Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody

I've received unconditional offers for a Foundation Course from Warwick, Durham and Queen Mary, and now I'd like to make a wise decision.

Premise: I want to spend my undergraduate years (Business Studies) in London (hopefully KCL or UCL). KCL rejected my application for a Foundation Course and UCL doesn't have any available places left.

- Durham is good but incredibly too far away from London

- Queen Mary is situated in London but I'm not sure how prestigious their Foundation Course is (somehow I doubt KCL will accept it)

- Warwick is in Top5 and few hours away from London and has a good Business School

I'd go for the Warwick, but maybe I'm missing some pro/cons here. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Btw, I'm waiting a reply from Kingston.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter84)
    Hi everybody

I've received unconditional offers for a Foundation Course from Warwick, Durham and Queen Mary, and now I'd like to make a wise decision.

Premise: I want to spend my undergraduate years (Business Studies) in London (hopefully KCL or UCL). KCL rejected my application for a Foundation Course and UCL doesn't have any available places left.

- Durham is good but incredibly too far away from London

- Queen Mary is situated in London but I'm not sure how prestigious their Foundation Course is (somehow I doubt KCL will accept it)

- Warwick is in Top5 and few hours away from London and has a good Business School

I'd go for the Warwick, but maybe I'm missing some pro/cons here. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Btw, I'm waiting a reply from Kingston.
    Durham's two and a half hours (or so) away from London. At least by train anyway. It's a fairly quick and direct journey, being on the east coast mainline, so it isn't too bad. I've been to London on day trips from Newcastle and haven't found it too taxing. So I don't see how a couple of trips or so every term will be an issue? Get to see another region of the country and a beautiful one too! :awesome:

Oh darn, I'm an idiot. The foundation programme (and, indeed, business undergrad programmes in general) at at Queens Campus, Stockton. That means you'll have a little bit more of an incovenience as you'll need to travel to either Darlington or Durham to get the train. So that does add a little bit of extra onto the journey. About half an hour or more.

Why do you doubt KCL won't accept Queen Mary's foundation course? Do you know much about its content?

As for Warwick then yes, it is closer to London than Durham is. Both are, generally speaking, of the same standard although Warwick's business school is certainly the stronger. So it does, on the face of it, seem like a good choice. Can you think of any disadvantages? Have you visited the campus as some say it's a bit like marmite. Some love it but then others find it too claustrophobic.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

I'm an international student so I can't enter UK unless I have a Visa, so no, sadly I can't visit neither campus in order to make better decision.

However, I've just found out that Warwick Foundation Course (called Warwick HEFP) is actually officially and publicly recognised by 2 very importan UK unis: Imperial and LSE.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/electrica...ryrequirements
    https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enq...&searchString=

I haven't found any other Top10 unis that recognize Durham or QMU foundation courses (I know I know, they rarely do it publicly).

So, even though I love big city environment (=probably won't like Warwick campus too much), I believe that I should invest my next year at Warwick with their highly respected Foundation Programme, this way I'll be able to spend my next 3 undergraduate years in London (KCL/UCL).

What do you think? Does it make sense?

On the other hand, if I accept QMU offer, I'll:

- live in London
    - have almost a guaranteed place as an undergraduate at QMU (so 1Y+3Y)
    - have less chances to enter KCL/UCL

To be honest I don't know QMU very well, is it on the same level as KCL or slightly lower?

And what if I'll receive an offer from Kingston, should I consider it?

ReputationRep:
    Btw, do you have any idea whether Foundation Courses give you some UCAS credits or not?

ReputationRep:
    Durham isn't great for business, Warwick is better. Have no idea about Queen Mary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Durham isn't great for business, Warwick is better. Have no idea about Queen Mary.
    But it's a foundation year so it doesn't matter. You still get the Durham name attached to it.

As a campus, Warwick is far superior to Queen's Campus. There's a lot more to do on the campus in Warwick.

To be honest, go where you want to as a foundation year will only help you get into the undergraduate degree. If you want to live in London, then QMUL is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you guys.

The question is: I wanna do undergraduates in London (KCL/UCL) next year, which Foundation is the most respected that will allow me to enter those unis? KCL rejected my application due to low grades, UCL doesn't have any places left.

From my understanding:

QMUL Foundation: it's great if you wanna do undergraduate in QMUL.

Durham Foundation: idem, but a little bit more respected due to Durham reputation

Warwick HEFP: looks like it's the most respected in UK considering that both Imperial and LSE publicly accept it (in Engineering, not sure about Business).

Can you confirm my conclusions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    But it's a foundation year so it doesn't matter. You still get the Durham name attached to it.
    My point was that the Warwick name will get you further

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    My point was that the Warwick name will get you further
    No it won't. Read up on Universities before you actually go and tell people the wrong information.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to continue the whole 'this uni is better than that one'. Any admissions team (and graduate recruiter) worth their salt will base their decisions on the department over the reputation of the university as a whole.

Op, take the advice of a business and management graduate, or an a-level student - your choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    I'm not going to continue the whole 'this uni is better than that one'. Any admissions team (and graduate recruiter) worth their salt will base their decisions on the department over the reputation of the university as a whole.

Op, take the advice of a business and management graduate, or an a-level student - your choice
    I'm not simply an 'A-level graduate.' Three years of work experience in real estate and plenty of research is what gives me my opinion. Just because you're a graduate in Business and Management doesn't mean you know it all. Just get your facts right because you're giving incorrect information to people who are looking for genuine opinions.

Also, you'll be surprised at the amount of HR departments that fail to see which departments are better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    I'm not simply an 'A-level graduate.' Three years of work experience in real estate and plenty of research is what gives me my opinion. Just because you're a graduate in Business and Management doesn't mean you know it all. Just get your facts right because you're giving incorrect information to people who are looking for genuine opinions.

Also, you'll be surprised at the amount of HR departments that fail to see which departments are better.
    All the main graduate recruiters will know the departments, it's their job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    All the main graduate recruiters will know the departments, it's their job.
    And many don't do it properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter84)
    Hi, thank you guys.

The question is: I wanna do undergraduates in London (KCL/UCL) next year, which Foundation is the most respected that will allow me to enter those unis? KCL rejected my application due to low grades, UCL doesn't have any places left.

From my understanding:

QMUL Foundation: it's great if you wanna do undergraduate in QMUL.

Durham Foundation: idem, but a little bit more respected due to Durham reputation

Warwick HEFP: looks like it's the most respected in UK considering that both Imperial and LSE publicly accept it (in Engineering, not sure about Business).

Can you confirm my conclusions?
    If you really want an undergraduate in London then Queen Mary for a foundation would be ideal as you will know the area. I've made an assumption that you will be living in intercollegiate Halls of Residence during your foundation course. That said it doesn't stop you from travelling around.

I can't really speak for reputation because it's against my ethos. It will only turn me into a super-lefty. But here's a novelty: I'm at Durham and I'm not recommending my own like some sort of fan club member.

ReputationRep:
    In my personal opinion, the Warwick program is more respected than the other options given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    In my personal opinion, the Warwick program is more respected than the other options given.

Indeed, that will most likely be the general consensus displayed by admission teams/graduate recruiters

ReputationRep:
    why do you actually want to go to KCL/UCL??
    UCL doesn't even have business or it's not that good.
    LSE will be a much better option

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Thank you very much for your replies, I appreciate it. I guess this week I'll confirm my place at Warwick.

I'd go for the QMUL if I had an intention to do my undergrad there, but I actually wanna go to KCL (I'm considering LSE too but I guess it will be a little bit harder to receive an offer).

ReputationRep:
    I have received an unconditional from Kingston too.

Am I right to decline the Kingston's offer since its Foundation Course is way below Warwick's HEFP (I suppose)?

Sorry for this questions but I can't visit these places and talk to people until I have a Visa.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.