Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

While reading through a past paper I came to this question, which I became stuck on. I had a go at it and was wondering if you could check to see if it is right:

Last Monday, a class of studnets took a test, and the highest percentage score was 92%. When the tests were returned, the highest scoring student discovered an adding up error in her test. After correcting this, her score was 95%. Indicate whether changing the students score made each of the summary statistics increase, decrease or stay the same.

Provide Explanations

a) Mean
    b) Median
    c) Range
    d) IQR
    e) Standard Deviation

Here is my answer:

Mean The mean mark will increase because to work out the mean you have to add up everyones score and divide by number of students and as the mark has changed, then mean will.

Median The median mark will stay the same because the mark only effected the highest score student and not everyones mark was wrong.

Range The range will increase as the top score has changed meaning the difference between the top score and the bottom score is bigger.

IQR The IQR will remain the same as there is no effect on the upper and lower quartiles.

Standard Deviation The standard deviation will increase as the mean has done.

Thank you
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Seems good to me.

The standard deviation will increase because the deviation of an extreme value has increased, and by more than the concomittant increase in the mean.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by stem01)
    Mean The mean mark will increase because to work out the mean you have to add up everyones score and divide by number of students and as the mark has changed, then mean will.
    Fine, yeah. You might want to write it a bit more clearly, though, and state that as one mark has increased and the rest have stayed the same, their sum has increased, and so their mean has increased.

Median The median mark will stay the same because the mark only effected the highest score student and not everyones mark was wrong.

Range The range will increase as the top score has changed meaning the difference between the top score and the bottom score is bigger.
    Both fine. Again, you might want to be clearer on the median that the highest score doesn't affect the score of the person right in the middle.

IQR The IQR will remain the same as there is no effect on the upper and lower quartiles.
    Yep, but why?

Standard Deviation The standard deviation will increase as the mean has done.
    Why? (What's your definition of standard deviation?)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I thought that as the mean was in standard dviation and it increased, that it would as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I thought that as the mean was in standard dviation and it increased, that it would as well.
    sd measures how sprend out it around the mean. If the highest score increases then sd will increase because it is more sprend out around the mean.

Well, say something like that.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well, yes. But how do you know there aren't other factors involved? (As it happens, there are.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.