Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've read in certain prospectuses that they'll give you extra consideration if your parents didn't go to University.

I know it's not a University, but my Mum has a degree from the OU (done part-time) so is that relevant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dozzer_Cufc)
    I've read in certain prospectuses that they'll give you extra consideration if your parents didn't go to University.
    I very much hope that isnt true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    I denied my parents went to university on my form.
    I dont remember ever being asked by any university, and I wouldnt have given out that infomation anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dozzer_Cufc)

I know it's not a University, but my Mum has a degree from the OU (done part-time) so is that relevant?
    I doubt they'd print information in a prospectus if it wasn't the truth to be honest!

Also, I don't think parents' qualifications should be taken into consideration, at all. Your application is all about you and what you have achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I dont remember ever being asked by any university, and I wouldnt have given out that infomation anyway.
    I'm sure it's a question asked by ucas. It was almost two years ago that i applied so i can't fully remember. But i definitely remember saying that neither of my parents went to uni. :dontknow:

OP. Is that really true? Seems a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I very much hope that isnt true.
    I don't know how true it is*, but it says it will be considered in the prospectus for Edinburgh (along with being local/having illness for a significant time) and several others.

*In the sense that it probably means bugger all when they come to consider it, it's definitely in the writing though.

ReputationRep:
    On ucas i remember it asking, but it also said that the answer would not be given to the university and would only be used for statistical purposes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it asked on the UCAS application form. I don't know what bearing, if any, its has on your chances though.

ReputationRep:
    It was asked on the extra Cambridge form but not UCAS form when I applied for entry in 2006.

I doubt its that true. Besides, its not unusual for people to be the first in their family to go to uni. The numbers going to uni has increased massively in recent years. When Tony Blair said that he wanted 50% of people to go to uni back in 1999, many Conservatives jeered at him and thought it a totally unrealistic target.

It might have been helpful back in the days where university was pretty much exclusively a hereditary-rich thing when the first efforts were made to increase diversity, but times have changed - even in the last 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    That can´t be possibly true.

ReputationRep:
    That can´t be true at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    There is a refuse option which I put down. Unfortunately they want the occupation of the highest wage earner in the house to so having had to put doctor for that it rather gave it away for me somewhat

ReputationRep:
    My question wasn't about if it was true, but does the OU count as 'going to University', as I think it categorically doesn't but I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    What uni's Never seen anything. Is it taken into consideration for Open Access Schemes? I'm a bit clueless about them.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure what you read wasn't about scholarships/bursaries?

ReputationRep:
    I know in Ireland you can sometimes be eligible for a bursary if you're the first person in your family to go to college, any other type of "special consideration" doesn't seem right though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    What uni's Never seen anything. Is it taken into consideration for Open Access Schemes? I'm a bit clueless about them.
    Edinburgh is the only one I can remember, I was looking through them earlier, and I'm sure I saw similar in at least one other prospectus.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    OU counts as Higher Education, and I believe the UCAS form asks if your parents have gone into F/HE (not if they went to uni after school or whatever), so you'd have to say that they have. I don't know if it means you get 'extra consideration' as such, but whatever difference it makes is likely to be minuscule.

ReputationRep:
    Its asked on UCAS (well it was when I applied for 08 entry) but its optional. I thought it was just used for statistics anyway.

I cant imagine it makes a blind bit of difference to your application

OP your mum has a degree, just because it wasnt from a brick university doesnt make it any less of a degree

ReputationRep:
    I remember mentioning on my UCAS form that my parents hadn't been to University. I don't think you'd be given extra consideration, anyway I think Open University does count.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.