Parents didn't go to University... Watch

Spinal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AshleyT)
Yeah but if you're parents didnt go to uni it generally means you'd have had a different or perhaps harder route to uni then people whom did.
What i mean by this is those who's parents went to uni are generally encouraged and university is deemed the normal thing to do.
For people.
So uni's look at that as a 'you worked harder to get where you are' and might prefer that in their students.
I think that's just making assumptions though. My parents didn't go to uni, I don't feel like I had a 'different or harder route to uni' than people who's parents did go to uni. Furthermore, I was encouraged to go to university by my parents.

When it comes to A Level (or equivalent exams), there's only so much parents can push/support you. If you want to do well, it's whether or not you as an individual have the right attitude to do well and succeed.
laeof
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Spinal)
I think that's just making assumptions though. My parents didn't go to uni, I don't feel like I had a 'different or harder route to uni' than people who's parents did go to uni. Furthermore, I was encouraged to go to university by my parents.

When it comes to A Level (or equivalent exams), there's only so much parents can push/support you. If you want to do well, it's whether or not you as an individual have the right attitude to do well and succeed.
Thats very true.
I think it depends on the area you come from though. I mean where i come from virtually no one goes to uni so i've had to work pretty hard compared to my friends whom parents virtually all went to uni and have mortgages and are quite well off. To them uni is a given and to me its earnt and not to be taken for granted.
jataylorlfc
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
^^i think thats the point, people complaining about this being inequality, if considered by universities in applications

should consider it more as a redress of the inequalities found between many of those whos parents went to university and so have the economic and educational capital to give their children more opportunities than most kids whos parents didnt go to university, and so are less likely to have the same cultural,educational and economic captial.
roubiliac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Choose the 'don't know' option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (49)
29.88%
No - I got the required grades (95)
57.93%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (20)
12.2%

Watched Threads