Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I gained a stone in my first term, mainly from kebabs and alcohol. Every other term I've gained a few pounds but I've stopped drinking so much and hardly ever have kebabs or chips.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I gained weight, although that was mainly because I was hardly eating anything before I went and then went crazy eating things I hadn't let myself eat for years.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I was self-catered.
    Did u have a loss or gain of weight tho?

and thanks for the rep

ReputationRep:
    I gained

ReputationRep:
    I'll let you know when I get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    Did u have a loss or gain of weight tho?

and thanks for the rep
    Wrote it earlier in the thread.

And no problem, sorry for the wait on it.

ReputationRep:
    I gained weight - I was always broke, but pasta is the staple diet of all students, and pasta 5 days a week will definitely make you gain weight!!! Not to mention junk food... an awful lot of junk food
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I lost weight Not much, but enough to make me happy.

ReputationRep:
    I ate much more (catered) but lost a little weight. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Lol... all my friends started uni in Feb and they're all complaining about 'first year spread'... I expect I might lose weight to start with because I get overexcited when I have a tiny ounce of independence and forget to eat most of the time I'm away from home :/ Also, I'm stingy against myself, so you can bet I'll be eyeing the price of everything verrrry closely. We'll see...

ReputationRep:
    Went down two dress sizes between September-February. Mainly because I was eating what I wanted to eat (not what my mum wanted to) so ate healthier and went to the gym 3 times a week.

Then stress/exams, more partying post exams made me put on weight...back to my original size in September

Planning on going back down to the weight I was in February over summer and maintaining that over the year!

ReputationRep:
    at first, lost bout a stone, then gained about a stone and a half

ReputationRep:
    I gained about 8lbs in the first three or four months (went up from 10st 3lb to 10st 11lb); then my weight averaged out. I've been around 11st 2 - 11st 3lb since around January. I can cook for myself, and tried to balance my meals out in terms of nutrients etc as well as doing a 1 hour gym session 3-4 times a week which helped a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Gained. I was 9 stone when I left for uni- first year, I gained 10 pounds , then lost 3/4 pounds and all through second year I haven't budged from around 9.5 stone- but I think that's just because I joined the gym!

ReputationRep:
    Lost, and this was despite getting most of my daily calories from chocolate in first year :awesome: Study screws up my sleep cycle, which means I generally only have dinner in hall. Also I chose a policy in first year of never going for junk in hall (which they often serve) so if I have to choose between burger and chips or plain chicken breast and brocolli I now always go for the latter out of habit. I just knew if I didn't have an absolute rule that I operated by without thinking I'd turn into a blimp. Additionally I started using a gym for the first time in my life during exam term of my first year just to try and get a bit of fresh air and a change from sitting in a chair at the books. I've managed to keep the habit up, so overall its been a big improvement. I'm somewhere between a stone or half a stone lighter than when I matriculated.
    Many other people in my college became noticeably fat. I blame living off of the tastier but massively unhealthy options in hall.

ReputationRep:
    I gained a bit... I don't think the scales have shifted that much but I've noticed some trousers are tighter, and my dad has commented that I've put on weight (whether it suits me or not *glare*).

I think it's more alcohol than anything else. I eat healthier at uni than I do at home, and joined the gym.

ReputationRep:
    I came back half a stone lighter, and I still haven't put all of it back on. Not really sure how that happened! I walk a lot, I suppose, but I'm known for having a huge appetite.

ReputationRep:
    Lost a bit in the first couple of terms, but put it back on and then some later on.

ReputationRep:
    Thread title should be "lose weight" [/pedant]

ReputationRep:
    Went to uni almost 11st. Decided a couple of months later I needed scales: I was just under 9st. o_o

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.