The Student Room Group
Well, the Royal Academy of Music is independent of UCAS...
Reply 2
Ah :s-smilie: I am defo using UCAS, just thought there was perhaps a easier way.
Reply 3
Yeah...
For part time courses you apply straight to the uni for the subject.
Reply 4
The only way I can think of is waiting to go through clearing,I did that and never went through UCAS,it may depend on the uni I know some still wanted you to fill in a UCAS anyway.

AJxx
Reply 5
The only uni I can think of that doesn't really require UCAS is the Open University....
I'm pretty sure UCAs is the only way...
Reply 7
Why don't you want to use UCAS? It is actually quite an easy way to apply to multiple courses and universities.
Reply 8
UCAS is the only way for full-time undergraduate courses.

If you apply through clearing you still use UCAS, I think that you just don't have to fill out the whole form?
It is possible to make an application directly to a University without going through UCAS, but not all universities will accept applications through this route and it's generally going to be quite a bit more complicated. You need to fill in a record of prior acceptance which can be obtained from the uni which offers to accept you. However, you make life significantly easier for yourself applying through UCAS and that is why the UCAS system is in place. If you're *really* interested in a direct application then there is some information here.
UCAS is the easy way - imagine having to sort out each application individually, writing different personal statements, getting 5 references, filling in all of the admin/application for each place and then keeping on top of all of the paperwork for the different apply systems/procedures they'd have you using. I can't imagine that would be much fun!
angelmxxx
UCAS is the only way for full-time undergraduate courses.

If you apply through clearing you still use UCAS, I think that you just don't have to fill out the whole form?

depending on the university, you can go through clearing without UCAS, you just need to contact the university directly
(I know someone who did it this way)
Reply 12
Could someone please tell me - if a UK citizen wishes to go to a UK university to read for an undergraduate degree, are they absolutely obliged in all circumstances to apply through UCAS? Or are there some circumstances where they can apply through some other channel, e.g. directly to the university?

The universities I'm interested in are Cambridge, Oxford, and Warwick.

Thanks for any help with this.

David
Yes, you need to use UCAS.
And, apart from certain circumstances (like organ scholar) you can only apply to Oxford OR Cambridge.
Reply 14
I applied to Dundee without going through UCAS by filling in a paper application and sending it by post, and got in(this was not through clearing), so I guess there are some unis which will allow you to apply without going through the ucas system.
davidne
Could someone please tell me - if a UK citizen wishes to go to a UK university to read for an undergraduate degree, are they absolutely obliged in all circumstances to apply through UCAS? Or are there some circumstances where they can apply through some other channel, e.g. directly to the university?

The universities I'm interested in are Cambridge, Oxford, and Warwick.

Thanks for any help with this.

David

Give the admissions offices at those unis a call or send them an email to see if they will accept a paper application. If you have specific circumstances for not using UCAS, there's a chance they might. Personally, as other posters have said, I don't understand why someone would want to complicate matters when UCAS is so simple to use, but each to their own! :smile:
Reply 16
I can understand the poster's concerns. I want to apply for a few courses which are unrelated, so my Personal Statement won't be able to fit all of them.
Reply 17
Nina M
I can understand the poster's concerns. I want to apply for a few courses which are unrelated, so my Personal Statement won't be able to fit all of them.

Ah :s-smilie: I was like this, but then I decided that chemistry was the option for me. Have you tried whitling it down into a single subject?
Reply 18
Nina M

You can ask the unis you want to apply to if they would consider a personal statement sent directly to them

Latest

Trending

Trending