Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl001)
    OP your mum has a degree, just because it wasnt from a brick university doesnt make it any less of a degree
    The question is did they go to University, neither did really, my mum studied part time from home.

Must count for less, surely?

ReputationRep:
    UCAS asks for it for statistical purposes only. Your university won't know OP so it won't make a difference although if you wanted to answer, you would have to put yes because your mum has a degree and that's the important thing.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS definitely ask it
    It is true
    and some universities use it but you have to opt in - certain universities have access schemes which you can apply too - and they may lower your offer by one grade - I have heard of Birmingham doing this if you're the first generation to go to university
    How very unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    UCAS asks for it for statistical purposes only. Your university won't know OP so it won't make a difference although if you wanted to answer, you would have to put yes because your mum has a degree and that's the important thing.
    It seems a strange thing to put in the prospectus if that's the case.

Thanks for the information people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dozzer_Cufc)
    The question is did they go to University, neither did really, my mum studied part time from home.

Must count for less, surely?
    Well no because its still a degree from a university. Just a different method of studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetdarling)
    OP. Is that really true? Seems a bit odd.
    Yes. For example see the Cambridge Special Access Scheme. Many universities have something similar.

ReputationRep:
    They definitely asked in the 08-09 cycle. It may help give you special 'consideration', but I'm not sure how great it'd be. Someone who's got better grades than you will still get the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl001)
    Well no because its still a degree from a university. Just a different method of studying.
    The statement said '' - If your parents did not go to University'', which implies that you actually have to go.

ReputationRep:
    Well.. it does not really matter . Personal merit is more important...

ReputationRep:
    The statement said '' - If your parents did not go to University'', which implies that you actually have to go.
    Stop trying to get around it. Your mum has a university degree, and as such as "been to university", whether or not this involved physical "going" as opposed to staying at home and studying. Sure, lie about it on UCAS if you must, but you've now been repeatedly informed that yes, yes it is a degree.

ReputationRep:
    I've read in certain prospectuses that they'll give you extra consideration if your parents didn't go to University.

I know it's not a University, but my Mum has a degree from the OU (done part-time) so is that relevant?
    This year (entry 2009) at least, it wasn't in the UCAS application. (I believe it never was..). Yet, as both my parents have just finished obligatory school, I found out and used a Special Access Scheme for University of Cambridge, which may have helped. I don't remember a similar thing in my other choices, but maybe I didn't research it enough (stupid me, I possibly could have got better offers if such stuff exists)
    Pfffff....

ReputationRep:
    there is an organisation in edinburgh called leaps and they help some pupils if their parents didn't go to uni or they had problems in their education. i think you can go to summer school before university and show that you are capable and it can help you get in even if you've missed your offer. Not 100% sure how it works really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Stop trying to get around it. Your mum has a university degree, and as such as "been to university", whether or not this involved physical "going" as opposed to staying at home and studying. Sure, lie about it on UCAS if you must, but you've now been repeatedly informed that yes, yes it is a degree.
    :p:
    Right, but the issue should be exhausted to be a potential valuable reference for someone else!

ReputationRep:
    I think they want to know for statistical purposes, not because they would give you any extra consideration.

ReputationRep:
    I've read in certain prospectuses that they'll give you extra consideration if your parents didn't go to University.

I know it's not a University, but my Mum has a degree from the OU (done part-time) so is that relevant?
    What they mean is that they may use this as a tie breaker, in the event that they have two candidates who otherwise have nothing to choose between them. The information given on UCAS is not passed on to the unis; if you read on with the Edinburgh statement for example it asks referees to mention if it is the case that an applicant would be the first in a family to go to uni.

The OU is a university as it awards degrees. In terms of answering this particular question, however, I don't know how Edinburgh and other unis would expect it to be answered. Similarly, what about someone whose parent/s went to uni as mature students (ie in their 30s/40s/50s)?. Why not ring them and ask?

ReputationRep:
    yes the question is on the ucas form - but i chose the option - "id prefer not to dislose" - as i think the question is completely irrelevant and just didnt like the way the information was probably going to be used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Why not ring them and ask?
    I shall in a few months time when it comes to filling in my choices, I was just curious what the opinion of people was.

ReputationRep:
    I think that for the purposes of deciding whether you have any role models in your family that will inspire you to perform well in A Levels and gain university entry, the OU is not the same as going to a real university, because there are no entry requirements. Whereas, parents who have actually applied for university, and gained entry will be better able to advise their children on the process and encourage them to succeed. This is why it can make a difference having parents that have been to university. So no, I wouldn't count Open University as 'going to university'. The difference is the competition involved in the application process.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure this is true,

(Original post by Cambridge University website)
    Cambridge Special Access Scheme (CSAS) for UK and EU students
    The Cambridge Special Access Scheme (CSAS) asks schools /colleges to provide additional information and a much fuller reference than usual. This enables the Cambridge Colleges to assess applicants more fairly, especially in deciding on appropriate levels for conditional offers.

All Colleges support the CSAS. You are eligible for the Scheme if either of the following apply:

Few people from your school/college proceed to higher education AND your family has little or no tradition of studying for a degree.
    Your education has been significantly disrupted or disadvantaged through health or personal problems, disability or difficulties with schooling.

Seems like you have to go to a pretty bad school as well but I'm quite sure this is taken into consideration. Have seen it on other universities too - it's not done through UCAS but something your school or you has to apply for separatley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinal)
    I doubt they'd print information in a prospectus if it wasn't the truth to be honest!

Also, I don't think parents' qualifications should be taken into consideration, at all. Your application is all about you and what you have achieved.
    Yeah but if you're parents didnt go to uni it generally means you'd have had a different or perhaps harder route to uni then people whom did.
    What i mean by this is those who's parents went to uni are generally encouraged and university is deemed the normal thing to do.
    For people.
    So uni's look at that as a 'you worked harder to get where you are' and might prefer that in their students.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.