I became a lot different, and seemed to shy away from a lot of things.

And to add to it, in the half-term of may, during my exams, I was in serious pain for all of the holiday, and was in hospital with appendicitis, which meant that I lost a whole week of revision.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I think my grades are going to be less good than expected, and I'd like to know if this will hold me back when applying to Uni, because my GCSEs won't be the best. If I explained this to them, would they take it into account?

In short, GCSEs mean JACK. Just make sure you work hard for your A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    But don't some Uni's ask for 'x' A*s?

ReputationRep:
    Well, unless you're the most unluckiest guy in the world, move on.

If you don't get brilliant GCSEs, fine. Just make sure you get A-Levels that your ability is capable of and then you'll have nothing to worry about when applying to universities.

Although, like I said, that is based on the ideal that you're not incredibly unlucky. I somehow doubt however that you will lose another family member quite as significantly in the next 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    At least you have a legitimate excuse for failing.

ReputationRep:
    But don't some Uni's ask for 'x' A*s?
    They will only be bothered about you getting a decent grade in English and Maths. The rest really don't matter.

Good luck though

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what it is you're wanting to do at University, if it's something very competitive then Universities will look more at your GCSEs as another comparitive point (e.g for Medicine or Law), otherwise they're much more focused on your A-Level predictions, and grades you've already acheived at AS. You definitely have circumstances which disrupted your GCSE, and they will be taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you have applied for extenuating circumstances? Also, unis only require that you pass/do well in English and Maths really, so numbers of A*s aren't really a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    It depends on what it is you're wanting to do at University, if it's something very competitive then Universities will look more at your GCSEs as another comparitive point (e.g for Medicine or Law), otherwise they're much more focused on your A-Level predictions, and grades you've already acheived at AS. You definitely have circumstances which disrupted your GCSE, and they will be taken into account.
    I'd probably be doing something like physics, and I don't know how competitive it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    They will only be bothered about you getting a decent grade in English and Maths. The rest really don't matter.

Good luck though
    Depending on the course and university, that is simply not true.

ReputationRep:
    I lost both of my grandmothers whilst doing my gcse's and I still done well in them but you can't turn back time( unless you are The Docter :woo: ) so just do your A-level well and maybe inform the universities for why you did not do well in your gcse's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    This :yep:

Also, Meagz, I've been sat trying to do what your sig says. How embarassing *blushes*

ReputationRep:
    Salut

GCSEs matter for competitive courses - for example, LSE and UCL economics specify that you must have at least 4-5 A*s and no more than 1 - 2 Bs. Also, although most unis are less strict, they discriminate on them somewhat. When you apply, they only have your AS-levels, A level predictions, and personal statement and reference. If your applying to an AAA/AAB course, most applicants will have excellent A-level and AS-level grades and good Personal statements etc., so yes, GCSE grades may come into it, but the extent to which it does depends on the institution.
    Obviously if you apply to DeMontfort etc. this probably doesnt apply.

However, as you have a very good reason for doing fairly poorly, get your 6th form teacher to go on about it in their reference (notify them early on of your troubles and get letters from family, doctors etc.), and you should be excused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    This is just untrue - theyre used to discriminate between applicants, particualarly for competitive courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    GCSEs matter for competitive courses - for example, LSE and UCL economics specify that you must have at least 4-5 A*s and no more than 1 - 2 Bs. Also, although most unis are less strict, they discriminate on them somewhat. When you apply, they only have your AS-levels, A level predictions, and personal statement and reference. If your applying to an AAA/AAB course, most applicants will have excellent A-level and AS-level grades and good Personal statements etc., so yes, GCSE grades may come into it, but the extent to which it does depends on the institution.
    Obviously if you apply to DeMontfort etc. this probably doesnt apply.

However, as you have a very good reason for doing fairly poorly, get your 6th form teacher to go on about it in their reference (notify them early on of your troubles and get letters from family, doctors etc.), and you should be excused.
    Thank you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.